Skip to content

Bad news :(

TaisharTaishar Member Posts: 27
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I just played BG2 for the first time and I can't do it. The graphics are terrible and the UI is so clunky! Is this what the EE will be too? I know you guys love the game, I remember loving the game, but maybe modern graphics and games have spoiled me :(

Comments

• DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    YES!!!! I just posted this version on IWD2, I just recently started replaying it and omg I'm worried I can't do it now =(
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Well, if your PC is set to stretch the game to a Widescreen resolution instead of keeping the Aspect Ration (and having two black bars) then the game might look kind of bad.
    It is advisable that you keep the game at 4:3 instead of 16:9 or 16:10 if you're not using the Widescreen mod :)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I have this problem with fallout 1+2
    I can totally relate to it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I fully played through vanilla BG1 on 640x480 just this year and I LIKED it. I didn't even notice the eye-cancer inducing pixel storm that was going on. But yeah, you can't force that on anyone. I'd say something about the spoilt youth of today getting off my lawn, but you're probably at least as old as me :)
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Did you try installing the Widescreen mod? It helps keep things from being a total eyesore.
  • TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member Posts: 10
    I've no problem with the BG graphics. Heck, I even finished Pool of Radiance all the way through Pools of Darkness again a few months ago :P
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    Well, @HaHaCharade seventh saga is a bit too much, even when that game was a new release i didn't like it, but it's a matter of taste.

@Taishar, as @sandmanCCL said you can use bigg's widescreen mod, that is found here

Don't forget to raise BG configuration for the max, as the game, no matter your PC always put middle configurations in default and today any pc can use the max resolutions from the old BG II.

Post edited by kamuizin on
  • alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    Back in my day the best graphics we had was a white bar on a black screen! I swear you kids today are spoiled with your fancy ultra high definition what-cha-ma-hoozits!

I kid, of course :P
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited September 2012

I like the BG graphics still... am I the only one? Hell maybe I play old games too much... I play BG and IWD a lot... and Dragon Warrior IV on my NES Emulator... and Seventh Saga on my SNES emulator... and King's on Dosbox... I probably need to "Get with the now". lol.

Kings Quest VI was the best of them all. I used to play that game at my grandparents before the internet, so when we got to the underworld in the game... [Spoiler]It took me and my brothers forever since we were a young age to figure out "death" as the password needed to open the doors to the king of the underworld/hell (or whatever that place was called)[/Spoiler]

Good times :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    My only issue with fallout 1 was the gameplay (turn based stuff). My friend keeps telling me you get used to it, and I'm sure you do, but I have not really gotten into it yet.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    I'm fine with the graphics in BG2 or Tutu. BG1 on the other hand does look a little too dated for me.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    elminster said:

I like the BG graphics still... am I the only one? Hell maybe I play old games too much... I play BG and IWD a lot... and Dragon Warrior IV on my NES Emulator... and Seventh Saga on my SNES emulator... and King's on Dosbox... I probably need to "Get with the now". lol.

Kings Quest VI was the best of them all. I used to play that game at my grandparents before the internet, so when we got to the underworld in the game... [Spoiler]It took me and my brothers forever since we were a young age to figure out "death" as the password needed to open the doors to the king of the underworld/hell (or whatever that place was called)[/Spoiler]

Pawn Shop Owner: Good day Prince Alexander!

That game was the shite!
  • TaisharTaishar Member Posts: 27
    Thanks all, I will try that mod. I want to be able to play, i love the style of the game. Tactical thinking and strategy combined.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    CamDawg said:

Where was the balance? That duck was totally overpowered. >:-(
  • GridianGridian Member Posts: 50

I actually wish developers would put less focus/money/time into graphics and more into party mechanics/gameplay/story

Unfortunately that will not happen. Nowadays you usually only sell a game when it's shiny. Clueless game testers made sure of that.
  • KalindorKalindor Member Posts: 51
    elminster said:

[Spoiler]It took me and my brothers forever since we were a young age to figure out "death" as the password needed to open the doors to the king of the underworld/hell (or whatever that place was called)[/Spoiler]

I thought the password was "love."
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    edited September 2012
    If you find a game with some many details in every area like we have in BG series, just tell us... Infinity Engine is way better than actual engine, we don't need to max out all options (AA x32, blur motion, HDR, ...) to have a high quality image.

I have played recently Max Payne 3 and BF3, ok it's completely different but still, IE is better, here we don't have useless option which use 80% of your memory or processor just to add a useless effect
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    WOW @CamDawg, i played that game if it's the Atari game i think it is.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Yep, the password is 'love'. Such an awesome game. Cliche maybe but I feel I was spoilt with quality of games when I was younger, Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis, KQVI and of course BG.

'They just don't make em like they used to'
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    The only problem with BG graphics is the low resolution it was made in. If sprites/backgrounds were remade in modern higher resolution, it would look fantastic. Everybody who would say that it still look bad simply doesn´t understand what graphic is. One should look at graphic as a picture. Polycount with high-res textures doesn´t make graphics.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    The BG:EE screenshots that we've seen thus far look like they have really smoothed out the sprites considerably. Or am I just remembering the game as grainier than it actually was? It's been many years for me now since I played.

Also there will be a zoom feature in BG:EE. Which I'm guardedly optimistic about, actually. There's no definition to the faces in the Infinity engine. Zoom might tend to emphasize that comparative graphical shortcoming with other games.

Anyway, I'm very curious how the zoom will work out. I expect that there will likely be a sweet spot for the zoom level that improves resolution just the right amount.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Nostalgia always clouds the mind. I just hope BG will be fun on the iPad 3, as that is what I plan playing it on. The touchscreen interface should make the gameplay interesting.