Skip to content

SoD's Inventory Lag

First of all, let me preface this by saying that I'm playing Siege, and enjoying it.

I consider it money well spent, and am not bothered by its, shall we say, more contentious aspects.

I fully intend to keep supporting Beamdog, and as far as I'm concerned, Baldur's Gate 3 can't come soon enough!

With that out of the way, I'm opening this thread to try and alleviate a problem I'm having with the game, and one which is impacting my enjoyment of it to such a degree that it's becoming almost unplayable. It's not a bug per se (hence why the thread is here, instead of the bug section), but it might as well be, considering how annoying it is.

Beamdog, what the heck happened to the inventory?! Why is there a 300+ milisecond delay every time I try to transfer an item from one slot to the next, or one character to the next?! Inventory management has become an exercise in utter frustration! We're up to version 2.0 of the game, and you've somehow managed to make it LESS responsive?! How? Why? And no, it's not my PC or Windows -- everything worked fine up until Siege hit!

Also, it's no longer possible to split item stacks by double-clicking on them! A single click has the effect of 'sticking' the item to the mouse cursor, and the only way I've found to split a stack is by dumping it into a container, and then taking out items one by one. I'm starting to get PTSD every time my paladin loots a stack of potions or gems, because I know that I'll soon be spending the next 60 seconds wrestling with a broken system that was working fine up 'till just a week ago!

Guys, WTF?!

Please, fix it!

Or at least tell us how we can disable this new 'functionality'!

I love you all to death, but this kind of bull***t is unacceptable!

Doubly so because it broke something that was entirely functional!

(On an unrelated note, I'm loving the new scripts, and I think they're really well done!)

Anyway, this entire thread might seem pedantic and trivial, but when a game is so heavily based on item management, and there's only a limited number of inventory slots, then item shuffling becomes a necessary evil, and one that soon turns out to be completely unmanageable if the UI and mouse become unresponsive. I honestly couldn't care less for that 0.5-second preview window, especially since it's managed to wreck the inventory!

Please tell me you're already working on a patch!

Comments

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

Also, it's no longer possible to split item stacks by double-clicking on them!

This definitely still works just as it used to.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Way too much writing and anger for an issue that's already being discussed and investigated here : https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48317/i-do-not-like-the-simplification-of-character-details-in-inventory-ui#latest

Share your system specs so we can determine why it happens to some people and not others.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    Hmmm, seems my earlier answer was swallowed by the browser...

@Messi
    Dunno, not for me.

@GrimLefourbe
    I'm angry because I care. Regardless, I narrowed the issue down to the new advanced AI - if even one of my characters has it, the inventory lags. If I give all of them other, older scripts, the problem disappears. Go figure :/
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Well that's exactly why you should have gone on the other subject, it does seem to have an impact, could be an hint as to what provokes it.

It looks to me like it's a result of improved AI+ inventory highlight.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    Strange that it's causing delays at all, what with the engine itself being old-school tech buffed by new code that polished and streamlined it even further. Infinity Engine games were never resource hogs. The thing that really surprises me is that there's no lag or delay in combat, even with all 6 characters running the new advanced AI+, but as soon as I try to shuffle inventory, the game decides to make life a pain.
  • Swifty_MageeSwifty_Magee Member Posts: 229
    edited April 2016
    Messi said:

Also, it's no longer possible to split item stacks by double-clicking on them!

This definitely still works just as it used to.
    Unstacking items doesn't work for me often. Sometimes I can split items fine, other times I can't. So far I can't seem to narrow down why it works/doesn't work. If I quit and reload the game, sometimes the feature starts working again.