Skip to content

DILEMMA OF 15 YEARS

pablomnipablomni Member Posts: 94
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
When I played the BGS had about 15 or 16 years old, the way he looked and perceived things were equal or chords to a teenager. Today at age 30, married, separated, with my firstborn among rows and already gained experience in labor, vision and analyzing things changed radically looked like back then. While it would not accept the Machiavellian dictum that "the end justifies the means" make a dent in many walks of life and where there is self-interest above the common good, in that the "rational actor" (game theory) is one that seeks the best and most optimal decision is the decision that's right for me ..... I think that when I sat down to play this wonderful game again, my gamer profile could distance much that elected 15 years ago when I played for the first time. You people in the community are saying about it?

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    15 years is a long time. A lot can happen in your life during that amount of time.
    edited September 2012
    (Is that the right answer?) DesiSmileys.com
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    pablomni said:

When I played the BGS had about 15 or 16 years old, the way he looked and perceived things were equal or chords to a teenager. Today at age 30, married, separated, with my firstborn among rows and already gained experience in labor, vision and analyzing things changed radically looked like back then. While it would not accept the Machiavellian dictum that "the end justifies the means" make a dent in many walks of life and where there is self-interest above the common good, in that the "rational actor" (game theory) is one that seeks the best and most optimal decision is the decision that's right for me ..... I think that when I sat down to play this wonderful game again, my gamer profile could distance much that elected 15 years ago when I played for the first time. You people in the community are saying about it?

I don't understand a word you just said.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @pablomni Sorry but I didn't understand you either.
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    That's an interesting question (and come on, it was understandable, you guys should be more flexible^^)

I, as @Shin, make my decisions in rpgs as if it was the real me in that world. That said, I think that my decisions would be more or less the same I took when I played the game the first times many years ago (for me let's say 10 years, I started with BG2), I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad one :) .
    I would still play as Legal Good most of the times, and as intellectual characters like mages
    Honestly, nope I can't say my approach to the game is any different. I'm expecting to love playing it again. Although I wonder if I will have the same tolerance for some of the more tedious aspects. And I'm not sure if I have it in me to play through the whole saga anymore. It used to take me 3-4 months.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Jalily, thank you for interpreting and editing the op's words into a coherent state. Was he or she a non-English speaker trying to use a translate software, or was he or she a foreign language student who has not mastered idiomatic English? Either way, I am quite sympathetic to the op's language struggles. If I were to try to post something in French or German, my two foreign languages, I wager that I would need a similar friendly, diplomatic soul to come around and "translate" my attempt to communicate with the French or German speakers.

Addressing what the OP asked, I myself already had my basic ethical outlook of lawful good established when I first played BG at age 25 or so.

However, I also had the same lawful good or lawful neutral life philosophy well-established when I was 17 years old and playing D&D for the first time as a senior in high school.

So, I really can't relate to having a "me first" philosophy of life since about age 14. This was the age where I underwent baptism in my childhood church, pleased my beloved grandmother, and genuinely perceived a fundamental change in my nature after the ceremony. I spent the rest of my life after that until even now, having a life outlook of empathy and compassion for others.

You have to combine what I just said with my philosophy of rpg gaming - I see these games as a psychological projection of my true nature into a completely uninhibited game world, where I am very or even absolutely powerful. I play them as an empowered expression of my core psyche. And I choose good over evil, absolutely and always.

I would actually not trust a person in real life if I knew that they enjoyed playing evil in games. I think that who you are in gaming is exactly who you really are. It is your true self, given absolute power. If you play evil in games, I think you should feel guilty.

And I fully realize that many if not most people are going to sharply and vociferously disagree with me on that philosophy of rpg gaming.
    edited September 2012

I would actually not trust a person in real life if I knew that they enjoyed playing evil in games. I think that who you are in gaming is exactly who you really are. It is your true self, given absolute power. If you play evil in games, I think you should feel guilty.

You know, I feel a little bit like you regarding people who play as evil. Well, maybe it's not that I don't trust at all who plays evil characters, but I really don't like do evil things even in a fictional world.
    Maybe sometimes there's a reason, for example my teen-age brother usually plays evil characters, teenagers are angry with the world -_-'
    I guess from a Jungian standpoint there is the "Shadow," and fiction/fantasy (here in the form of a game) arguably helps people integrate that side of themselves in a safe way. Not consciously, I'm sure, for most people. But it would still have that function in the psyche. In theory, at least. I think there is probably more than a grain of truth to that idea.
    @Fredjo, you remind me of my first experience trying to speak German to a tourist group of native speakers who had been invited by my college German instructor.

I tried to say one thing to a pair of ladies: "Thank you for the visit." So, guessing that the word for "visit" was of neuter gender, I said "Danke fuer das Besuch." Turns out that the word is actually masculine in gender, so that the correct expression is "Danke fuer DEN Besuch."

Both ladies laughed long and loudly after I said "Danke fuer das Besuch,", and one of them said, "Danke fuer DEN Besuch!", followed by more laughing. Then, they turned around, and walked off without another word.

I have never forgotten this experience. Some people, of any nationality, are just jerks. A**holes exist in every language and culture, around the world.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited September 2012
    @Sophia @belgarathmth While I agree with your outlook and also fairly exclusively play good-natured characters in games, I don't agree with the notion that choosing to play evil characters would say something about the player's morality. Or rather I would say that belgarathmth's theory holds a certain amount of water, but only when applied to people who play the game seriously, really immerse themselves and imagine themselves in the shoes of their character.

And not everyone plays it that way - some people view it as a deep experience with a significant personal involvement, while others view it simply as a distraction to have a laugh with. So it's all about the context.
    I have a friend who is about as gentle-natured as you can get in RL, and he always tends to go for the dark side in RPGs - but he's not the kind of player to spend weeks thinking about the morality or behaviour of his character or write up a detailed biography - he just doesn't get involved on that level.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I don't think that playing a game the evil way makes you evil. Not at all in fact - I tend to role play a game the way I generated my character, and if I were like my characters, then I would have a quintuple personality I guess.

I *do* however agree that if one person finds happiness in doing evil things in a game, then that's a problem. Hell, if I act evil in a game I'll feel guilty and filled with remorse for half a day, if not more. But I do it to see the other perspective. I'm not evil for it, neither I am good - I am a gamer (playing as a female doesn't necessarily make me a girl, does it now? :P )

As for how I played the game 15 years ago. Well... I didn't speak English... and I played the English version. Long story short - I have no idea what I did. I do remember killing most Flaming Fist guards stopping me simply because of "wrong" answers given. So evidently my point of view changed, if only from being completely oblivious to someone that actually *realizes* what he's doing XD
    Huh? Someone summoned me? @Fredjo I don't think your hostility is justified, I wasn't making fun of anyone. I genuinely had a hard time understanding Pablomni's post, and wasn't trying to be a jackass.
    edited September 2012
    @Adul, oh, okay, you are vindicated as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: I reread your post. It looks like you simply said "I don't understand".

So, upon review, I'm not sure why @Fredjo thought you were making fun of the OP.
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    When I first played BG it was BG2 and I took my time creating the character, reading through all the descriptions, etc. What was really hard for me to understand were the alignments. I wanted to play a character with an alignment that would reflect my personal views of the world and I couldn't decide which alignment to take based on the descriptions, they all just seem very fabricated and with little relation to reality to me.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    @belgarathmth Now that I think of it, my fellow nationals (Czechs) make fun of foreigners speaking our language all the time, but it might still get more prominent when a native speaker of a lingua franca of its time acts like that. Summon @Azul II: In that case I apologize for my fervor (can't find a better word :P)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited September 2012
    Good thing most probably no one on these forums speaks my mother tongue then, so I can brag about how "good" I am at it, bwahaha! (I, quite sadly, am better at English than at my Mother Tongue. And I admit it openly XD )

But let's not turn this thread upside down, shall we?
    Maybe one thing has changed in the way I play this game, 10 years ago I was quite sentimental about NPCs :) , I wanted to change my party members sometimes but I ended up always with the same people because I didn't have the heart to let them behind ^^. Luckily, I don't have these feelings anymore :)
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    tilly said:

Fifteen years ago... I played good aligned characters and not much has changed.

Now I am finding that I don't like to work in evil characters into my party, because it means I have to lower party reputation by randomly killing innocents or not doing a whole of quests which raise reputation.

And even neutral characters are annoying with their complaining at the party doing good deeds.

I also take choices in game more seriously (unless I've started to think the game is a joke), so I don't purposely harm people or otherwise do things I wouldn't do in real life. (except, you know, risk my life and all that ;3)

In other words, I've become much much more anal since my teenage years! :p

I'm not so sure we can trust you as it's pretty obvious from your portrait you're up to no good! (Btw my portrait is that of an Chaotic Good Half-Orc from my last run of BG1+2, but he wasn't THAT Good all the way through :D)

edited September 2012
    @cyberhawk, we've had several threads debating the utility or strength of the D&D alignment system to describe or pigeonhole human personality.

My opinion - it is a weak theory of personality, because there are way more than seven human personality types, or ethical philosophies.

The system is oversimplified as a convenience for gaming. There may be the seed of an interesting ethical or personality theory in it, but it should, as a whole, be taken with a grain of salt.

In a nutshell - do you believe in order and discipline? Choose some variation of "lawful". Do you believe in individual expression and personal freedom, especially the kind that makes fun of "stiff, stodgy, overdisciplined, pedantic, cops, enforcers, teachers, judges, rulers, etc., etc.?" Then choose some variation of "chaotic".

Do you have an empathic nature, and care what other people feel? Then choose some variation of "good".

Do you mostly just care about yourself and your own power over your environment and living conditions? Then choose some variation of "neutral".

Do you delight in the suffering of others, especially if they have wronged you or made you feel smaller or weaker? Do you just get a kick out of wielding power over others? Do you love to take revenge on people who have somehow thwarted you? Do you feel intensely passionate hatred and love of destruction? Then choose some variation of "evil".

The alignment system is meant to be only a starting guideline for character development, and never a straightjacket.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited September 2012
    @belgarathmth I wasn't frustrated, just stated the fact, in the hopes that either the original poster or someone else reading the thread would kindly explain more clearly what was said in the first post. And thanks to Sophia, that happened just so. The internet is the internet. People here will always misunderstand each other over petty things like this and I don't think we need to wear out our keyboards further talking about this little communication fiasco.

And to contribute something to the actual discussion, I believe it's okay to do evil things in a game and to enjoy them, as long as you keep in mind that it's not reality and while your actions in the game bear no actual consequences, reality is quite different in this respect. For example, it's quite okay to play GTA 2 and enjoy the carnage you inflict upon a horde of innocent bystanders, as long as you understand that doing anything similar in real life would be a reprehensible act and would draw irreversible consequences.

And yes, I also used to try to max XP, stats, gold, and loot acquisition in games like Baldur's Gate when I was a kid/teenager. Nowadays that doesn't happen often, as I prefer roleplaying my characters and playing casually over obsessively collecting in-game rewards.
    edited September 2012
    @Adul, sorry for my unfair statements. If you will look above, you will see that I edited my post to remove the unfair statements.

I think I must have succumbed to the human falibility of 'mob mentality'. You didn't make fun of anybody. You simply said that you didn't understand. I didn't, either, until I scrolled down and saw the "translation" that had kindly been provided.

Mea culpa.
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    @belgarathmth yeah, the underlying personality theory is somewhat simplified and nowadays I choose the alignment that will be most useful to me during gameplay anyway, regardless of what the description is. I do avoid giving thieves something gooder than chaotic good, my thieves are usually that or something more towards neutral. It isn't a big deal, it is necessary to have simplifications since it's a game, not a scientifical work on human personality and psychology. But it's funny to remember myself sitting there, and getting confused like that. "I can relate to both neutral and chaotic good, what should I pick?!"