Skip to content

Star Trek -- please stop inserting politics into Science Fiction

killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
November 9, 1966

Dear Sirs,

I am offended by your new show 'Star Trek'. When I go to the drive in to watch a science fiction movie I expect to escape the troubles of the day. When I turned on the TV I expected a show filled with lasers and robots not lectures about the virtues of race mixing. Your show is clearly an allegory for the United Nations and the main set of the program is nothing more than an attempt to shoehorn the agenda of the civil rights movement into America's living rooms.

Now I have nothing against negroes or chinamen but I do object your hamfisted portrayal of the characters. If you are going to put a negress on the screen her character should be fully developed and do more than simply answer the phone. At present the characters 'Uhura' and 'Sulu' serve no purpose except to signal support for race mixing. Indeed a good friend of mine, a negro himself, sees the Uhura character as a token.

I ask that you either remove the Uhura and Sulu characters or fully develop them. To do anything else will be to destroy the legacy left by fine shows such as Lost in Space.

Sincerely yours,

Comments

• BillyBroBillyBro Member Posts: 62
    Who the hell still watches Star Trek?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

I dont get it...
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Best topic ever!
  • BillyH666BillyH666 Member Posts: 96
    I disagree with the politics of the Emu War personally, The Australians were totes in the wrong.
    edited April 2016
    Shar said:

Well...someone has to answer space phone. Its not like they would have answering machines in the future. Plus anyway it pales in comparison to The Real Question- Kirk or Picard.

Oh, please, that was solved years ago. The answer is obviously Captain Harriman.

Purudaya said:

Inb4 moved to off topic - I wanted to make a post just like this :D

When Star Trek showed the first interracial kiss in television history, you can BET there were angry armchairbros screaming about politics being "shoved down their throats." Only because the "writing was bad," mind you.

Yeah, but the internet didn't exist yet. I love the internet, but it sometimes makes things worse... Poor internet, it just wants to help people :(

• ElGuapoElGuapo Member Posts: 37

Anyone who took issue with such a brilliantly-written show was clearly a racist and/or homophobe, regardless of what they actually say. There's absolutely no valid criticism that could be made of this show whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ-ATwRq5KY

That episode with the Gorn is actually one of my favorites :)

It gets bashed a lot though.

• prem0nitionprem0nition Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2016
    "Spock's Brain is written terribly"

"There's another 78 episodes of Star Trek, why are you concentrating on that one small piece of the original series?"

"Because it was written terribly?"

"You just don't like the idea of Transvulcanism. How Technophobic of you!"

"???"

Two can play at that game :tongue:

• BillyBroBillyBro Member Posts: 62
    I thought all star trek fans died from old age or heart failure related to obesity and or psychiatric pills.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816

Anyone who took issue with such a brilliantly-written show was clearly a racist and/or homophobe, regardless of what they actually say. There's absolutely no valid criticism that could be made of this show whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ-ATwRq5KY

People have so much trouble with this for some reason.

If you were to criticize *that* scene or the writing generally, then you would not be a racist or homophobe.

If you're a straight white dude nitpicking to death the portrayal of minorities that you feel have been "forced" upon you, then you might be.

Hope that cleared things up :)
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    @SharGuidesMyHand well it could still be made more diverse. Kirk used to score with alien babes every other episode, lets have him score with alien dudes in equal measure. Maybe rename the show a little. Brokeback Trek? I think i'd watch it...
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=7xSOuLky3n0
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    edited April 2016
    Not a good analogy, in my opinion. Progressive themes will obviously not stick out in a science fiction show which is supposed to take place in the future as in a medieval-based fantasy role playing video game.

Why not make a comparison with a medieval-based fantasy show like Game of Thrones?

In Game of Thrones, there are strong female characters who defy gender roles like Arya and Brienne, but they are considered weirdos, basically. There are also LGBT characters, but they are considered degenerate perverts by society at large.

Is this because the author is a bigoted male chauvinist? Not at all. To my knowledge, George R. R. Martin is a fairly progressive liberal. He just respects his works of art, that's all.

If your work of fiction takes place in a medieval-based setting, this will have some inevitable ramifications. If you ignore this and place progressive themes left and right unsparingly, the quality of your work will surely drop.
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    Nihilus said:

If your work of fiction takes place in a medieval setting, this will have some inevitable ramifications. If you ignore this and place progressive themes left and right unsparingly, the quality of your work will surely drop.

While we're at it, let's get rid of that "Females of the realms can excel in any area they wish" rubbish. I don't need that on-the-nose nonsense thrust upon me every time I create a character, and we all know medieval women didn't have a good time of it.
    edited April 2016
    Purudaya said:

The Forgotten Realms does not take place in a medieval setting, it takes place in a high fantasy setting. People travel across alternate dimensions and talk with giant floating masses of eyeballs.

The Forgotten Realms is a medieval fantasy setting, and Baldur's Gate is a medieval fantasy franchise.
    Ammar said:

Purudaya said:

The Forgotten Realms does not take place in a medieval setting, it takes place in a high fantasy setting. People travel across alternate dimensions and talk with giant floating masses of eyeballs.

Exactly - after all people also have accepted female emancipation. So much for "medieval setting". Just as Star Trek is an idealized version of the future, High Fantasy is often an idealized version of the past.
    That's about as on the nose as you can get.

If this were a medieval setting, a black guy named Sarevok wouldn't have almost become Duke of Baldur's Gate.
    Nihilus said:

Purudaya said:

The Forgotten Realms is a medieval fantasy setting, and Baldur's Gate is a medieval fantasy franchise.
    But by your logic, we then have to apply medieval realities to Baldur's Gate. That means no women's advancement and no black characters rising to power. If you're ok with those things being handwaved, why is LGBTQ inclusion any different?
    edited April 2016
    Purudaya said:

Nihilus said:

Purudaya said:

But by your logic, we then have to apply medieval realities to Baldur's Gate. That means no women's advancement and no black characters rising to power. If you're ok with those things being handwaved, why is LGBTQ inclusion any different?
    You realize I am not the creator of the original games, right? You should ask them. I'm guessing they thought skin color based racism among humans would be redundant when you have elves and dwarves around. (If this matter occured to them at all.)

In any event, it's not at all strange that many people think an interquel which proposes to bridge the two original games should have a similar atmosphere to them.
    Post edited by Nihilus on
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited April 2016
    Nihilus said:

In any event, it's not at all strange that many people expect an interquel which proposes to bridge the two original games should have a similar atmosphere to them.

Indeed. And many of us think this is the case. So?

While we're at it, let's get rid of that "Females of the realms can excel in any area they wish" rubbish. I don't need that on-the-nose nonsense thrust upon me every time I create a character, and we all know medieval women didn't have a good time of it.

You would be right if that line was uttered by some NPC in the game for no apparent reason other than a heavy handed attempt to educate the players that men and women are indeed equal. But it's just the game UI reassuring the player that gender selection will have no effect on class selection or stats.

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    You have some seriously weird ideas about what the medieval era was like. It definitely was not like the Forgotten Realms, except perhaps in terms of a few trappings.
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    Nihilus said:

You would be right if that line was uttered by some NPC in the game for no apparent reason other than a heavy handed attempt to educate the players that men and women are indeed equal. But it's just the game UI reassuring the player that gender selection will have no effect on class selection or stats.

Well I hardly see why that's necessary. Plenty of RPGs allow the player to choose their gender, and none of them needed to "reassure" me. Obviously I'm going to assume men and women play the same unless I'm told otherwise.

And the way they phrased it? "Females are easily the equals of their male counterparts?" They could have just said "This choice won't affect your stats", but no, they have to go all feminazi on us. I GET it. Women can do things too.
    Ammar said:

Indeed. And many of us think this is the case. So?

Well, good for you. Others seem to disagree. I haven't started SoD yet, but I hope I will in your camp when I do. I was troubled by Amber Scott's interview, but many who played SoD said she didn't change the characters as much as she said she would. And the opposing camp didn't respond to these feedback with concrete examples. So I'm hopeful.

Well I hardly see why that's necessary. Plenty of RPGs allow the player to choose their gender, and none of them needed to "reassure" me. Obviously I'm going to assume men and women play the same unless I'm told otherwise.

And the way they phrased it? "Females are easily the equals of their male counterparts?" They could have just said "This choice won't affect your stats", but no, they have to go all feminazi on us. I GET it. Women can do things too.

Why are you resorting to reductio ad absurdum? No one brought that up as an issue. Should I make a "count argument" like "Why are there only male and female in gender selection? Why isn't there 71 options like in Facebook?"