Skip to content

Change character portraits for Ust Natha

RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
*Spoilers for those you haven't played through BG2*

Pretty much what the title says. I'd think it would be pretty cool if for BG2:EE we could see Drow versions of the character portraits for you and your party.

Though in the case of when the player pics a custom avatar either have it switched to a default Drow male/female portrait or leave the custom portrait for the duration the player and party are disguised as Drows.

Comments

• CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    It does seem like alot of work for a component of the game that only lasts around 30-40min.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    30-40 mins? I've just spent half the day (possibly more) traipsing around the Underdark/Ust Natha in Drow-guise. lol

Though I suppose I do tend to try and complete every little sidequest lol (I've ruined a few games because I've taken too long at something and have been discovered as a surfacer).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It lasted plenty longer than that to me. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this, though. If every "default portrait" (the ones you can choose at character creation) had an Ust Natha alternate, it would be fairly easy to just swap it.

Or as another idea, create twelve alternate portraits--one for each gender for each party slot--and then assign them dynamically based on the party member's gender.

Although I'd also want an exception for Viconia, who really ought to stay the same.
    @Aosaw I more or less agree about Viconia, though I wouldn't mind a portrait that is only slightly different in that she's wearing a more recognisably Drow outfit.

Having twelve alternatives is a good idea, but what I personally would want to see is Drow versions of the portraits available in BG2 (including NPC portraits and ones the player can choose). That we get to see what Anomen, Minsc (just imagine lol) or Nalia and so on look like as Drow.
    Oh, I'd love that too. An artist could really get creative with them. I just would worry about time being a concern.

And there's also the inevitable "Why can't I use these portraits for my protagonist" question that would stir up the forums...
    @Tanthalas along with a Drow Edwina. lol

@Aosaw Time could be a factor, I'm not sure of how much time it takes to programme in the feature or how long it would take an artist to make the pieces of art. Though hopefully there is and this isn't too much to ask of the BG:EE team. *fingers crossed*

As for the "why can't I use..." thing, there is always the custom portrait feature.
    Actually programming it wouldn't take that long. It's mostly the time required to create quality portraits based on the originals.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Hm. I wonder what Boo looks like as a drow?
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited September 2012
    Tanthalas said:

Edwina needs a portrait first.

If i good remmember, in BG2 already is Edwina portrait ( and very good one ), but game ( for some reasons ) do not using it. It is similar thing like Artemis Entreri ( his NPC is also in game, but game do not using him ).
    Brude said:

Hm. I wonder what Boo looks like as a drow?

Space Spider :D

Post edited by Edvin on
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    Perhaps such a thing could be implemented with a mod, however changing every npc's portrait into a drow seems like a laborious task ;)

For those who use custom portraits, such an change would have no benefit for them.
    @kiros, you could probably set it so that a default portrait is used based on your gender if you're using a portrait that doesn't have a "match".
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i don't think they would need to drowify the portraits. adalon states that she changes you into drow group she dispatched earlier, thus changing you into existing drow.

i guess 12 portraits should do, like Aosaw said. keep in mind this is like a whole portrait pack. could be a nicve feature i guess.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I think this would be neat but I wouldn't ask that they spend time redoing every single portrait for this one part of game play.
    I'll have to admit that I'm somewhat ignorant of the time and effort it takes to make those portraits. To me it didn't seem like a big request when I made this thread. Though I wouldn't mind being enlightened if anyone does know what it takes to make those pictures.

Also @bigdogchris I would expect these portraits to be available for the player character to use as their avatar if they so choose (meaning more use out of them) if they want to roleplay as a Drow or an Elf of that skin colour.

Though in the case of choosing one that's the alternative portrait of a companion they could treat it the same as choosing the default portrait for said companion and have them change to another portrait from the start.

Also I believe that it has been said that someone from the team on this forum (or on Reddit) were trying to make sub-races work for BG:EE, but couldn't. However they did mention perhaps getting them to work after sometime after release (through DLC I imagine). Then I can see those portraits becoming more appealing to players.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Just do an "invert colors" on the portraits and there you have it -- instant drow! :P
    @Mortianna lol

Korgan: I'm just a very short Drow! Never mind about my ears.
    @RedGuard ...with a beard, no less!
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited September 2012
    I'v read a lot of suggestions around here, but this one is probably the best.
    At the same time smart, original, useful, pleasant and easy to implement.
    Thumbs up!!

PS: and yes, on the same note, an Edwina portrait is a must!
    PPS: poor Viconia, though... :( she doesn't get to have two portraits like anybody else! No, wait, she does. :P
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    You'd probably need at least one female Drow in the party to be taken at least semi-seriously by the matriarchal culture. Who gets to play the woman in an all-male party? ;)
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    LadyRhian said:

You'd probably need at least one female Drow in the party to be taken at least semi-seriously by the matriarchal culture. Who gets to play the woman in an all-male party? ;)

Edwin, Anomen, Valygar in this order.
    @LadyRhian

BhaalspawnPC: Hey Edwin... I've got this neat new belt for you to try on.

.....then later we can maybe share this bottle of Red Wine together depending on how it, er, looks on you.

:P
    @Avenger_teambg I'd say Anomen first... Let him see for himself if women are capable of doing things. Yes, I hated his romance dialogue opening. He's such an ass.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @LadyRhian Cool, that'd be prime for new dialogue!
    "Missing something?" ;)
    edited September 2012
    I wonder if Drow Anomen would have more or less of a 'face you could just slap' than he already does? I like the character overall (he is what he is), but he is an ass at times.
    Post edited by RedGuard on
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I think he'd keep making mysterious late night trips to the massage parlour.
    @LadyRhian and @RedGuard Anomen is the archetypal pompous ass. He's straight out of those tacky Victorian romance novels. All the more reason to have a least a few women on the development team for quality control.
    @Mortianna Yeah, I think it's meant to be obvious. He feels like the writer was aware what Anomen would be like and intended him as being that way. That's why I have him in the party more times than not.

Though it is a shame that he's the only female protagonist romance option. I expect that must have been a timing issue, I can't really picture many people wanting to saddle you with just him as an option. lol
    @Mortianna Yes, he is. And that's the reason why I literally have to grit my teeth to play that romance. I am hoping Dorn and Rasaad are better. Though if they go back to romance novel tropes, I can see Dorn being an Alphole (Alpha Asshole). I am desperately hoping this isn't the case.