Skip to content

so why did they change the way banter works?

one of the things that bothers me about sod is the way banter is used. in bg2 [ and the npc project mod for 1] it was the same text box as the rest of the dialog. now it's the dragon age style which causes issues when banter starts in the middle of fights so i can barley hear it. why did they change it when it worked fine before?

Comments

• FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited April 2016
    This is the way it was in BG1 and SoD in an expansion for BG1. I also think they should have done like BG2. There are things they were not allowed to change to the main games, so I don't know if that's a detail they could change. It never happened to me during combat, but often there's someone else (or even the same character) saying some other random comments on top of the banter.
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    In a livestream they said that they chose to do it this way so the gameplay could continue to flow. Nothing to do with engines since ee is basically a turbo charged version of bg2 engine.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    It is indeed closer to what BG 1 did with the original NPC, but strangely enough it differs from the way they handled their own new NPCs in the past.

I would have preferred the old style dialogue with pause as well.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    In original BG1 I often found I missed banters because of the other sound effects (it was always particularly hard to hear what someone said when it was raining.). I haven't played SoD yet so I don't know whether it is possible but can't you just turn the subtitles on so you can read what people have said?

In original BG1 I often found I missed banters because of the other sound effects (it was always particularly hard to hear what someone said when it was raining.). I haven't played SoD yet so I don't know whether it is possible but can't you just turn the subtitles on so you can read what people have said?

You can and you should. I still find it harder to concentrate on it as your focus could be elsewhere for a moment, e.g. you are already on the way to a merchant.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    Yes, you can read the subtitles at least. But if it happens in the middle of a fight each line of banter would be lost among the dozens of combat lines.
    I would suppose they do not trigger in the middle of combat? The scripts should be that smart.

They could probably trigger a few seconda before combat, which would be almost equally bad.
    Francois said:

Yes, you can read the subtitles at least. But if it happens in the middle of a fight each line of banter would be lost among the dozens of combat lines.

It's been a while since I played (and since the latest update I can't play at all because my outdated operating system can't handle it anymore) but can't you turn off all the combat information about die rolls, damage etc? That way you can just read the banters and you don't have such a wall of text.
    Maybe someone can revert it to bg2 style.
    Ammar said:

I would suppose they do not trigger in the middle of combat? The scripts should be that smart.

They could probably trigger a few seconda before combat, which would be almost equally bad.

That happens in BG2 as well though. Just when you have buffed your party and are about to go into battle someone launches into their life story or decides it is a good time to get romantic.
    Ye but least ur not engaged in combat. I also remember bg2 didnt trigger lots of convs in dungeons or underground.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Isn't there a Tweak Pack component that forces the game to pause during all dialogue? Has anyone tried that with SoD?