Skip to content

Bard's Book to Sorcerer Style?

Is it possible to make a joinable NPC use a Sorcerer-Styled Book, and still be a Bard?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
    Define "not really."
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    So how do they get it to work in Icewind? If I'm not mistaken, Bards are Sorcerer-Styled in Icewind. It uses the same Near Infinity Engine, so why exactly can I not make it possible?

I'd like to see what the real reasons are, I'll assume it's down to some hardcoded issue, but the specifics would be nice to hear.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Bards aren't any different in Icewind Dale, but they do get a few more spells (up to level 8th).
    Maybe it's my mistake then, I swear they memorise things in a Sorcerer-Style for Icewind.

*Shrug*
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Having just farted around in Icewind Dale a little bit, I can confirm that the bard there uses the same spell style that the Baldur's Gate one does.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Bards only did cast like Sorcerers within Icewind Dale II. That game used both a different D&D edition's ruleset, as well as a higher version of the Infinity Engine.

So, theoretically, you'd need something like a IWD2-in-BG2/IWDification2 mod that ports the IWD2 engine into Baldur's Gate. Which was even planned at some point a couple of years back. But ultimately kicked the bucket due to devastating bugs, afaik.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Running through IWD right now, and I can verify that Bards need to memorize spells from their spellbook just like mages. It would be fun if they could cast like Sorcerers, but alas they cannot.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

Bards only did cast like Sorcerers within Icewind Dale II. That game used both a different D&D edition's ruleset, as well as a higher version of the Infinity Engine.

Not to hijack the thread, but is Icewind Dale II 3rd or 3.5?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Maybe it's my mistake then, I swear they memorise things in a Sorcerer-Style for Icewind.

*Shrug*
    Icewind dale 2 and its 3.5 rules maybe?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Not to hijack the thread, but is Icewind Dale II 3rd or 3.5?
    Icewind Dale II uses D&D 3rd edition, mostly. If I remember correctly the game was developed before 3rd edition hit the shelves. Which would explain as to why some things may seem like a mixture of AD&D 2nd edition and 3rd edition.
    I keep forgetting Icewind Dale 1 was a thing...

Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say Icewind Dale II. It's the only one I ever really invested time into, again sorry for all the confusion!