Skip to content

Prejudice in the fora

GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
This has been a rough week or so around these fora, but the air of prejudice is stifling, and as a disrespected minority I am getting sick and tired of it. Every time there is a disagreement, the 'bad' people are branded as sinister, having a sinister agenda, performing sinister actions. I happen to be left handed and I take offense at having everything I do being associated with evil badness!

The dextrous folks have it so easy. The BG authors pander to them as an audience, even naming the best stat in game after them! Heck, if I want to use my limb of preference, it is at best an 'off-hand', always takes a penalty, and functions only if I have a melee weapon weapon in the hand that can only be deemed 'right'. Where is my left-handed sling?!

This blatant prejudice even goes as far as BeamDog's own marketing material:
"An iron shortage of unknown origin threatens to plunge the city of Baldur’s Gate into conflict with Amn. Meanwhile, there is something else at work, far more sinister than you can even begin to fathom..."

While I have not played the game in other languages, I am sure that the same disdain shown to me in my native language must follow there. I will not be happy until a fair and balanced portrayal of gauche folks like myself is present in the game.

Now I understand the simplest and safest way to progress is to remove offending content, rather than undertake the onerous task of creating new, believable content that blends into the existing world - especially in the controversial area of the new UI. So I have a simple request which I will take as a step of faith that you are making progress to address this awful bias. If you just remove the right-handed paper-doll from the game (without breaking the essential UI flavor) I will believe you are working in the best interests of the community.

Thank you for listening by reading.
TeflonSilverstarSkatansemiticgoddessNimranAutequiVictor_Creed_SFVronaldo

Comments

• Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    Lol.
    Teflon
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    #LeftHandsMatter.
    ronaldoGreenWarlock
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    I blame the Greeks.
    Silverstar
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    iKrivetko said:

I blame the Greeks.

I think we can stop blaming the Greeks for everything. This is obviously the work of hated Carthage.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    This is one of those cases where the Greeks are actually to blame. They were facing north when observing omens while the Romans were facing south up until the moment when they started copying the Greeks for some reason. Sinister even used to mean "lucky/auspicious" and the like in Latin before that shift.
    GreenWarlock