Skip to content

Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough

LiluraLilura Member Posts: 148

Update (July 23, 2016): This walkthrough has been completed in sixteen parts. Enjoy!

I have undertaken to write an in-depth walkthrough for Beamdog's Siege of Dragonspear expansion for BG:EE. I would like to think it's EZ to find answers in my write-ups, but lemme know if you have difficulty and I'll try to help. This is a WiP, the posts being actively revised by me in light of my progression. Ten posts are complete and they're fairly polished.

The sort of things this walkthrough covers: main quest, side quests, companions, itemization, combat encounters, reactivity, quest and kill experience rewards, and general pro-tips (among other specifics that are spoilerish to mention). Plus there are some pics for companions, dialogue, encounters, items and maps, where appropriate.

This walkthrough should appeal to newbies because it eases into things and doesn't overload with Too Much Info and stats (some TMI and stats are present, but they're typed in a smaller font and easily ignored).

Anonymous users may now post comments. Newbies, veterans and devs alike are encouraged to share insights: the blog is moderated and comments are reviewed prior to their posting in order to ensure trolls and bigots stand no chance.

Links contain rigorous spoilers, but you can safely click Part I for a look-see because it contains clearly marked spoiler warnings.

Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part I
Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part II
Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part III
Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part IV
Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part V
Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part VI
Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part VII
Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part VIII
Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part IX
Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part X
Siege of Dragonspear - Companion Breakdown
Siege of Dragonspear - Item List

Enjoy!
Post edited by Lilura on

Comments

• mewp12mewp12 Member Posts: 61
    How do I get out of the bedroom? I see stairs but it won't let me take them.
    After creating a party now I meet my old party. Should I change?
  • LiluraLilura Member Posts: 148
    edited April 2016
    Any one know what to do with the magic tree?
  • AzzaraAzzara Member Posts: 184
    edited April 2016
    Lilura said:

Support the vamp against its hunters. Turn on Ikros & Isabella. Tsolak will thank you, tell you to watch for its messenger, and slink off into the darkness. There is no quest reward for taking this route and the coffin is unlootable.

I did get a reward for that quest. A very fast regeneration item. The vampire doesn't have it on his person. His messenger does.
    edited April 2016
    As the walkthrough states, the posts are being actively revised in the light of my progression.
    Post edited by Lilura on
    edited April 2016
    Lots of ppl just want to know who the companions are, where they are and what stats they have:

(massive spoilers)

Siege of Dragonspear - Companion Breakdown

Siege of Dragonspear - Item List

Again, these posts are being actively revised in the light of my progression. I'm quite enjoying the Siege campaign so far, and I hope that shows through in my posts. :smile:
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    I like the depth and comprehensiveness of your walkthroughs @Lilura. I'll be sure to use them for reference in my next playthrough.
    I'll probably do the same :P
  • cndrowcndrow Member Posts: 8
    @Lilura Hi hi, greatly enjoying your walkthrough! I've been lamenting for a good one for weeks and I'm so, so happy I found yours.

One thing to add: Amazingly enough, Voghiln is romancable, but this isn't listed on your character breakdown (which is FANTASTIC, by the way).
    Thanks, cndrow. This is a pretty EZ walkthrough to write compared to some I've done (mainly because the campaign is fairly linear). But yeah, charbreakdown needs to be updated with romances options, maybe with even some proper romance treatment down the track.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Lilura I've just found this playthrough of SoD by David Finch, it starts at https://siegeofdragonspear.wordpress.com/page/4/ and contains maps and items. Maybe you can take some info from it ;)
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    As an encouragement: I thought that the undeground river was one of the best areas from the expansion.
    I really hope I end up agreeing with you.

The last three areas have been borderline borefests (Coalition Camp, Dead Man's Pass, Dragonspear (courtyard).
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    Watch out, the undeground is well bugged, or better, the undeground is made in a way that if you do not follow a given route you will miss or ruin some mission, about 3 missions so far, in easy words, if you meet the druid before the sicks, missiong probably gone, if you meet the running drown, before those who were looking for them, mission probably gone. Watch out from it. Bye.
    Hi, LoveViconia. And thank you for the warning - and PM, too! I've seen lots of RPGs with broken things over the years. That's why I keep lots of saves, just in case.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2016
    It's not broken. It's just not designed with the intention that you should automatically be able to succeed in every mission you come across. Like real life, there is an element of luck involved.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    It's by far the best written and detailed walkthrough available for this adventure, so thank-you for once again plugging away at it. Always visit for more and have read a number of your NWN module adventures as well.
    Thank you for the kind words, Sylvus_Moonbow!

I like to write walkthroughs that flow and tell a bit of a story along the way; I have come to dislike the soulless wiki-style and flavorless brevity of many guides in recent years.

Sometimes it's hard to write in that style for Siege, especially when there are so many lil' quests that take the steam out of the plot, but at least the player can see the order in which I did things and know that way will work for them, instead of getting lost in a sea of fragmented info-bits.

I think my Snow Hunt, Bastard of Kosigan and Aielund Saga walkthroughs are the most free-flowing and EZ/fun to read. I wish I could read stuff like this written by others; afterall, there isn't enough time in one's life to exhaust all the great NWN community content freely available to us all.

• VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    Fardragon said:

It's not broken. It's just not designed with the intention that you should automatically be able to succeed in every mission you come across. Like real life, there is an element of luck involved.

It's not broken per se, but I think it's not well designed. Basically, if a player normally plays through side quests by handling them as they encounter them, they will encounter the dark druid and deal with him before encountering the sick soldiers. So if we deal with the dark druid in a certain way before meeting the soldiers, we're locked out of completing that quest. So one really needs to explore the entire map and collect all quests before finishing any if they want to be able to complete all quests successfully. It's kind of counter intuitive to what many RPG players are used to.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2016
    I think we have become accustomed to too much hand-holding. Not every quest needs to be completable.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    I prefer if not all quests are able to be completed in one run, it's because of our actions and decisions, not because we killed off one quest NPC who is one of the first people we encounter on the map and then later encounter a quest which has no other options.

From a role playing perspective, a good aligned party would assist the Druids above ground and not just leave the dark Druid alive arbitrarily because the player decides to fully explore the map before finishing the quest. And a good aligned party would help the sick soldiers.

An evil party would side with the dark Druid and wouldn't care about helping the sick soldiers.

So IMO, the game forces us to rely on meta knowledge in order to complete both quests if we're going to role play.

That's fine for encouraging multiple play throughs to access missed content. But I don't consider it hand holding if every single other game in this genre would at least provide some clue that killing an NPC now will prevent later quest completion.