Skip to content

MINOR Additions for GREATER Realism

ryu1ryu1 Member Posts: 76
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Firstly, these ideas may have already been mentioned so apologies for anyone reading these more than once. Please include links to the original posts. I believe that these ideas do not affect the game significantly (excluding one suggestion), they are merely little additions which I personally feel would make BG more realistic and more...well...satisfying and pleasing. I also know that it may be a little too late to include any of these in BG1:EE but perhaps in BG2:EE...?

1. When we find ourselves in Waukeen's Promenade, the first thing I noticed was the amount of stalls and shops selling all manners of goods: the usual armour, weapons, items etc but wait! What's this? Huge baskets of delicious-looking food and you can't even buy a single apple! I would like it if you could buy food which, ofcourse, would act as a consumable just like potions. Perhaps eating foods can heal the consumer a certain amount of HP: an apple - 5HP; loaf of bread - 10 HP; big chunk of roasted salted meat (mmmmmmmh!) - 20 HP. Or something along those lines. This relates to the very charming and fun Priest Spell - Goodberries, where a single goodberry provides 1HP (cute spell but lets be honest...almost completely useless!).

2. Adding food to the game can also provide opportunities to include new quests such as purchasing various types of food for a poor family or beggar where you can gain exp, info or positive repuation. Although these quests won't be hugely challenging, I think it just adds a bit more variety from the constant exploring and fighting. Also I think giving beggars money should also provide something such as each gold coin provides 1xp, or they can give info on current or new quests.

3. Again concerning food (as you can tell, I like my food...mmmmmh pizza!), perhaps when we buy some flour and an apple - stacking them together can produce an apple pie which can give double the HP than they would when consumed individually! Or combine cabbage and beef to produce a stew...

4. Stepping away from food, I want to discuss the knowledge and lore of Wizards when identifying items. Instead of wisdom and intelligence being the deciding factors, perhaps a person's lore can be increased by opening and reading books. So many books in BG and how often are they used? Maybe introduce a basic points system where the more books read, the more chance they can identify items - since knowledge is power!

5. The Steal option for thieves when shopping should definitely be updated. If a thief has a reasonable steaing points, is enchanted with Luck and drinks both the master thievery and perception potions, they can pretty much steal anything. In terms of realism, if a merchant only sells 15 items and a thief steals half his stock then surely the merchant must get a little suspicious. Maybe if a thief successfully steals something, then there's a -20% chance to succeed in stealing the next item. If another item is stolen then there's another -20% chance, making an overall -40% to succeed and so on until -99% chance.

6. Coming back to food for the last time, perhaps introduce a travel-food pack for when your party travels to far away areas. Purchasing one allows your party to travel to a far area without succumbing to hunger (and potentially cannibalism!). If a party travels without one, they can lose HP depending on how long they travel for. This would be more useful in BG1:EE I would think...and I suppose this would affect the main gameplay but just a thought.

Anyway, that's my rant over. Please feel free to share your thoughts, especially if my ideas are too retarded for words!

Comments

• RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited September 2012
    I think it's too much work for something that just isn't needed or would necessarily suit the overall game. Baldur's Gate isn't really about realism.

I also wouldn't worry about your post being "too retarded for words". There is already stiff competition on these boards for that title.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Don't think I didn't catch the subtext there, @RedGuard. I know you were talking about every post I ever make ever. ;)

@ryu1 The idea has merit, but as others have said (or will probably say again), I don't think that there's a need for it in the game. Parts of it make me think of Oregon Trail, and other parts of it make me think of Skyrim.

What I do like is the idea of food being a potential source of hit points. Maybe eating a piece of food (any kind of food, it shouldn't matter in my opinion) grants the user a certain number of temporary hit points that last for an hour?

I would say that this idea would be an even better idea if it could be merged with the "improve taverns" concept that's occasionally tossed about.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    edited September 2012
    @ryu1 Well...Sorry, I like food too, but there are way more important things to carry than cabbage, we would probably have to carry pots, pan, forks, plates etc. just to add realism. I think Its good idea but not for BG.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    The combining foods lost me, I dont like the idea, adding some food items I have no problem with, but I definetly think good berry should be made better! that spell is cute and I like it but I would prefer it be more useful.

Berries heal 5-8hp each and if your at full health 2-3hp added each berry consumed. or it just scales with level, they should also be instantaneous.

I also like the idea about the stealing from stores, I dont know how it works ive never done it.

but the food ideas you have I find too much for the game, it sounds like filler which would mess up the game, now I would much prefer a quality meal with the best ingredients, rather than a below average all you can eat buffet
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    @Aosaw lol. Yeah, you and everyone who replies to my threads (I seem to attract those sort). :P
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    Sorry, but not a fan of these ideas (specifically the food ones). Baldur's Gate didn't include food/hunger mechanics (although it very easily could) for a reason, one that I agree with. I'm not too excited about the prospect of managing the hunger bars of six different people while I'm trying to track down Saverok or Irenicus.
    edited September 2012
    Poor Uncle Scratchy...

But Hey there was a brothel idea once:) Thats also realistic, maybe we can do something about that huh??
    Post edited by Khamill on
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Sorry, not a fan of food restoring health. Baldur's Gate is based on the AD&D 2nd Edition rules set and there's no rule in AD&D for gaining health through food consumption (with the exception of some food items created by spells like Goodberry). If that's how the game worked some of my pen and paper characters would have lasted longer for sure :-). Besides, does the difficulty of the game really warrant adding another way to heal? We can already use potions, clerical spells, and camp.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    As a long time player of the PnP game, let me tell you that keeping track of food, candles, whetstones, and other supplies isn't nearly as fun to include as often seems to be (though I keep fooling myself into thinking that it's a good idea). I'll spare you guys the rant that goes with the reason.

However, keeping track of supplies CAN be included in such a way that actually improves the experience if done correctly. By correctly, I mean that the hunger system serves the gaming experience directly instead of simply being included.
    A great example would be if you made a mod that sent the players out into the desert where the name of the game, the challenge, the plot, the obstacle, is survival. You can set up all sorts of encounters with other cultures and creatures but the first challenge is to secure food and water (and probably deal with others trying to do the same).
    In that case, the hunger system becomes part of the flavor of the adventure rather than simply another resource to manage. Of course, once the characters return to more lush and bountiful areas (the normal game areas), you'd want to ditch the hunger system so that it doesn't become an unnecessary burden.
  • AshendilAshendil Member Posts: 56
    Regarding the food I always roleplayed it so that my party would consume miniature ginat space hamster over the course of the whole game. Don't really need any more food mechanics than that in my game.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Also if you include food and are aiming for realism, you need to take into account the natural conclusion to eating. And I don't remember there being a whole lot of bathrooms in BG...
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2012
    @ryu1: I think you may want to take a look at Skyrim...
  • krikkertkrikkert Member Posts: 26
    I think the idea has promise, but would it be worth the effort in EE? Maybe, maybe not.. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard to fill some of the merchants/shopkeepers' shops with apples, bread etc. as a supplement to healing-potions and for added realism. But another thing, healing/HP-boosts shouldn't be too easily gained.

It is an idea which could perhaps be drawn a little bit further and work best in a game like Fallout 3 where survival and scavenging in a forsaken wasteland is top priority. In such a game I would like the idea of our character(s) being in need of food every now and again while the main story runs its course, simply to make it seem more real, so long as it is not overdone. Suffering from slowly and gradually fading strength without food, or finding new strength when eating something would help to make it seem more real. But it's a fine line - it cud easily be overdone. And besides, we were talking about BG:EE weren't we ? I just trailed off a little...
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I used to love eating food in Thief, all those deer legs and apples, carrots.. at first I was disappointed there was no healing (after eating all that dogfood in Escape from castle Wolfenstein) but I soon got addicted to the sound effect of eating "scrump!" ahh the sweetness of stolen fruits.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    ryu1 said:

3. Again concerning food (as you can tell, I like my food...mmmmmh pizza!), perhaps when we buy some flour and an apple - stacking them together can produce an apple pie which can give double the HP than they would when consumed individually! Or combine cabbage and beef to produce a stew...

1. This ain't no Skyrim, mate.
    2. As stated many times before by others and me: No crafting! (Baking/cooking/whatev :) )
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I personally don't mind crafting. I would love the ability to make my own weapons, for example.

I don't think we need a mechanic for baking pies, though. :)
  • ryu1ryu1 Member Posts: 76
    hehe, thanks for the comments guys. Interesting to hear what people think. I wasn't really aiming to make it more like Skyrim but was just an idea.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    TJ_Hooker said:

Also if you include food and are aiming for realism, you need to take into account the natural conclusion to eating. And I don't remember there being a whole lot of bathrooms in BG...

I can hear it now: "You have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself!"

Party: *struggles to pull up pants and grab weapons*

(btw, loving the "TJ Hooker" username!)

...yes, perhaps I should have changed 'Realism' from the title to 'Variety' or something similar. I don't want BG to be realistic as possible, just to add some new features. I don't really want to play another BG with just only new chars, updated graphics and some bug-fixing.

And I suppose adding food to BG would somehow make it more like Skyrim. If there's no food then they just have one or two things in common...weapons, armour, spells, quests, enemies, enchantments, items, exploration, towns/cities, scavenging... :)
  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    Like the thieving idea, dislike the food ones.

Perhaps an alternative would be to have an extra option in taverns to include a good meal in the service wich would mean you would get back your HPs faster. Not that it makes a difference, but hey, we have the peasant - merchant - noble -royal thing already...
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    I guess that you could have inns offering meals the same way they offer beverages. You click and buy a meal and you get a piece of local rumor. Perhaps eating a healthy meal makes you well fed, which confers a very small bonus. You could make it so that being well fed slightly increases the amount of HP you gain from you next rest, or maybe it delays the onset of fatigue, or maybe something else. Perhaps there could be a chance based on the quality of the establishment that the food you order is bad and you get food poisoning, which lowers your morale, luck, thac0, saving throws or whatever. Nevertheless, introducing food into the game doesn't have to be Skyrim-ish or any other sort of inconvenient food management system.
  • There is no need to buy food. If you look close you see your NPC's picking mushroos and stealing from shops. They eat when you hit "R" (it says rest not just sleep)
  • ddubiousddubious Member Posts: 29
    As rations controlling your stats while adventuring, ease of play is the reason food isn't used. Rations left video games a long time ago because it did not enhance play to include them. Food does still see use in games like Skyrim, but only as an optional bonus for being recently fed, rather than a looming penalty. Games that focus on Survival still have food, but Baldur's Gate is a fantasy quest, not wasteland survival or zombie fiction.

For quests, food is fine. There is an issue with people selling food in every town being a waste of lines of code, but dialogue based interactions for food still exist in games that otherwise ignore food. If the starving man is only a screen away from the food merchant, a simple dialogue option and a quest item would solve it - without the need for food merchants everywhere in the game.

As usable items, I am still entertained by the idea of hearty pot-roasts restoring a vampire hunters health (like in Castlevania). However, food granting any level of healing 5 points or over begins to eclipse magical potions, which doesn't make sense. Also, given the atmosphere of the world, we're used to the idea that only time and magic can heal someone (maybe alchemy too). At present, a sensible dinner cannot fix the grievous sword wounds an orc gave you. I think it should stay that way (barring Jan Janson's invention of magically infused turnips and other snacks).

On Wisdom and Intelligence as the deciding factors of lore, it might be nice to see world exploration (reading of books while playing the game) control lore more, but there are two problems. Firstly, people who know you get more lore for reading books will click on the book and close it right away to get the bonus. If they don't want the lore, they won't read the lore. Secondly, a character's Wisdom and Intelligence are supposed to tell you how smart they are, and might already measure how many books they've read in the past. Though I'm not opposed to any game giving you additional 'lore' bonuses for reading books, it seems that the deciding factor in 2e and BG is Wisdom and Intelligence. Of course, a bard has 'know-it-all' stitched into its class without the need for Wisdom, but even they come with an int requirement.

In conclusion, your ideas aren't too retarded for words, we're just dealing with a well-known game and system being re-released. It doesn't seem the place to make these tweaks unless they're strictly an improvement. These changes are a flavor issue (pardon the pun). Some other game, like the Fallout mods that count food in carbs, fat, and protein, as well as body temperature and radiation sickness, could fit these ideas, but not this game. We know and love the flavor of this game already.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    TJ_Hooker said:

There are no toilets in BG but there are lots of them in BG2. Irenicus even provides them in his dungeon. I started a poll about it a while ago:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/40141/#Comment_40141

I guess if I want food in BG then I better spam the Hell out of the Goodberry spell! Ok, no more food then. I also suppose a lot of people won't like the Lore idea much either, seems a lot of hassle to collect and open books. Bards really are Mr/Mrs Know-it-alls! The Steal idea will probably piss people off since some like to steal plenty and sell, steal, sell...to make quick money. Oh well, each to their own.

I miss the Arrows of Detonation from BG1, expensive as shit but hilarious when you're in a busy area of a town/city, enchanted with haste and boots of speed, let your arrows fly in all directions and watch the entire screen be engulfed in a searing inferno.....sometimes I like to do stupid stuff!

And yes, ddubious, they most definitely are a flavour issue! I suppose I can always try and create a food mod for BG, all I need now is to get the 'Writing Software for Dummies book'...
    ...and a menu
    haha, indeed!
  • KasonKason Member Posts: 30
    Actually one shopkeeper in Bridge District sells Goodberries.