Skip to content

Does Weidu support the new journal system?

ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
All the quests in my mod seems to go the journal, not the quests. So, my question is as seen above. The current lines of code I have are all made like this:
ADD_JOURNAL TITLE (~The Enemy Within~) @100000 @100001 @100014 @100015

Comments

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    ADD_JOURNAL just makes sure your journal entries get shown together under a common header. It's when you invoke your journal entries that you tell the game where to use them, e.g.
    AddJournalEntry(@100000,INFO)
    AddJournalEntry(@100000,USER)
    AddJournalEntry(@100000,QUEST)
    AddJournalEntry(@100000,QUEST_DONE)
    for scripting. In dialogue, you can use the regular scripting actions or the format of .d code itself like so:
    IF ~True()~ THEN BEGIN mod_state SAY @1
    IF ~~ THEN REPLY @2 DO ~/* something */~ JOURNAL @100000 EXIT
    IF ~~ THEN REPLY @3 DO ~/* something */~ SOLVED_JOURNAL @100000 EXIT
    IF ~~ THEN REPLY @4 DO ~/* something */~ UNSOLVED_JOURNAL @100000 EXIT
    END
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2016
    @CamDawg aa yeah sorry forgot to mention. I been using AddJournalEntry function with QUEST and QUEST_DONE. However, the JOURNAL, SOLVED_JOURNAL and UNSOLVED_JOURNAL are unfamiliar to me.
    With using ADD_JOURNAL (which I mentioned above) and AddJournalEntry(something, QUEST), the journal entry goes to journal section not quest section. Not sure what I am doing wrong. It worked before 2.0. Any suggestions?

Edit: I checked the SQL file and it seems Quest and Journal entries are separated now. It has journals_quests and quests. Was it like this before 2.0? The entries added with ADD_JOURNAL seems to go under journals_quests.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I'll have to check, but I don't think there were changes to the journaling system in 2.0.
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    @CamDawg I thought so too. That's what is weird about it, since it worked with my mod before 2.0
  • mirandirmirandir Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 26
    I have the same problem with my mod (Garrick: tales of a troubadour). Since 2.0, all journal entries are added to the journal section instead of the quests section.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    The SQL file was not changed by 2.0 as far as I can tell. Both the quests and journal_quests tables existed before. The quests table maps title strrefs to ID numbers. The journal_quests table maps journal entries to ID numbers.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    BGEE.LUA contains quest entries as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the latest patch uses this file instead for managing journal entries.
    Give. Me. A. Break.

They should add JS support next, and implement this shit a third time.
    From what I can see in util.lua (starting around line 880) the journal management system is rather complex compared to previous versions and will most likely be expanded in future patches by additional features.
    But I'm guessing they aren't dropping sql, so now they have a database, plus reimplementations of data storage in their other scripting environment.

Besides, I would hope the JS implementation is going to include yet more features.
  • jondalarclandlanjondalarclandlan Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have the same problem, the journal entries of my mod just go to the journal section instead of the quest section since patch 2.0.

Any solution or work around?

Thanks!
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    argent77 said:

For anyone interested I have written a WeiDU function that takes care of registering quest entries to the journal in v2.0 patched games in a similar fashion as ADD_JOURNAL.

You can find the function as well as example code in this topic on PPG.

@argent77, thanks for this. I'm using it to fix the journal entries for Finch (the issue reported here by @kaguana).
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @argent77 - Very nice. Does this support the USING keyword like ADD_JOURNAL to specify a .tra file?
    Unfortunately not. I can add support for custom TRA files, but that would probably just amount into one or more "LOAD_TRA ~path/to/file.tra~" statements internally which are then globally used for the whole TP2 script (afaik). I don't want to do that as it might cause unwanted side effects.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    I was afraid of that.

Looks like I'll have to rework the .tra files for BG1NPC. Currently, the journal entries are generally in the .tra file for the corresponding .d file (e.g., x#imint.d and x#imint.tra). So, I'll have to move the journal entries to a separate .tra file and give them numbers that don't conflict with the bg1npc.tra entries.

I *really* hope this is the last time Beamdog screws with how journal entries are stored.