Skip to content

[REQUEST] Clarify how stat changes and tomes will work with BG EE game transfered to BG2 EE.

DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Hi,

I'm not asking for anyone to change anything (yet), I'm asking if anyone can give a definitive technical answer to how using tomes on NPC's and importing games in to BG2 EE will work?

In the original games the NPC's who were available in both games had a set of stats which all received boosts between both games. But if you used tomes in the first game or Dual Classed Imoen to something else, the tomes were transfer but without the stat boosts given in a standard BG2 game, and Imoen would be stuck as a mage either way.

My question is how tomes will be handled. I would prefer to see them stack with the BG2 stat point increases at the very least. Or alternatively for the NPC's to start off with the stats they get in BG2. I'm assuming that this is something that has come up by now since we're a couple months from release. But just in case it hasn't been brought up, it poses a problem in that I can't find a reason why stat bonuses and any tomes you choose to give strategically should both not be enjoyed. Thank you.

Comments

• ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    I agree an answer to this would be much appreciated.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I doubt that the developers are even thinking about this. BG2EE is still a while away.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    I'm trying to think how this would be technically implemented. You could allow NPCs to be exported like your main character except that Imoen must duel class to mage for the BG2 plot to work (so probably not an option).

A better plan might be to set some kind of local or global variable that marks them as being improved though this assumes that variables are exported with characters. Locals might be exported (especially with the BG2 engine) though I bet globals are not.

Anyhow, this shouldn't be much of a concern at the moment. I expect that if they do implement something like this that they'll make BG2EE first and then patch BG1EE to fit. Big or small, continuity between the two games is always worthy of consideration at least.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Well it's a little bit of a big deal. I need to know whether or not I should tome up my NPCs.
    stygga said:

Well it's a little bit of a big deal. I need to know whether or not I should tome up my NPCs.

Ha! Alright, fair enough. I'm willing to bet, though, that there will be enough character / game editors around to choose from by the time they get BG2EE together. There's also a good chance that the old cheats that allow you to make items (like the tomes) will still be around if I had to guess. I'd say just do what you're going to do and then, if they don't carry the points over, add them yourself in BG2EE!

A little sloppier then programed continuity but you'll still be able to add points to NPCs without too much fear any way you cut it.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited September 2012

I'm trying to think how this would be technically implemented. You could allow NPCs to be exported like your main character except that Imoen must duel class to mage for the BG2 plot to work (so probably not an option).

A better plan might be to set some kind of local or global variable that marks them as being improved though this assumes that variables are exported with characters. Locals might be exported (especially with the BG2 engine) though I bet globals are not.

Anyhow, this shouldn't be much of a concern at the moment. I expect that if they do implement something like this that they'll make BG2EE first and then patch BG1EE to fit. Big or small, continuity between the two games is always worthy of consideration at least.

You could put the variable on the exported CharName. That would also create a scenario where you could have a proper New Game Plus, improving everyone's stats and having the game remember that their stats were improved.

When you import your character into BG2 (or again into BG1), the game detects the variable on your PC that marks specific NPCs as having received a tome bonus, and applies the bonus to that NPC when you meet them. Then if you find another tome in subsequent playthroughs, you can further improve that same NPC.

It doesn't have anything to do with their classes, so Imoen will still be dual-classed at the right level, and everyone else will stay more or less the same. It also means that you can boost some of the BG1 NPCs that don't show up in BG2, allowing you to improve their stats with subsequent playthroughs as well.

Talk about increasing replay value!
    edited September 2012
    Aosaw said:

It doesn't have anything to do with their classes, so Imoen will still be dual-classed at the right level, and everyone else will stay more or less the same.

Do I remember things incorrectly? Were players not allowed to manually level up NPCs in BG1? What if you never decide to dual class Imoen and then export her to BG2? When you import her into BG2, wouldn't you expect her to be the same thief you exported? If she's not a mage, that breaks things... Someone please explain to me why exporting Imoen in BG1 and importing her in BG2 and her class class change isn't a technical problem. It really sounds like I'm missing something.

ANYWHO, another option is to do a variation of the variable thing. When you use a tome on an NPC, it triggers a variable flag. That flag is NOT exported (because exporting may or may not work with variables). Instead, the exporter check for the flag. If you have it, it puts the appropriate tome into your inventory. The BG2 importer find the tomes and distributes them thoughout the first dungeon. Not perfect but yet another option.
    BG2, if I remember correctly, creates entirely new NPC stat blocks, which includes Imoen's class level distribution.

I could be wrong about that, but I think that no matter what, Imoen always starts with the same level ratio between Thief and Mage.
    I think I got it @Aosaw. You're suggesting that some things carry over (by export then import), like ability score changes, but we essentially start with the new BG2 character version of the NPC in the second game. Have I got it yet?
    Pretty much, yeah.

Create a variable, "ImoenInt", which increments by one every time you use a Tome of Intelligence on her.

BG2 then reads that variable and increases BG2 Imoen's Intelligence score by 1.

Admittedly, this would be a lot of variables; you'd need six for each NPC in BG1, and there are a LOT of them.
    Aosaw said:

Pretty much, yeah.

Create a variable, "ImoenInt", which increments by one every time you use a Tome of Intelligence on her.

BG2 then reads that variable and increases BG2 Imoen's Intelligence score by 1.

Admittedly, this would be a lot of variables; you'd need six for each NPC in BG1, and there are a LOT of them.

If it were done like this, I wouldn't even bother exporting NPCs at all. I'd just put the variable on the main character and read them off of him. BUT... that's just my two cents.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited September 2012
    Couldn't you just have one for each tome and store which character got it?

Edit: This would be on the PC of course.
    Yes, I guess you *could* do that. But what if you used more than one Wisdom tome?

And part of what I like about this idea is the possibility that you could play through BG1 more than once and apply the tomes more than once, kind of like a New Game Plus.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Imoen MUST dual class to mage in BG II as the ,b>main plot of BG is based on Imoen casting a spell on the wrong time, at the wrong place.

@Aosaw idea if applicable is good of register in main char data, any specific status change on portable NPCs of BG/BG II.

I would also suggest a forced dual class on Imoen at level 7 thief to mage. Some could argue that force dual class would need some banters that would change the original content. but the original content here is exactly her dual class to mage as the entire BG II game is based on Imoen being a mage. So in this point, Beamdog should ask for special permission to add content at the moment Imoen reach lvl 7 (and Beamdog should block any attempt of dual class Imoem before level 7, too).

My last suggestion is to keep coherence, after sarevok fight if the game end in this point, or after the last game scene (if the devs use BGT style and make a banter with one of the dukes to transit the game to Baldur's Gate II) i suggest a movie to be made, that somehow join the main char with the four vanilla start NPCs of BG II, Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid and Jaheira, even if they're not on the party.

This last idea would be cool if more than one movie is made to simulate each possible players choice, as for example:

- if you kill dynaheir for edwin, minsc appears for revenge after sarevok fight (some work in BG2 will be needed).

- If you only refused Jaheira/Khalid help at the start of the game, they would just follow you worried and in memory of gorion.

Among other examples.

Sorry to become a bit off-topic but i thought that something in this matter would be needed.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    kamuizin said:

Imoen MUST dual class to mage in BG II as the ,b>main plot of BG is based on Imoen casting a spell on the wrong time, at the wrong place.

@Aosaw idea if applicable is good of register in main char data, any specific status change on portable NPCs of BG/BG II.

I would also suggest a forced dual class on Imoen at level 7 thief to mage. Some could argue that force dual class would need some banters that would change the original content. but the original content here is exactly her dual class to mage as the entire BG II game is based on Imoen being a mage. So in this point, Beamdog should ask for special permission to add content at the moment Imoen reach lvl 7 (and Beamdog should block any attempt of dual class Imoem before level 7, too).

My last suggestion is to keep coherence, after sarevok fight if the game end in this point, or after the last game scene (if the devs use BGT style and make a banter with one of the dukes to transit the game to Baldur's Gate II) i suggest a movie to be made, that somehow join the main char with the four vanilla start NPCs of BG II, Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid and Jaheira, even if they're not on the party.

This last idea would be cool if more than one movie is made to simulate each possible players choice, as for example:

- if you kill dynaheir for edwin, minsc appears for revenge after sarevok fight (some work in BG2 will be needed).

- If you only refused Jaheira/Khalid help at the start of the game, they would just follow you worried and in memory of gorion.

Among other examples.

Sorry to become a bit off-topic but i thought that something in this matter would be needed.

@kamuizin I agree that Imoen should just auto dual at level 7 to Mage if it's going to be part of the story. (Are there threads that request this?) It doesn't mess with her at all since that's what happens in the next game either way. And by keeping her from being dualable until then it just becomes part of the story, even more reinforced.

As for your movie idea, I think having epilogues for any character you were with in your BG1 after you fight Sarevok, that suggests you parted ways for a time before adventuring again would make sense because then coming back together with the cannon party members in BG2 is spelled out as the next chapter and whom you wound up teaming up with.

Either way it should be spelled out how the tomes are dealt with since most core NPC's receive a stat boost. But if you import from Vanilla BG1 to BG2, your NPC's levels are boosted, but their stats are not. (So you get tome boosts, or the boosts they would get otherwise. Which is silly)
    *BUMP!*
    I really wish someone would just tell us how they intend for them to implemented between both games.
    My guess is they haven't even begun to think about it yet because they're still working on BG1:EE.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Both are separate games with separate but similarly looking set of NPC. But, this question is easy nonetheless.

Imoen - got nothing
    Minsc - got a tome of dexterity and a tome of constitution
    Jaheira - got 3 tomes of dexterity
    Viconia -got 3 tomes of wisdom
    Edwin - got a tome of strength and wisdom.

This leaves charisma and intelligence for the main char.

Looking at these stats they got more than there are tomes in the game, so applying proper transfer would actually be decreasing their power.

Also, i chunked Imoen in BG1. Beamdog, answer how she came back to life.
    @Aosaw, well obviously they have a deadline to meet...but I still think this one should be fairly easy to answer.
    @Roller12 Yeah you can hypothesize that but that doesn't help with the tactical elements of why this information is needed. This thread isn't so much about stat boosts for the NPC's, it's about how the game will record a players use of Tomes on NPC's or his / or her own PC, and how that will work WITH stat boosts that happen either way for the NPC's.
    It's not strictly cut-and-dry because of the logistical issues associated with it. It may, for example, make more logistical sense to just leave the NPCs as separate entities because it takes much less time than figuring out a dynamic solution that doesn't seem arbitrary, in which case saying that they'll do something about it might turn out to be an empty promise.

That said, you'll be much more likely to get a straight answer when they've actually started working on BG2, when they'll have a much better concept of how much time they'll have to spend on things like that.
    @Aosaw Ah man, you're prolly right. *sigh*
    If you want, @Debaser, I can try to make a mod for you later. It won't be sophisticated. When you use a tome, your main character would get an innate ability that does nothing in BG1. In BG2, using that ability would create the appropriate tome (or just apply the tome affect to a target) and the innate ability will disappear. This will allow you to reassign the tome points as you please once your character hits BG2.

Open to better ideas as far as mod implementation goes.
    Just want them to make a proper link between BG and BG II otherwise i will be very disappointed. When the old BG was made, probally they didn't knew if a BG II would exist (although i believe it was very lasy of the old team to let a canon party of Minsc and Jaheira) but now we know that a BG II exist and it's necessary to make a proper link between the sequences of BG end and the begin of BG II.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    I don't think *they* will make any kind of link between the two games. It's up to the modders to do that.
    Some time after BG2EE comes out there will be a BGTEE or sm like that, with a different name.

The only satisfactory solution for me is this:
    - that every single NPC from BG1 is ported to BG2 with their new dialogue written accordingly. Once you wake up at Irenicus' dungeon, there will be a max. of two characters alongside you+imoen in the cages (with according dialogue), and the rest will be scattered at distinct locations, the same way Viconia is to be found in the streets of Athkatla.
    Here's how it would work:

* you can't let Imoen die in BG1 because it's a game over; regardless of whether you had her in your party at the end of BG1 or not, she appears in Irenicus' dungeon (but her dialogue could be adjusted accordingly)
    ** instead of remaining just a thief or a dual-classing automatically at lvl7, she should be a thief/mage multiclass and have very good attributes and some special abilities or sticky item boons to compensate for a terrible early multiclass

* if you don't have Jaheira and Khalid in your party at the end of BG1, neither of them get carried over and you don't get to see them again (obviously, as a result of this, Khalid doesn't die as well)
    ** if you do have both Khalid and Jaheira (and you *absolutely* can't have only one of them), he dies
    *** same with Minsc and Dynaheir, altho it could be made that Dynaheir has actually somehow survived and you encounter her later

* if you don't have Viconia in your party at the end of BG1, you don't see her in BG2 again, and there's no witch-hunt episode (too convenient for so many characters from Baldurs Gate to find their way to Amn alongside you independently of you)
    ** if you did have her, you always find her in the streets of Athkatla and never in Irenicus' dungeon and have to save her from the mob

* regardless of whether you had Quayle with you at the end of BG1, he's always at his circus; if you did have him, he will join you, if you didn't, he won't be a joinable character (so that there wouldn't be an overflow of joinable NPC's)

* the two characters that appear alongside you in the dungeon are selected randomly, or you could select them via dialogue on a special transitional location between the two games - you and the two others you've chosen go scouting while Imoen (if she's in the party) remains with the rest; the scouting team (+ Imoen, again, if she's there) gets captured and the rest scatters
    * most of the characters who have scattered, such as Kivan, Coran etc. you will find at the Copper Coronet, but some might have gone as far as Trademeet.
    ** Alora could be in the thieves guild, Yeslick and Ajantis could be in the temple district etc. Tiax in the graveyard/catacombs. Xan has already been completed it's just that the continuity has to be established between the original Xan and the modded-in character.

And the items - you should be able to retrieve all of the valuable unique items because they carry over. Some should be in the starting dungeon but most will have been sold to the merchants in Waukeen's Promenade and you'd have to buy them back. Some of those however could have been stolen from those merchants and you'd have to track the thief down.
    bob_veng said:

** Alora could be in the thieves guild, Yeslick and Ajantis could be in the temple district etc. Tiax in the graveyard/catacombs. Xan has already been completed it's just that the continuity has to be established between the original Xan and the modded-in character.

Actually, you kill Ajantis in BG2! It happens when you first enter the Windspear hills and the knights disguised as monsters attack you. I believe Anomen identifies Ajantis' body.
    Keldorn also identifiy him. Tiax by the way is inside spellhold with the other crazies.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    the point i'm making is that Ajantis shouldn't be somebody you have to kill in a minor encounter, but a playable NPC instead, the very same one from BG1.
    from the point of view of integrity of BG2 storyline and it's relevance within it, killing of Ajantis is literally nothing, just a nuisance; this should be changed

via modding, that's what i'm talking about (so i understand i veered into the wrong forum section there a bit).

same with Tiax, altho i did totally forget about him.

How come everybody made their way to Amn?
    f*ing ridiculous
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Shar-Teel doesn't.

:'(