Skip to content

THE FORUM BULLY

11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
Hi, I read a nifty little article today about the forum bully!

Everyone loves a good forum. To me, this is one of the finest forums around. The forum is like a little society of people getting together and sharing people's opinions. It's great to know that you can come here and make suggestions and have people either, politely disagree or agree. But then you get some people who are just either trolls or bullies. "Basically a forum bully is the equivalent of a popular troll -- a troll with power within the group." (Will Wright, W. W. (January 23, 2008). Online Forum Etiquette: How to Deal with a Forum Bully. Retrieved from http://voices.yahoo.com/online-forum-etiquette-deal-forum-bully-796861.html?cat=15)

Congratulations if you've gotten this far! I'm glad I've peaked your attention. I'm writing this topic because I enjoy writing, and I think this forum would be a better place if people like this were weeded out.

In essence, a forum bully is hard to weed out. In my short time of this forum I've met actually some of the nicest people so far in a forum. Everyone has been very polite, and most people, very understanding. "The key is in the comments. (In relation to forum bullying) Look at how most forum members reply to comments. Most are polite. They may disagree but they do so with a level of respect for the opinions of others" (Will Wright, W. W.)

A forum bully is actually very subtle. For instance, they start out with compromising comments towards generally newer guests to the forum. In most cases people of the forum want everyone to feel welcome, but for the forum bully it is another instance to make people feel less at ease. But then there is the case for people who, for some reason, do not want people to feel welcome. This would be the cyber bully or forum bully, as both are nearly identical! "Severe or chronic cyberbullying can leave victims at greater risk for anxiety, depression, and other stress-related disorders." (Michelle New Ph.D, N. M. (January 2012). Cyberbullying. Retrieved from http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/talk/cyberbullying.html#)

There are actually many different types of forum bullies. For instance, some are deliberately abusive. For example, may have many friends that conjoin together to make a person feel unwelcome by showing they have power over you. The forum bully really just doesn't care. "Bullies usually attack weak or new targets" (shibashake, no name found, The Forum Bully - Why Are There So Many Online Bullies? Retrieved from http://shibashake.hubpages.com/hub/Online-Forum-Bully)

I think the greatest problem with these people is their obvious, over-abundant ignorance. These people tend to be very uncaring of the opinions of others and tend to think of themselves as better than the rest of the people. Although they are unaffected by praise or criticism, they tend to be unable to take any criticism. For example, I knew a friend of mine who played an online game called Runescape who was a bully. He and I would go around the virtual world talking to people, and would just get into virtual "bullying" fights, and he would find NO way in which he was wrong. Compliments from me just seemed to barely effect him deep down. "Bullies are in-love with themselves. They have little to no empathy, and are only interested in their own activities, and their own power." (Shibashake)

In conclusion, people like this are just pathetic. They find ways to demean people's opinions for example, and they find ways to demean your feelings. A forum bully would NEVER attack another person of prestige status on the forum, and therefore is how you can spot a forum bully (or troll).

My name is, Steven Sherman, I'm a college student and I'm studying to become a journalist.

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    The online disinhibition effect has a lot to answer for.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Internet bullying ought to happen, just as real life bullying really.
    I've seen some of the worst cases of bullying, or trolling, or whichever fits better at given situation, on various sites of the internet, some being very common (Youtube for instance)

As far as I am concerned, there are several ways to counter this bullying :

1) Don't mind them - if you do not, they'll leave you alone because you're a "spoilsport" to their eyes. Of course, this is a very short term victory as the bully will still operate onwards.
    2) Report them - nothing nearly as effective as the Banhammer +10. Deals extra acid and fire damage against trolls as well!
    3) (the least intuitive) Counter bullying - I've seen it at work once, someone I know very well (and someone that is on these very forums) once countered a bully-troll from another site. It was... quite impressively effective. I feel like those bullies are several times the most susceptible to bullying than anyone else is.

Question is though - WHY on Earth would you do that? Frustration? Anger? Trauma from your kid life? Or simple fun? I would understand in the former cases, in the latest - definitely not.
    Trolling, bullying and such has a negative impact on the human being. And if you do it, you should feel bad - not only because you're ruining someone, but also because you'd ruin yourself on the long run. It bites back, there's no running away from it. /karma's a thing
  • DougieDougie Member Posts: 34
    Hi 1130210

A very good post, and I think very timely. As impressive a site as this is, it is not immune.

Bullying includes, of course, abuse of power, and can only thrive when other people give them tha power,l or allow them to retain it.

Bullying includes using the in-group and out-group technique, sadly celebrated by some as a manegement tehcnique called the Contingency Approach. Some people are rewarded for suporting the bully while others are punished for failing to comply.

Extremely relevant for a forum such as this, bullying includes control of information; restricting the flow of information that may challenge or threaten the authority or power of the bully.

Anonymity is also a power ingredient in allowing bullying to flourish, so in settings such as this there has to be clear lines of accountability and transparency.

And clear rules so that everyone can see that everyone is treated fairly, and can easily demonstrate when this is not the case.
  • DougieDougie Member Posts: 34

As far as I am concerned, there are several ways to counter this bullying :

1) Don't mind them - if you do not, they'll leave you alone because you're a "spoilsport" to their eyes. Of course, this is a very short term victory as the bully will still operate onwards.
    2) Report them - nothing nearly as effective as the Banhammer +10. Deals extra acid and fire damage against trolls as well!
    3) (the least intuitive) Counter bullying - I've seen it at work once, someone I know very well (and someone that is on these very forums) once countered a bully-troll from another site. It was... quite impressively effective. I feel like those bullies are several times the most susceptible to bullying than anyone else is.

Hi Cheesebelly

This is a good summary ot the choices available when confronted with bullying.

However, all have pitfalls, depending on the circumstances.

1) This is by far the easiest approach. It saves you hassle and you learn to watch out for the individuals. The trouble is silence gives consent, it gives a message that what they're doing is somehow acceptable and that they can get away with it. It also means that someone else will ex[erience an embolded bully.

3) Counter bullying can often seem to be the only option when the bully's power is unchecked or they have control of the environnment. It also gives bullies room to breath and flourish, and increases the chances of multiple bullies co-operating and gaining more power. This increases the chances that those who have authority over the bully, or bullies, or who have ultimate responsibility for the environment, abdicate their responsibility, or are themselves afraid of or are manipulated by the bully or bullies.

2) This by far is the best approach, but the least comfortable, and the one that will make you the least popular. However, it can only work if there are clear lines of communication with those in authority, or who have authority over the bullies with authority, and if they are willing to stand up and be counted, and willing to reapond to your communication, without taking the easy way out (number (1) above).

If those in authority are not up to the task, then it does make another option more appealing:

4) Leave the environment. If it's an unhealthy environment, it will get to the stage when it's best to just walk away. And if enough people do so, they'll eventually set up another place with better rules.

• KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    We can always do a mass lynch on bullying person, Im sure he'd be gone instantly.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited September 2012
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    The greatest fallacy with attributing the word "bully" to anyone is that it assumes there is some sort of active wont to do harm to other people.

That's usually not the case, and this is coming from someone often perceived as a bully.

When it comes to cyber-bullying, it usually comes from a place of abject terror in the person who's doing it. In the real world, they have a lack of power. If you can set yourself up as important to a place or as an expert or whatever, it gives power. ALL HUMANITY WANTS POWER. Everyone. Especially white people, because it's assumed we're supposed to have power from a cultural standpoint.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171

Especially white people, because it's assumed we're supposed to have power from a cultural standpoint.

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    ^ That was to be expected. -_-

Let's not get into a discussion about racism AGAIN, okay? It's honestly getting boring.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @theJoshFrost: I am most definitely a white male. Just pointing out some cultural stuff a lot of people don't think about.

The meta-narrative of the United States is that white people don't have any culture. That's not true. Part of being ethnically "white" is being successful and having a voice. A white person in a position of poverty is substantially more likely to behave violently than a member of another race, if we strip away other more pressing factors like the environment one was raised in.

It's also why white people who kill are always "psychopaths" and "morally bankrupt" while a black or hispanic man who kills does it because of "racial societal factors" or terrorism. This is merely referring to the perception among people in our culture and the way the media talks about these kinds of situations. A white man can be as much of a terrorist as any other race but he'll get labeled a "gunman" rather than "terrorist." It's kind of weird.

I'm looking at this purely academically. Go figure, I'm studying the semantics of language as a major in college, and part of that is looking at how cultures utilize language in framing discussions.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i never really understood the term "racism" in real life, it really doesnt make any sense, when was the last time you saw elves and dwarves walking around? apparently some people have this thing called "dwarfism" which also doesnt make sense, because i never seem them with a big stocky gut or bitchin beard, and they never live to be 100s of years old, despite the fact they are smaller they are still human, infact as of october 31, 2011 the 7 000 000 000th HUMAN was born, they didnt say X amount of humans, X amount of other races, if people want to talk about nationalities and differences and such, it should be called nationalityism, because that is what it truly is, just because someone has a different skin color than me doesnt make them a different race, im pretty sure they can still be any class they want to be, and are still going to be the only "race" that can dual class :)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @sarevok57 race is not the same as species. Different races exist within a species and describe small physical differences.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    I'm definitely not one of those nice, polite people OP talks about.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited September 2012
    oh you should have warned us about the image of this useless silly pile of orange meat and a nailed on scrubber on his pear:D
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Moomintroll i guess in real life its VERY small differences, everyone looks the same to me
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well i read the article and i have to say, the guy that wrote that probally suffer from some kind of childhood repression. And probally in reason to some forums, too.

Well my opinion so far:

The guy try to define internet as a new 90 years high school, the only difference is that he call the jokers of trolls. You can't compare a school to a forum, there are huge differences between them, some people already stated this but lemme point a huge differences:

- In an forum, physical strenght isn't taken in account, it's inteligence and wisdom that define our argument power inside a forum (planescape? ^^).
    - In forum's the inteligence power doesn't prevent others from express themselfs, it's the lack of arguments or reasoning that make it.
    - Being a online acquaintanceship a forum don't force itself on the individual personal life.
    - in a clash of minds, it's usually difficult to define who's the aggressor and who's the victim.

From my point of view, label general classifications in personal relations based in ethical or moral reasons is always problematic, even more when those relations comes from internet and everything you have to evaluate a person is his/her words posted inside the forum. Lack of self-criticism is most of the times a personal difficult that someone has to review and reevaluate his/her acts, not a lack of character.

I can securely say that at least 50% of the people here at least once trolled someone, including myself (who here remember of our friend GueulEclator and his controversy statements?), troll isn't a class that someone choose, it's an action, normally (with few exceptions) no one is a troll, people just troll in certain moments.

In essence, i disagree with the author of the article on the way he try to label behaviors in general, by another side i agree that exist some people in forums that only rejoice in make conflicts for the pleasure of discord.

I have to say that his article is like read a 90° age high school teenager survival history, funny in most parts but lack commitment in give solutions to discord in forums and focus more on his personal (and non-neutral) view of the matter. An serious evaluation of this behavior and a proffesional study in this matter can maybe give good results, but the article quoted only put more wood on the fire.
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    That is actually a flaw that exists within the fantasy settings, the "races" are actually "species". Although they can all interbreed so technically they should also be the same species, but then you get magic and different realms of existence thrown into the mix, and frankly, its not worth thinking to hard about it because it really cant make sense if you analyze it too much.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited November 2012
    @1130210

Internet undesirables? Nice subject.
    Ok! Let's talk about trolls. :D

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/5097/do-not-add-any-new-npcs-for-baldurs-gate-ii/p1

A kid who holds an unpopular opinion might be a troll. MAYBE.

A kid who holds an unpopular opinion JUST TO START FIGHTS on the internet is very likely to be a troll.
    You can tell the difference after three or four of his posts... two if he's a very bad one.

A kid who suggests something that makes him happy, and not everybody else, when (PAY ATTENTION) a solution that could make everybody happy is possible, is certainly a troll.

A kid that, when somebody points out (at the second answer of that same thread) the possibility of said "everyone's happy" solution... consciously DECIDES TO OVERLOOK IT, like if the interlocutor never spoke, and like if the point was never made... is definitely a troll.

A kid who, actually, DECLARES THE DISAGREEING PERSON TO AGREE WITH HIM, to confuse distracted readers and make it look like he has support from somebody, is a clumsy and shameless troll.

A kid who continues holding the unpopular opinion when basically THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY (well, everybody who cared to answer, at least) disagrees, is pretty much surely doing it just to argue, and thus he's a troll.

A kid that, when somebody points out the errors of his ways (and that's when I come in), and is called upon his incorrect behaviour... AGAIN decides to avoid staying on the very subject he's called upon, and just goes for a string of incoherent, generic, finger-pointing accusations... well, that kid is an obvious troll.

A kid that, when faced with FACTS and DIRECT OBSERVATIONS of something that is under everybody's eyes, continues playing the victim, while REFUSING to actually respond to them, in a cheap attempt to shift the attention from points that he would be unable to counter, is a desperate troll.

A kid who goes on to fight with another user immediately afterwards, to the point that both posts need to be edited out... is a WILD troll on a rampage.

A kid who, after everything he did, keeps shooting PETTY provocations ("dont' cry yourself to sleep at night" and similar amenities) to anyone who still has the patience to answer him... is an impenitent troll.

A kid who, in the end, after he realizes that EVERYONE IS ONTO HIM tries to go back on his words and, with his last post, tries to convince everybody else that "he meant something else entirely" (yeah, right! XD )... well, that's a classic, HANDBOOK troll.

A kid who, STILL NOT HAPPY, goes on to PERSONALLY PERSECUTE one (or maybe more??) of the people that called him on his behaviour OUTSIDE of said thread, is an obsessive, dangerous troll (almost a stalker)... and a bully. What do you know? I'm actually not off topic! Yay! :D

A kid who decides to hit another (equally new, and equally entitled to his own opinions) forum user by creating an APPARENTLY neutral thread, but actually linking that person to said thread ("Here I wrote this about you! Congratulations, you're famous!" ---> THE FORUM BULLY), in a venomous attempt at shiftly, subtly striking sideways from the shadows... is a troll of the worst species. AND A COWARD!

A kid who DECLARES to be "making a study" (and claims it's for homeworks, and similia), but ends up doing a quick Google search on a subject, sharing a couple of links, and completing this little thing of beauty by giving his own personal opinion, which is NOTHING BUT INSULTS ("people like this are just pathetic")... is a badly organized (and not believable) troll.

In conclusion...

YOU, STEVEN SHERMAN (if that's even your real name), ARE A TROLL!

......or maybe not... maybe you REALLY ARE studying to be a journalist, and at the moment you're testing the reaction times, the patience, the behaviour and/or the possible internet rage of people who have to face a continuous and personal-space-invading troll assault.
    It's a coin flip.

In both cases, LEAVE ME ALONE.

PS: And OF COURSE, you've been reported. Have a good day, troll! d_(^_^)_b
    @Raistlin82: Nice explanation, but you forgot to include that most trolls can just as well be adults with too much free time on their hands.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @1130210 I'm with you up to the ending of the 'article'. I suppose editorials should close with opinion, but articles should be factual (only). The reader should be able to draw conclusions (unless your goal is to be an activist journalist, which isn't really so much a journalist as a motivator for a cause).

Anyway, people do things and say things to people on line that they never would in actuality. Part of this is because, for some situations, the computer isn't a person, so the antagonist doesn't feel like they're attacking a person.

In general, the worst trolling occurs whenever discussions approach political correctness discussions, most of which just don't belong in a forum about a game. I try to difuse that with humor, if I can. Aside from that, I'm not intimidated by such people, so I don't go into depression or anything else over it.

The more people I meet (present company excluded), the more I love my dog...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I cant hear that troll word in this association anymore. BEcause it is also widely used to just dismiss someone else´s oppinion who gave a f*** about political correctness! And to me most "trolls" are just plain idiots, mental not realy stable ones or pretty uneducated about the thing they try talking about.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    This is honestly the first forum I've actively participated in, because of the glut of trolls, cyber-bullies, and assive-aggressive people ready to tear me apart from prior message boards. I do not have an effective way to counter them, except for blocking. There's enough going on here to make me uncomfortable enough to say much about myself, but not so bad I want to leave. I've seen some great stuff so far, and I'm glad you posted tgis, op n_n
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @MedullaOblongata There are always some everywhere. Don't let that silence you - otherwise, the rat-bastardly cowards win. And if I ever troll you, call me on it. Usually, I'll apologize :D
    edited November 2012
    I dont know but for a sensitive person it´s not the best idea to give out "targets" to people who drop down anything negative their minds can barely understand what it means to you. I´m hangin out on youtube alot and the massive amount of insults or pure hatred cant get any worse anymore. This forum is realy good and calm to me. The grey havens of game forums lol;)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    And the few times I saw someone trolling here there was soon a fire-wielding squad to protect the trolled one while the mods couldn't be reached for banning the troll...
    @mlnevese: Are you implying there's too little moderation? Well, I'd say that we're probably all old and mature enough to not randomly start insulting and attacking each other like what often happens on the ordinary gaming forum out there. Thus far I have seen a lot of such maturity on these forums and it really pleases me to know that this community is wise enough to not get into a downward spiral of hate and bitterness (although some topics like the Gay Romance topic make me doubt at times, I admit...)