Skip to content

If there was to be a Baldur's Gate Saga adaptation, which form would you prefer?

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
Choices:
Traditional Popcorn Film Series like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars etc.
Network or Basic Cable TV like Once Upon a Time, Walking Dead, Arrow etc. (More Episodes, slightly lower production quality)
Premium Cable or Streaming TV like Game of Thrones, Daredevil, Pillars of the Earth, etc. (Fewer Episodes, higher production quality) on HBO, Showtime, Starz, Netflix, Amazon, etc.
Anime Series like Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Berserk, Attack on Titan, etc.
Western 3D CGI Style Animated Series like Star Wars: The Clone Wars or Transformers stuff
Comics/Graphic Novels told in a long-form, serialized style
Series of Novels to replace that abhorrent insult insult to fans everywhere by Philip Athans whose existence I refuse to acknowledge (I feel bad for the writer, but I thought those were terrible)
Other if I'm possibly forgetting a viable option... I was thinking something like a musical in the style of Wicked or Hamilton or perhaps a heavy metal concept album the types of which are produced by Blind Guardian, Evergrey or Iced Earth. These are a little too niche to include, so lets have a general category for some unconventional choices.

I think each provide their own interesting possibilities. My prediction is that the premium cable series will be most popular, but some people like network television and love reading, so you never know.
  1. If there was to be a Baldur's Gate Saga adaptation, which form would you prefer?24 votes
    1. Film Series
        4.17%
    2. Live Action Network/Basic Cable TV Series
        4.17%
    3. Live Action Cable/Streaming TV Series
      50.00%
    4. Anime
        8.33%
    5. 3D CGI Series
        0.00%
    6. Comics/Graphic Novels
      12.50%
    7. Novels
        8.33%
    8. Other (musicals, concept albums, etc.)
      12.50%

Comments

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Novels, close second Anime. Just no movies/series please.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I chose the safest option, because I think this is the trend that good storytelling is heading in. It is also the safest bet, and can be amazing if done well. If it was good, it would have the possibility of reaching the largest audience.

I'd have a lot of interest in a comic book adaptation myself, and it could be great with the right writer/artist team. I also think an anime would be really cool, and would provide for some great visuals, but it would be highly dependent on the art style. I'm not the biggest fan of anime in general, but really enjoyed Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and could see something like that working really well.

Also would LOVE a concept album, which should be done regardless! It is also the only option that I think is realistic. I can just imagine David Warner's voice "Ah... the child of Bhaal has awoken. It is time for more... experiments" followed by a screaming guitar intro
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    We tried novels, didn't work.

If anything, then a subscription-budget TV show. Not that I think it would be a particularly amazing story to bring to the screen, but out of all the options it's the one I could see work the best.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    A video game!

They can call it Baldur's Gate the Game, the Game.

It would be epic!
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited April 2016
    Concept album.

An Alan Parsons collaboration with Tim Rice.

It would be epic!

Edit: I checked Wikipedia, and they're both still alive!
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    A TV series makes the most sense to me, since that would allow full justice to be done to the story and to all the interesting little side stories that really make the BG experience what it is. I got so excited by the idea that I actually started writing a script for it a little while ago.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Novels would work if you wrote it as a long-running series instead of a trilogy.

TV series on regular cable is a very close second.

(And an anime adaption is a guilty fantasy of mine. :sweat_smile: )
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    part of the hiring process should be a rigorous pen and paper Forgotten Realms campaign, make sure the casting director is a good DM
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    I think a Baldur's Gate musical would be hilarious.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

I think a Baldur's Gate musical would be hilarious.

The Rock as Minsc in a musical singing about Boo would get my butt in the seats real fast.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I believe that videogames are better portrayed by animes because it's a media that has more freedom the other ones. A tv series would treat it the saha as either something silly or too expensive to be well done.