Skip to content

In your opinion, how is the REST of SoD (outside of the controversial character and the Minsc line)?

I haven't played it yet because I've been holding off on SoD until the EET mod is ready. But the vast majority of reviews and critiques that I've seen about the expansion are all centered around the apparently poor implementation of the controversial trans character. But I haven't seen a lot of opinions about how the rest of the expansion is. Specifically if it fits well between BGI&II from a narrative standpoint, the writing, environments, etc.

I've also seen a lot of criticisms over some of the 2.0 features, so I consider the 2.0 stuff to just be a "work-in-progress."

But anyway, what are your thoughts?

PLEASE EITHER LIGHT OR NO SPOILERS! :smile:

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited April 2016
    Ser_Elryk said:

the writing

This has usually been the point criticized the most. Not just the two issues you mentioned, but a lot more.

The rest seems to be okay, 2.0 issues aside.

For me personally, I never cared too much about BG1 in the first place, but thought I'd pick up SoD anyway just to play it a few times and see the new stuff. Then they went and broke my BG2, so now I won't give them money anymore. Has nothing to do with the actual quality of SoD itself, which from what I have heard from people I trust has its issues but is overall worth the money for fans of the series.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    I would like to take it more softly, but the controversial is stupid. Very stupid. Anyway i skip this unuseful part and i go to the game, that i still didn't finish but (i think) is completed at more than 50%.
    - The graphic is great, for a game old like bg, i don't have a top computer but works just fine.
    - The 2.0 is, in my opinion, a real improvement except for the experience bar that doesn't have sense. I'm probably the only one that kept every graphic change in the world, anyway. Till now, 0 bugs for me in SoD.
    - The new NPCs are well made, but except one only good-aligned. I don't care because i only play good but i understand it's not fair. The old NPCs (the ones that appear in SoD) now talks, have opinions and they are much better than BG where they have not much personality.
    - In opposite, and i will put on
    i would like that the NPCs that left in the prologue had something more to say than just a generic line of text

- The game is much more linear than BG, it depends on what do you like but for me is a slight flaw. The quests (till now) are well made, the encounters from map to map now are great.

So, as you can suppose, i suggest you to buy this game, just remind that i still didn't finish it.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Simple answer:It is very good! Well worth playing. And a definite must-have for bg fans, no arguement, no excuses.