Skip to content

REQUEST: Neutral Paladin

NachtwacheNachtwache Member Posts: 36
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Just read the description of Lawful Neutral in BGII:

"Order and organization are of paramount importance. They believe in a strong, well-ordered government, whether that government is a tyranny or benevolent democracy. The benefits of organization and regimentation outweigh any moral questions raised by their actions. An inquisitor determined to ferret out traitors at any cost or a soldier who never questions his orders are examples of Lawful Neutral behavior."

Why can't we create the described lawful neutral inquisitor following his quest beyond good and evil. I really like the idea of a knight only bound to tradition and laws? He is loyal but without mercy for these who stand in his way.

My REQUEST: Make it so, Number one! (please ... )

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited September 2012
    Sounds kind of like the Gray Guard prestige class in 3.5 edition. I think they had the "knight in shining armor" archetype in mind when they made the Paladin class back in 1st edition, which explains the LG only alignment. Technically a LN Paladin is a Fallen Paladin, but not a Blackguard.

*edited for "Maximum warp!"
  • NachtwacheNachtwache Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2012
    but that's kind of sensless, because a neutral paladin hasn't violated the principles of his (neutral) order, therefore he is not fallen.

*edited: will the EE of BG contain a possibility for ingame fallen paladins to become a blackguard?
    *edited for liking "Maximum warp!"
  • ego1steego1ste Member Posts: 88
    Illydth said:

"Well, that ultimate bad guy just got killed so now I must hunt down and kill the most renowned paladin in the land to maintain the balance!"

Seems legit :)

• RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Alright; my brain is going to try to regurgitate some history. I don't have references in there so feel free to double check.

I believe the title "paladin" is either French or was used by the French. Medieval France had a number of different titles for knights of various duties and social classes. A "bachelor" was a knight with permission to marry. A "paladin" was the designation for a knight who served closely or next to the king, making them pretty high class.

During the Renaissance, chivalry became popular and some guy named Malory(?) merged all the stories of King Arthur into a single work. When he did this, he rewrote it with all of those "modern" concepts chivalry into it making the Knight of the Round into the classic "holy knight" or "white knight" ideal.

Now, D&D was designed to include all of the classic medieval fantasy stereotypes. The paladin class in D&D is the placeholder for the classic ideal warrior of God, full of grace, honor, loyalty, and all that. They must be lawful good because, without that, you don't fit the stereotype.

If you want different kind of knight, just pull an Anomen. Go LN and duel / muti class to get the mix between warrior and holy that you want.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I don't think that what he ask is wrong, the point is, the character will not be an paladin.

The neutral warrior would be zealot for law, pursuing any agent of chaos, but he would not be a "holy" warrior, instead of be an holy icon that pursuit and destroy evil where he find it, this lawful neutral warior would be a valiant warrior that pursuit and destroy chaos where he find it, whit the proper powers, advantages and disvantages of the class. I truly don't know if exist any class like this in D&D but it's a reasonable concept, maybe not for Baldur's Gate because of the reputation system, but a valid class anyway.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Because AD&D is stupid and racist, paladins can only be Lawful Good HUMANS!! Them's the rules, and there isn't much to be done about it at this point. I think that's one of the reasons why they made Aribeth the 'face' for NWN, to show off that the racial restrictions were pretty much gone. (Damn you dwarven defender)

If you think that's bad, I remember flipping through the AD&D 'essential paladin' book or some such. If a paladin so much as hesitates before entering a situation they know to be certain death they have committed a selfish act and immediately lose all of their special abilities until they atone. As the book said 'there are few paladins who survive to old age'. Makes you appreciate Keldorn a little more, doesn't it?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think a better catch-all term for the class would be "Champion". That would allow it to be alignment-nonspecific.
    edited September 2012
    We have someone for chaos too, Haer'Dalis is a Doomguard if you look his biography (although he never acted as one in roleplay terms, many points in the game that he should act as an entropy representative and he just keep silent), what just means that lawful alignment is the only one prejudiced in BG.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Tanthalas said:

I never understood why the good deities (well, neutral too) can have holy champions but neutral and evil deities don't.

I don't care if its not called a Paladin, there should be similar classes for Neutral and Evil deities.

Blackguard is there already, only needs a Neutral one now.

At this point, let me inform you guys, we have embarked on a very old debate in D&D. Are good and evil:
    1.) mirrored opposites of each other
    OR
    2.) are they diverging and unique philosophies?

I'll spare the meat of the details for the words of others. But, for the sake of example, if you believe that they are mirrored opposites, then ANYTHING that good has, evil has an equal opposite and vice-a-versa. Thus, if good has holy servants (like angels), evil has equally potent unholy servants (like daemons).

On the other hand, if they are unique and diverging philosophies, they express their philosophy in a way that is unique to that mindset. Evil may use poison to accomplish goals but a LG character may refuse because it causes undue suffering (the good part of LG) and it prevents a foe a sporting chance to defend himself (the lawful side). Good does not have anything like poison, they have their own unique set of goals and tactics.

Like I said, skipping many details of this debate. But to bring it all home:

The history of D&D shows a trend. In the beginning, D&D philosophy leaned very strongly toward idea 2 (see above). The good guys and the bad guys did things very differently, sometimes even following different rule sets depending. Contemporary D&D, however, is much more aligned with philosophy 1. Good and evil are basically the same except one is called good and counters evil and the other is evil and counters good.

During the time of 2nd Ed AD&D, the idea of a anti-paladin was generally discouraged even as far as printing warnings against it in books. The Blackguard anti-paladin class idea did not come about until WotC took D&D from TSR.

THE FINAL POINT: The inclusion of a anti-paladin (Blackguard) is an anachronistic anomaly in BG. Thus, it is debatable if it can be used as evidence that a neutral paladin should be implemented as Blackguard, itself, is a little out of place in the game.
    in my opinion its really more a neutral law enforcing knight than something like a neutral variant of a blackguard ... but i don't want to cause some kind of principle crisis. i think i will be satisfied with a lawful neutral warrior and everything concering roleplaying i will put in the specific character background. :)
  • ArktosaArktosa Member Posts: 73
    Their actually mod for that in BG2 but still I agree because in dnd you can actually make a Lawful Neutral or a Lawful Evil paladin type. But what I prefer the most about that is the "Anti-Paladin" class.
    Arktosa said:

Their actually mod for that in BG2 but still I agree because in dnd you can actually make a Lawful Neutral or a Lawful Evil paladin type. But what I prefer the most about that is the "Anti-Paladin" class.

i guess you don't know the name of the mod anymore?

Don't use TDD mod dude it's my advice, this mod is largely broken, the Anti-Paladin most than anyone as it's an evil class that answer to the fallen concept as the paladin, it's problematic.
    if so then it's really not what i'm searching for
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Paladins:
    Lawful good - Order and law must be mantained together with morals - that way benefits society at a whole. Law must be repsected, unless law is unfair (you cannot sentence innocent person etc.). So If Paladin saw drow priestess about to be burned alive without valid reason or proof for her crime, he would come to her aid.

Lawful neutral - I don't care about morals, only about laws: those must be obeyed no matter if it is tyrany, or not. See that drow priestess tied and about to be burned? She was sentenced to death, so she has to die. No matter if it is morally correct or not (no matter if judgement is unfair, law is law)

Now a question: did neutral character really fits Paladins? Because I don't think so. Lawful neutral fits for person, who doesn't care much about good and evil, but is obeying the law and doesn't question it. Hell, as for example of lawful neutral character BG2 states "soldier, who never questions orders" (or was it something like that). Paladins should obey the law, but only when it's fair and - it may sound wierd - LAWFUL. Paladin would not stand injustice - even if It means to save evil aligment person - in that particular case I used Viconia as example.

So no, I don't conisder lawful neutral Paladins as a good idea. Hell, I think that according to Dungeons and Dragons rules, they HAVE to be lawful good. Just accept it.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    a neutral whatever is not a paladin! A paladin is always lawfull good, except a fallen one. Paladin is the term for it.
    edited September 2012
    In fact @ZelgadisGW, viconia wasn't being killed after a trial, it was just a mob that took her and bind her on the stake, the priests that were going to kill her paid tribute to Beshaba, an chaotic evil deity with the following portfolios:

Random mischief, misfortune, bad luck, accidents.

Based on Besheba's portfolios i doubt that a paladin and mostly than all a lawful neutral warrior enforcer would cover, accept or help any Besheba's follower.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    kamuizin, thanks for correction. Still doesn't change the fact that Paladins should be lawful good only.
    edited September 2012
    From the Online Etymology Dictionary:
    paladin (n.)
    1590s, "one of the 12 knights in attendance on Charlemagne," from M.Fr. paladin "a warrior" (16c.), from It. paladino, from L. palatinus "palace official;" noun use of palatinus "of the palace" (see palace). The Old French form of the word was palaisin (which gave Middle English palasin, c.1400); the Italian form prevailed because, though the matter was French, most of the poets who wrote the romances were Italians.
    Technically, a paladin is just a favored knight. A Thayvian paladin would have a very different set of ideals, for example, from an Amnian paladin or a Baldurian paladin.

But in Faerun, the term paladin means "champion of the right and the good", which isn't the same thing.

This does make me want to create a world where "paladin" just refers to any elite member of an order of knights, but for D&D and for Baldur's Gate, unfortunately you have to find a different term if you want a non-good alternative.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    There was a Dragon Magazine article that came up with a Paladin-like warrior for each alignment, but it was never official. If you want a non-Lawful Good Paladin, just call them "Crusaders". They won't get any extra powers, but they'll have a sparkly new nickname. (Incidentally, The opposite of the Paladin was originally the "Anti-Paladin", and it wasn't an official class, either.)
    I get it @Aosaw, but Faerûn doesn't necessary need to follow real life concepts (a lot of this discussion happened in the "gay romance" thread for example), in D&D terms, a paladin is a champion of light. I could research in internet for a trustworth source but to avoid the problem that happened in the "warlock class" thread i prefer not.
    Right. ...That's what I said, in this paragraph:
    Aosaw said:

This does make me want to create a world where "paladin" just refers to any elite member of an order of knights, but for D&D and for Baldur's Gate, unfortunately you have to find a different term if you want a non-good alternative.

• Aegir_FellwoodAegir_Fellwood Member Posts: 81
    Well Planescape Torment has a lawful neutral character similar to what is discussed here; Vhailor is a "Mercykiller", someone who's only interested in justice nomatter what the cost. He's a very unique and interesting character/class indeed, and I see no reason why a subclass somewhat similar to him cannot be included in Baldur's Gate, the only question really is; what "powers" would such a class have? Imo it doesn't really matter if it's a paladin or warrior subclass, the only thing that matters is if it's possible to make it "believeable" enough within Baldur's world.

P.S. I am aware that Torment and Baldur's are two very different D&D games, but still... ;)
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Illydth said:

How would you describe a "Neutral" Zealot?

Ever seen the Futurama episode with the Neutral Planet? :P
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    There should be something like Neutral Paladins.
    Paladin is a knight in service of his god. The god grants the paladin some priest-like spells, so he can serve his order more efficiently.
    But gods have different characters. From Chaotic Evil, through Neutral to Lawful Good. I don't see why there can't be a paladin order (knight with some priest-like powers, granted by their god) of Corellon Larethian... Or other dieties.
    They can be called differently (like Blackguards), but still, there should be a class of knight with abilities similar to paladins.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited November 2012
    There are Paladins of Helm, but for some reason Paladins of Helm still have to be Lawful Good even though Helm is Lawful Neutral, which doesn't make sense. So I don't see why there can't be LN Paladins.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Awong124 said:

There are Paladins of Helm, but for some reason Paladins of Helm still have to be Lawful Good even though Helm is Lawful Neutral, which doesn't make sense. So I don't see why there can't be LN Paladins.

What about Paladins of Mystra?
    Followers of a god could be 1-2 steps away from the god's alignment without problem.