Skip to content

Rolled a wild mage for Tutu...got a 92....

DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I'm thinking

12 Str
18 Dex
16 Con
18 Int
10 Wis
18 Cha

I'm Human btw.

This is by far the best roll I've ever gotten, I was bored and fired up TuTu...I might have to play this guy now.

But I could go with 18 Str for carry weight and skip the Cha....what do you think?

Comments

• jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    skip Cha for wis and str, for wish spell if not carryweight.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited September 2012
    If you'll play solo and wish to powerplay, go for carryweight. If you want to ROLEPLAY though, charisma can be effective... you can brag to be beautiful.

Wisdom can be useful for Wish spell, but there are tons of potions of insight anyway, so it's not TERRIBLY needed.

Edit - ninja'd XD
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Nice roll!

If you're taking Imoen with you she can deal with the merchants and then you could max Str to carry stuff, as you said. Plus it might be fun to buff the character and have him or her melee with a quarterstaff once in while just for shits and giggles. While you're at it maybe use Ghoul Touch and Vampiric Touch, etc. I've always found it surprising how well mages fare on the frontline with a staff; although they're then vulnerable to missile attacks until they have the PfM spell.
  • Sir_CarnifexSir_Carnifex Member Posts: 47
    Awhile ago I decided to make a character and keep the very first roll that I got. I rolled a 97 or 98. Forgot which. Best roll I ever got. And there I was thinking that I'd have fun with a weak build!
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    You're a wild mage, don't go for boring strength.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    There are some instances where high CHA gives you different dialogues & better rewards (and starting from 18 means a possible 21 very early in the game). The downside is that your perfectly beautiful face placates the NPCs. In other words, they won't argue or insult each other as much. This can be better or worse depending on your playstyle. Personally, I always get a kick out of clashing alignments & more banters.

Carrying weight is never really an issue for the PC. It's not like the game lacks for high-STR NPCs. I think 14 gives you 120lbs and that's more than enough for a mage.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited September 2012
    I would reduce your wisdom to 7 and put the rest to strength. That way by the end of BG1 you have a good amount of strength for carrying things (I'm assuming you are using all the tomes on yourself) and with the books of wisdom you have 10 wisdom (no lore penalty). There is no point in having 13 wisdom and going from 12 to 13 strength makes no difference in carrying capacity.

That or reduce your charisma to 13 and increase your wisdom to 15 (if you want to have 18 wisdom for Wish). 14 charisma (which you will eventually get) will at least mean you will get a +2 reaction bonus.

I'm sure you've already made your character by this point, but in the future maybe this will help guide you.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Things I'd change:

Knock Charisma down to 14. Friends is a level 1 spell, boosts your Charisma to 20 for it's duration, which is the highest it ever needs to be.

Other than that, it's pretty spot on. I would have rolled Elf too, but it's a little late for that now.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Put Debug=1 under programme options in you Baldur.ini file (open using notebook), then press ctrl+alt+8.

And stop wasting time! :p

Saying that I also like reducing stats to the lowest possible... Fun is where you find it... Rolling is okay too. I totally respect you :)

But really... Elf is better...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

Things I'd change:

Knock Charisma down to 14. Friends is a level 1 spell, boosts your Charisma to 20 for it's duration, which is the highest it ever needs to be.

Other than that, it's pretty spot on. I would have rolled Elf too, but it's a little late for that now.

I don't know, @sandmanCCL...if you start with 18 Charisma, you can pick up Algernon's Cloak and have that 20 Charisma right as soon as you hit Beregost.

I try to boost my Charisma whenever I can, because I like the extra story content it potentially unlocks.
    @Aosaw: I like how he handled that roll and agree with it. Just saying how I'd have altered it :)
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    @SandmanCCL where would you have put the extra points then? @Anduin why would elf be a better choice? Longsword bonus and higher DEX?
    @Debaser: Strength. I always have my guy at the front of the party regardless of class or Charisma, so it's helpful to have better carry capacity. Not particularly needed, simply helpful.

I can see arguments to keep stuff where you've got it because if you really need strength to carry something really heavy, there's spells for that, or Minsc. When you have a roll that high, it comes down to personal preference.

And yes, that's why elf would be better. Humans gain 0 bonuses for being human. Elves gain minor resistance against enchantments (charm spells and the like) as well as have higher dexterity which helps with ranged thac0. Mage thac0 is pretty poor and they are probably going to use slings or darts when not casting spells so any little bit helps. The longsword bonus won't come into play on a mage unless you multi-class. The only downside is a hit to constitution which doesn't matter because you can still get 16 CON anyway, you know?
    @Debaser Humans are the 'standard' race. Elves get infravision, immunity to sleep spells, higher dex and the bonus to bow and swords for free.

Its the free part I like :)

My first run through was with a human necromancer named Magnus Magnusson, and his stats were pretty awful. I had to run away a lot, and reload a lot. But I made it to the end of ToB with him. I really enjoyed the second run through cause I did more of the sidequests... But the magic of the first time is still their with me... Just let the random generator roll and play with it... I reckon I may do this... maybe not... I had to reload quite a bit to finish! :)
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    @Anduin I know Elves get some bonuses, but I just don't know if they're that much better for this class...I can't really use swords or bows, having a 19 DEX isn't going to give me a greater AC bonus. (And using the DEX tome on a caster to bump me to 20 DEX sounds like a bit of a waste), The charm / enchantment resistance is really the only thing I can think of that qualifies as a true bonus.

To be honest I rolled him a human because I forgot if Wild Mages could Dual Class (apparently, they can't), but still...that roll was my third roll! I was just struck by it because I figured he wouldn't have use many, if any of the tomes. Though I haven't played this game yet. Work has been crazy. I could SK him so he has high strength instead today, etc.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    There is no need for Wis as a bg1 mage, dump it and increase constitution to 18(eighteen). No, thats not for the HP bonus.
    Debaser said:

@Anduin I know Elves get some bonuses, but I just don't know if they're that much better for this class...I can't really use swords or bows, having a 19 DEX isn't going to give me a greater AC bonus. (And using the DEX tome on a caster to bump me to 20 DEX sounds like a bit of a waste), The charm / enchantment resistance is really the only thing I can think of that qualifies as a true bonus.

To be honest I rolled him a human because I forgot if Wild Mages could Dual Class (apparently, they can't), but still...that roll was my third roll! I was just struck by it because I figured he wouldn't have use many, if any of the tomes. Though I haven't played this game yet. Work has been crazy. I could SK him so he has high strength instead today, etc.

1: You actually gain gain another bonus AC from Dexterity when taking BG2 into consideration. Tome of Dex your guy (ain't like anyone else can utilize it through the entire saga) and again give the Dex bonus to your guy from the Machine of Lum the Mad. 21 Dex = -5 AC, and even more ridiculous ranged thac0.

My rule is if I'm not dual-classing, I'm not human period. Shame gnomes can't be wild mages. I'd LOVE to be a gnome Wild Mage.
    It is impossible to get dex 21 for a good aligned bg2 mage. A point of dex is removed in hell trials. Not that it is a bright idea to give dex to a mage when there are so many other characters who urgently need it in bg1.
    Name the benefit for going over 16 constitution then, Roller12.
    A mage with 18 con gets to use a ring, to rule them all. The Claw of Kazgaroth.

The Armor Class: +1 bonus
    Missile Armor Class bonus: +4 bonus
    Save vs Death: -4 penalty
    Save vs Wands: +3 bonus
    Save vs Polymorph: +3 bonus
    Save vs Breath: +3 bonus
    Save vs Spells: +3 bonus
    Constitution modifier: -2 penalty

Things to look at are straight additional -5 AC vs missiles and +3 vs spells. Which is the majority of things the mage will be thrown at, namely spells and arrows. -5 AC vs arrows is pretty hax, no more spell disruption from an archer. The penalty is reduced constitution, which getting 18con completely avoids. Granted, this ring is also pretty good on a lot of people, but not many can handle reduced HP, frontliners especially.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Roller12 said:

Things to look at are straight additional -5 AC vs missiles and +3 vs spells. Which is the majority of things the mage will be thrown at, namely spells and arrows. -5 AC vs arrows is pretty hax, no more spell disruption from an archer. The penalty is reduced constitution, which getting 18con completely avoids. Granted, this ring is also pretty good on a lot of people, but not many can handle reduced HP, frontliners especially.

This...

Is a really good point that I've never thought of. HUGE penalty to save vs death, still, but how often does that come up in BG1?
    @Roller12 Never thought of that! Nice one!

It is an item that is not carried into BG2 though...
    It is carried into bg2, one item is randomly selected out of the good ones the player is carrying and placed in a locker. Its baldurans helmet per default.. There is a trick though to get them all(exploit) pause the game at start of BG2, and drop the items before the game deletes them, hehe. For a bg2 mage i would definitely get 15 wis though or 18, if the wis tomes are going on someone else. bg2 Wish is just too good of a spell.

death penalty, not often, but depends on spell implementations, mods, patches or something, its a Cloudkill save, but i dont remember enemies casting it, and probably just as easy to run out of its effect.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited October 2012
    Roller12 said:

It is carried into bg2, one item is randomly selected out of the good ones the player is carrying and placed in a locker. Its baldurans helmet per default.. There is a trick though to get them all(exploit) pause the game at start of BG2, and drop the items before the game deletes them, hehe. For a bg2 mage i would definitely get 15 wis though or 18, if the wis tomes are going on someone else. bg2 Wish is just too good of a spell.

death penalty, not often, but depends on spell implementations, mods, patches or something, its a Cloudkill save, but i dont remember enemies casting it, and probably just as easy to run out of its effect.

You can buy potions of perception in any number of temples in bg2 though and they are not expensive, I actually did not realise how easy it is to get them. So having 18 wisdom is really only good for the lore benefit. I mean its a toss-up between charisma and wisdom generally in my case.
    Roller12 said:

I was able to bring the claw over to bg2 a few days ago, but so far I have not had much use for it just because of the composition of my party (I am a druid) and because of the hit you take for constitution loss. However, you got me thinking about gnomes. It could be really good with a gnomish illusionist. I think you get your short bonuses recalculated whenever you level up, but even with a reduced constitution to 16 you still would benefit from it. Since you are a gnome you wouldn't get save vs death short bonuses (unlike dwarves and halflings) so in bg2 especially it would be bad if you were poisoned/paralyzed, but that would be made up potentially through the extra save vs spell/wand bonuses you'd get on top of your shorty saves for wands/spells. Not sure, might have to be investigated :)
    edited October 2012
    @elminster
    Not for my tastes, can be run out or dispelled, consume time to drink. I prefer hard bases. That having said if they are available in infinite number then youre probably right. I tried to use/store potions on PI and it was horrible, too slow for action.
    The game basically throws potions of perception at you. You can get a potion storing bag early by heading to Watcher's Keep and buying it from the store outside.

Wish is a difficult spell to utilize in battle, I find, so "extra time" spent to go quaff a potion doesn't bother me. Most fights are over super, super quick as is.

Honestly, I find it's the most overrated spell anyway. Here's a list of all effects from Wish (not limited wish. The full power spell.) I got this list off PlanetBaldursGate.
    -Improved Haste on all party members
    -Breach on all enemies in the area
    -Restoration on all party members
    -Raise all party members' characteristics to 25 for 4 rounds
    -Resurrection on all dead party members
    -All party members gain the temporary ability Greater Deathblow
    -All party members gain the temporary ability Hardiness
    -Create a random wand in caster's inventory
    -Create a random potion in the caster's inventory
    -Make it as if the entire party has just rested a full night and re-memorized all their spells
    -Cast a double-length Time Stop and Improved Alacrity on the caster

Improved Haste is a 7th level spell and you should already have it prepared once or twice. You shouldn't need to waste a 9th level slot to get 7th level spell results.

Breach on all enemies is kind of nice, but it's rare there's multiple enemies in the area you need to cast breach on, there's wands you can get out of Watcher's Keep that cast Breach, and it's a 5th level spell. Not worth wasting a 9th level slot for this, as it's unreliable this will even come up when you need it.

Restoration on all party members gets a giant Meh from me. Why are multiple guys in your party level drained? Stupid.

Resurrection on all party members is handy in a pinch, but 1) why are multiple guys on your team dead? 2) Where's your cleric? If your clerics and druids are all dead and the fight is over and you can't easily return to town AND you're out of charges on your rod of ressurection? Okay. Then you can pray this result comes up.

Creating random wands/potions is kind of silly. There isn't a wand out there that shoots higher than 5th level spells. You already said you don't like using potions because they are "too slow for action."

That leaves us with temporarily setting the party's stats to 25 across the board for 4 rounds (kind of cool. Doesn't last very long, though), giving everyone a temporary use of some of the least important fighter HLAs (fighters will already have them and your other guys won't make very good use of them), double-lenth time stop and improved alacrity on the caster (admittedly awesome but only if you haven't already burned a lot of your spells and double only if you're fighting someone not immune to time stop like a dragon, Demogorgon, liches, Melissan, etc.)

So out of the 11 options that are purely good, with no downsides, there is a single effect I consider truly awesome, and that's resting as though you slept the whole night and restoring the party's spells accordingly. To get the most out of this option, you must be in a battle that lasts a really long time. Else you can just rest anyway and save the hassle of hoping this option comes up.

KEEP IN MIND: this spell resides in a 9th level slot. A cast of this (which isn't that reliable even at 18 Wisdom) eats up a slot you could use for any HLA spell. And all this time, you've had to throw stat points into a stat that gives you no other returns at all and can be replicated easily with a single potion.
    edited October 2012
    Thats precisely why having base wis18 is great, in my opinion ofc, combat quickness. With gear, Projected image is instant cast, which casts Wish, which is also an instant cast. Which means with base wisdom 18 we can have a double timestopped PI or any other good option available at any time, no matter what. Refreshing ALL party's HLA's and spells during combat? No problem.

edit: oh, i read the post now. Wishes are cast through PI so its just one lvl7 spell for anything, PI casting Alacrity at first is a bit slower and more risky, but ensures spells still can be cast on a bad Wish option.
    Post edited by Roller12 on
    I feel like for all that effort, you could just cast some other enemy-obliterating spell and be done with it.

It's got some neat effects, but nothing that strikes me as worth rolling for a long time to get some absurd roll.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

... HUGE penalty to save vs death, still, but how often does that come up in BG1?

basilisks?