Skip to content

Have you ever readjusted the experience points per quest in SoA?

DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
It might sound a bit strange, but I used a mod that decreased quest xp to 10% of its original value, and it does balance the game a bit!

I mean, all quest from chapter 2 can solved when you're around levels 9-11. More than that makes them too easy.
No problems for chapter 3 either, you'll be around levels 12-14
Chapter 4 - 15-16
If you solve all big quests , by the end of the game you'll be around level 17-19

I think that is more interesting than using certain mods that gave villains astronomical powers, in order to be real challenges.

Have you ever tried it? What other stuff have you do to balance the game?

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Maybe it's because I haven't played the game all that often but I find SoA tough enough as it stands and I can't imagine trying to make it harder.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    My basic preference is to have both players and opponents successively become more and more powerful throughout a game (or game series in this case), up until a point when the story hits climax after a lot of epic adventuring, where you and your main antagonist are both powers on a global or equivalent scale.

Imposing balance by limiting the capabilities of players and opponents results, ideally, in a similar kind of challenge, but doesn't make for the same kind of dynamic and lengthy story/development, imo. So I generally prefer to allow my character to become very powerful, and then use various mods to make enemies smarter and/or more powerful.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Permidion is right (even though he keeps changing his avatar, which irritates me to no end - you never know whether you're talking to your friendly neighbourhood thief or not :P).

Permidion is right (even though he keeps changing his avatar, which irritates me to no end - you never know whether you're talking to your friendly neighbourhood thief or not :P).

I only change it because I'm playing Alora in LadyRhian's roleplaying challenge. I'll change back to the Permidion picture as soon as I get killed again.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/role-playing
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    iono. vanilla bg2 is pretty easy considering all the cheesy tactics. The lvl 6 mislead spell can own most monsters in bg2 (except some that can see through invisibility).
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I thought the leveling up was quite reasonable.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012

I'd actually like to see a fitting portrait for that character, the burglar with the lofty ambition of hitting High Hedge. Not to presume anything, but this makes me want to rummage through my collection of portraits, lol.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    DJKajuru said:

It might sound a bit strange, but I used a mod that decreased quest xp to 10% of its original value, and it does balance the game a bit!

@DJKajuru What's tha name of the mod? I'd like to try this.
    @Lemernis
    I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I've always wondered what he looks like. I imagine him to be something like Eldoth but not quite so smarmy.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Thanks, @Shin!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

@Lemernis
    I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I've always wondered what he looks like. I imagine him to be something like Eldoth but not quite so smarmy.

I'll look. FYI, the thought of this had me post this idea in Feature Requests.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited October 2012
    I used Ding0's experience fixer in Tutu, when installing some mods that add extra adventurers: The Secret of Bone Hill, The Stone of Askavar and The Grey Clan. I halved xp to avoid becoming overpowered with the extra xp granted by the mods. The Secret of Bone Hill and The Stone of Askaver disappointed me though, I skipped playing them further and thus got short of xp and thus levels to be able to deal with The Grey Clan. I discontinued playing my custom made 'mega-mod install' for that reason.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I go out of my way to ensure that Baldur's Gate has no semblance of balance at all, because balance is stupid.