Skip to content

First time playing IWD. Solo?

While I wait for the 2.1 bug fixes to BGEE and BG2EE (and the respective mod updates), I decided to try, for the first time, IWD (specifically, IWDEE).

I never played IWD, however I have played to exhaustion BGI and II (well, chapters 1 and 2 more so than the rest, anyway).

I understand that this is supposed to be played with a party but since they're all player-created and we don't get the BG2 banter, I would prefer to play solo. Is it really unfeasible?

And if not, what would be a good class to play for a first time experience? Is it more like BG1 where fighters dominate, or like BG2 where arcane casters rule?

Comments

• Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    IWD is a lot more combat oriented than the BG series. It still has a great story and awesome visuals/music, don't get me wrong. As such, you'll find the enemy mobs are typically larger in number.

As has already been mentioned, there are a LOT of undead enemies in this game. A high level Turn Undead would not go amiss. Cleric/Thief is a fun option, though you might miss the fighters toughness when you're surrounded by monsters. I'm not sure how much I'd like it solo, but it's real fun in a small party.

Fighter/Cleric is always a good choice. Undead Hunter and Cavalier are good options if you're looking for a single class.

Arcane can do very well, but you'll want to throw out mass AoE due to the large amount of bodies coming at you.

For weapon choice, I think blunt weapons are king. Morningstars in particular would be good to put a few pips in.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited April 2016
    Fighter/Cleric is a good choice.
    Also I think Druid is a very interesting class in iwd with good summonings and offensive spells. So I would recommend fighter/druid. It will be a bit more challenging though but definitely worth it.

You should try Scale of Balance mod for gameplay improvement. Check iwd:ee mods section
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Sure, you can play it solo. It is completely feasible.
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    I've just finished my first IWD run, and solo. I got an elven FMT, double wielding longswords initially, with warhammer/short sword on occasions. It's a powerhouse, a pleasure to play with. It's my first solo in any of the IE games and went flawlessly (more or less :P). I highly recommend it if it's your first solo: you are going to appreciate the melee capabilities of it when you run out of spells (and it will happen), and you can easily disable traps (full of them) while also casting as crazy. There are also some armour that don't block casting, but I ended up not using them: better a robe increasing the number of spells.

For the next one I'd probably do a 2-player party: FM + CT. This way I can get a nice Longsword only for fighter mages, and the cleric/thief can be dedicated to traps and healing. Not that the latter was really needed: I did not feel any need for cleric spells, since with a solo I was full of potions (disease and poison are common in battle, but you never run out of potions).
  • mrdeluxemrdeluxe Member Posts: 98
    edited April 2016
    Thank you all for your suggestions!

I ended up creating a four person team: A Paladin (Inquisitor), a Shapeshifter, a Bard and an Illusionist/Thief (One-Knee Jansen, Jan Jansen’s great-great-cousin).

The Paladin and the Shapeshifter are kicking ass while the I/T casts Sleep and shoots bolts.
    The Bard, however, just stands around and sings. I read that Bards are great in IWD but I feel that, atm, I'm not doing much with mine…
    Post edited by mrdeluxe on
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2016
    There is also a very well made mod for IWD that gives you 5 companions to play with (you don't have to take them all). They all have banter and such. If you don't want to play solo and want banters, I recommend it :smile: It doesn't change anything else in the game (to my knowledge) except gives you the pre-made characters (except your own) and banter :smile:

Edit: I might be too late :smiley:
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    @mrdeluxe: the Bard will get progressively better spells as (s)he levels. It's been too long, but I recall either level 3 or 5 gives you a decent combat buff song, but the real prize is when you hit level 11, as the War Chant of Sith song gives all your party members significant combat buffs, plus regeneration. You'll appreciate an unlimited source of healing so your Shapeshifter can memorize other spells instead of nothing but Cure Wounds.
    Thank you, everyone, for your help.

I'm going to restart since, apparently, there was a bunch of stuff I could've done with my Bard in the Prologue and didn't. I'll probably do the same characters (Inquisitor, Shapeshifter, Bard, I/T), but I think I'm gonna redistribute some stats and proficiencies. Any recommendations on weapon choices? And other general tips that won't spoil the game too much? :)
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    For me, the must-haves in IWD are long sword, flail/ms, and longbow.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    I would agree with what Joluv said. Axes are also a strong choice.

Your bard will really come into their own once they've got some levels under their belt and start learning new songs.
    Thanks guys!

Charisma being equal, who do you think is the better face character: the Paladin with high Wisdom or the Bard with high Intelligence?
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    They're both great choices, and you can switch between them for the specific situations where it matters. There are several class-specific interactions for each of them. (I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of stat requirements for interactions, but I can think of multiple times where Intelligence matters... I think I remember @bengoshi knowing more about this.) When shopping, it's better to go with your Bard and cast Friends for maximum charisma-based discounts.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I'd go with Paladin as the face character with 17 Cha and just have the bard for shopping with 15 base charisma boosting to 20 via friends.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    joluv said:

They're both great choices, and you can switch between them for the specific situations where it matters. There are several class-specific interactions for each of them. (I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of stat requirements for interactions, but I can think of multiple times where Intelligence matters... I think I remember @bengoshi knowing more about this.) When shopping, it's better to go with your Bard and cast Friends for maximum charisma-based discounts.

I know INT matters for several dialogues in BG but I haven't heard about anything similar in IWD. INT means a lot in IWD for magic users because there're not many scrolls for the same spell and INT-boosting potions there.

As for the race/class specific dialogues, check https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41754/special-class-race-specific-banter-dialogue-guide-contains-spoilers#latest
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    bengoshi said:

joluv said:

I know INT matters for several dialogues in BG but I haven't heard about anything similar in IWD. INT means a lot in IWD for magic users because there're not many scrolls for the same spell and INT-boosting potions there.

As for the race/class specific dialogues, check https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41754/special-class-race-specific-banter-dialogue-guide-contains-spoilers#latest
    That same thread has many of the attribute dependent interactions and there are many int ones.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Oh, right - now revisiting that thread I indeed see several mentions of INT checks in IWD:

Jed's Alcoholism: In Easthaven, if speak to old Jed with a character possessing at least 16 INT, you will gain an additional dialogue option where you identify the root cause of his dependency on alcohol. After discussing this for a while you gain a dialogue option where you can try to convince him to quit drinking, you need at least 15 CHR to succeed, which will earn you 1,200xp and 6gp in the process.

Uligar's Tribute: In the Ruined Mill on the Kuldahar Pass, you will encounter an orc named Uligar who demands tribute in exchange for your lives. Ask him "Why should I? If your character has at least 14 INTand 14 CHR you will gain an extra dialogue option "Quit threatening me or I'll slice your belly open.... " Uligars next response will depend on your Strength, a score of 14 STR or more will intimidate Uligar into leaving you alone, less than 14 and he will laugh at you before attacking.

Albion and the Temple of Eldath:When you first speak to Albion, you can quiz him about the Heartstone Gem. He will claim that he knows little, and soon after the conversation will end. If you speak to him a second time, you can ask him "Are you sure, you dont know anything about the Heartstone Gem". If your character has at least 16 INT, you can catch him in a lie at this point, exposing his deception and earning you 24,000XP. Be aware that you lose access to several minor NPC interactions, the librarian who sells spell scrolls and an inn if you expose the talonites early, and that you would have still gotten the experience later on in the chapter, as exposing the group is a prerequesite to finishing the level.

Thanks for the heads up!
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Playing solo is not really advisable as you being at level 1 like in BG1. Nothing hugely threatening like wolves and bears but there are a ton of goblins you have to deal with among other things before you reach civilization again.

If you are playing naturally (story progression) without knowing how to cheat the game - then soloing is quiet difficult regardless of class - mages are to weak - and fighters are not strong enough yet to solo without knowing what you are doing in the game - meta-gaming really helps when you are soloing - since a newbie soloing without a clue will die very fast. Imagine soloing BG1 without knowing the maps and encounters and you won't last very long.

A small party is best - you can dismiss them as you get up in levels if you really want to solo.

A multi-class is best for a first time solo - as you will need magic power to survive and melee power if you don't know how to get around things - you can do without a thief as mages get knock and if you have stone skin who cares about damage if you have enough HP. A cleric or druid would be helpful to have along but there is always potions that will help. Going solo or with a small group (3 or less) means leveling up quite fast.

Spells for druids are really quite different - much better in IWD than in BG - the druid have some good spells I always wanted for BG - have fun if you decide to bring a mixed f/d with you.

In the vanilla version of IWD - the bard class was quite good I always brought one with my team - excellent in all ways with their amazing song that levels and changes - not sure if they nerfed this in EE but if they didn't, bring a bard along to record your tale and sing a merry melody as you slash your way through Ice Wind Dale.

Pick Pocketing - can be done as well some good things to be had but not game changing or anything just some nice stuff that could help - but be warned like BG if you fail they will get hostile.

To make IWD more entertaining, role-play your characters as much as possible like BG - a paladin for example does not steal or rob nor negotiate with evil - ahh finally the thrill of finally having a use for detect evil.