Skip to content

How would gifts work?

urbaldurbald Member Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Suppose I'd like to get a few copies to give away as presents. I am not fully clear on the mechanics of actually getting the game and giving it away. I could use a walkthrough, please!

(I haven't played many computer games in recent years; the norm for me is getting a disk, installing, and playing, without any internet requirement.)

Can I download an installer to a flash drive? Would recipients be required to create their own accounts on beamdog? Would they need to have internet access? Would I have to have an account that the recipients all use?

Thanks.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I believe you can gift the game to someone if you have their email address. They'll probably need to create an account in order to activate the game on installation.
  • LuckyLucky Member Posts: 645
    edited September 2012
    @urbald As I know, it'll be possible to download the installer file to a flash drive, or many flash drives, and transfer them to any PC You want. Last I heard. And I don't think it'd would be necessary to create a profile in order to play a game.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I am willing to be a test subject if anyone wants to try gifting ;)

Yes I know I've pre-ordered already, ignore that.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited October 2012
    urbald said:

Suppose I'd like to get a few copies to give away as presents. I am not fully clear on the mechanics of actually getting the game and giving it away. I could use a walkthrough, please!

Can I download an installer to a flash drive? Would recipients be required to create their own accounts on beamdog? Would they need to have internet access? Would I have to have an account that the recipients all use?

I'll just give you the information I know.

The first thing is to go to your account on Beamdog. You will want to go to your dashboard by clicking on your username near the top-right corner of the page (if you are not signed in, then do so and follow this step). Click on Giftable Games, which should look something like this.

Then all you do is click on the game you want to send; it will bring up a page like this.

Images are for display purpose only.

You have two options, you can give anyone the redeem code without sending the e-mail, or you can send them an e-mail to the address you specify.

The person you gift the game to will be required to connect to the internet so as to redeem it (it is a similar process, but instead of clicking on Giftable Games, they will go to Redeem Games and then enter in the code you gave them).

I am going to also assume they will need to connect to the internet in order to download. I am not sure about copying the installer, I think they will still be required to connect to the internet; if for nothing else than to verify the installer. But that's something you would need to get official word on.

Edit:

While you can transfer the downloaded files to avoid re-downloading them on a different machine, the installer will need to connect to the internet at least once to verify that the game has been purchased on your account. Once it makes this check, it no longer needs to connect to the internet.

Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    That's pretty much true. The installer can be copied however you want, but in order to actually install the game on a computer you have to log into an account that has purchased (or received as a gift) the game.
  • urbaldurbald Member Posts: 2
    Thanks all. Appreciate the info.
  • AnimewareAnimeware Member Posts: 73
    edited October 2012
    here what I know

I think you can install it from beamdog on more then 2 computers I do not know if it will have Serial # or not...

Some games do and some don't as for today Borderlands 2, Diablo 3 etc will require a Serial #

I do not know about Boulder's Gate 1 & 2 did they have a Serial #?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Wow, @Troodon80, how many copies of the game did you buy? :P
  • AnimewareAnimeware Member Posts: 73
    Jalily said:

Wow, @Troodon80, how many copies of the game did you buy? :P

I just notice this just know..... LMAO :)

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Jalily, Not nearly enough.

I'm not sure if there's any way to set a profile to private but, since I don't know how, you can see them here.

I currently have ten left to give away if anyone knows someone who wants one but, for example, can't afford a copy (and doesn't already have one).