Skip to content

Nexus7

AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
edited September 2012 in Android (Archive)
"The world needs more assholes. Just playing with the #Nexus7 and it misses the touches a good asshole dictator can pull off. "
"You have to love something to make it really good. You've got to hate it to make it great. The #Nexus7 is just shy of what it could be"
@TrentOster via Twitter

Don't even know what to think now :(

Comments

• LeronisLeronis Member Posts: 112
    a Steve Jobs reference?
  • shadowstriker85shadowstriker85 Member Posts: 14
    He followed up with:
    "I do have to admit, the #Nexus7 works well for Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition. The seven inch size plays well. #bgee"

My guess is he was just frustrated about something on the tablet.
  • LDE123LDE123 Member Posts: 1
    Well...which is it? lol
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I was confused in the end - is the Nexus 7 good or bad??? D:
    If I am to buy a sort-of tablet which is kinda cheap nowadays... I need to know O_O
  • AnimewareAnimeware Member Posts: 73
    It will work on any Android Device I do not see why it won't work on it.....

The Nexus 7 one of the fastest tablet's on the market today it will run it......
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    The Nexus 7 is supported - we have one in office and we're using it to test with. @TrentOster's just referring to the OS foibles. Hey - maybe at some point you'll get to hear what he said about the Windows 8 tablet we got in the office... hoooooo boy! I think he's just a grumpy dude. ;)

r.e. the Nexus 7, it IS the smallest formfactor screen we technically support at the moment - the screen works nicely, but I don't think you'd want to play on anything tinier. Runs perfectly, I should add - the hardware is more than up to snuff.

@Cheesebelly ..personally I like it a lot! It's the first Android device I've used that really has a lot of that polished user-interface experience I've been spoiled by with Apple. But I already have an iPad for myself. If I _didn't_ have an iPad already, I'd be buying a Nexus 7 (or Nexus 10? If that ever comes out?). We'll see what the next big hardware generation brings - I suspect the difference may be enough for me to dump my apple peripherals =)
  • AnimewareAnimeware Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2012
    Nathan said:

The Nexus 7 is supported - we have one in office and we're using it to test with. @TrentOster's just referring to the OS foibles. Hey - maybe at some point you'll get to hear what he said about the Windows 8 tablet we got in the office... hoooooo boy! I think he's just a grumpy dude. ;)

r.e. the Nexus 7, it IS the smallest formfactor screen we technically support at the moment - the screen works nicely, but I don't think you'd want to play on anything tinier. Runs perfectly, I should add - the hardware is more than up to snuff.

@Cheesebelly ..personally I like it a lot! It's the first Android device I've used that really has a lot of that polished user-interface experience I've been spoiled by with Apple. But I already have an iPad for myself. If I _didn't_ have an iPad already, I'd be buying a Nexus 7 (or Nexus 10? If that ever comes out?). We'll see what the next big hardware generation brings - I suspect the difference may be enough for me to dump my apple peripherals =)

I was wondering Nathan will it support Motorola Xoom Tablet and Samsung Galaxy Note Smarthone devices.... and other tablets as well?
  • LeronisLeronis Member Posts: 112
    @Animeware Didja forget to ampersand nathan so he sees your question?
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    I'm not grumpy, I just call it as I see it. Android on the Nexus 7 is a 100 small touches from being great.
    Windows 8 on tablets, not so much.

-Trent
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Now I'm confused, so Trent likes Windows 8 on tablets, or doesn't?
  • AckillesAckilles Member Posts: 6
    Nice! Well I've already pre bought the PC version and now I'm off to buy the Android version for my Nexus 7!
  • AckillesAckilles Member Posts: 6
    Never mind can't buy it yet.
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    Trent thinks the Windows 8 tablet he got is pretty much doorstopper material.

-Trent
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95

Android on the Nexus 7 is a 100 small touches from being great.

-Trent

I can agree with that for sure. Some of it can be solved with a different ROM, but so far I haven't found the "perfect" setup for my N7.

I'm still looking forward to playing BG on it though!!
  • saguysaguy Member Posts: 4
    I have a Nexus 7 and I am worried that it may be be bit too small. I would love to see some screenshots at native resolution to see how things scale. I am currently playing Avadon: The Black Fortress with a stylus without too much of an issue even though everything is so tiny. At least Avadon has a very minimal interface and a looting system that collects all ground objects in a area around the player.

I really want to start playing but am undecided whether to get it for PC or wait for the Android release.
  • Huskarl2006Huskarl2006 Member Posts: 21
    saguy said:

I have a Nexus 7 and I am worried that it may be be bit too small. I would love to see some screenshots at native resolution to see how things scale. I am currently playing Avadon: The Black Fortress with a stylus without too much of an issue even though everything is so tiny. At least Avadon has a very minimal interface and a looting system that collects all ground objects in a area around the player.

I really want to start playing but am undecided whether to get it for PC or wait for the Android release.

I have the same dilemma!
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    I was in the same boat, i still own my copy of BG and TOTSC so i wasn't bothered about the PC version, i did however go and buy a Nexus just for this release.

I've since played the EE on PC and to be honest i'd rather have waited, i don't think it does anywhere near enough to justify it's price tag and the delay in development.

I will still be buying it when it gets an Android release though.
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    I will also be buying a tablet, but depending on how well it plays on a 7" screen, it'll be a Nexus 7 or 10. It's hopeful that Nathan likes the 7 as a platform. That's the kind of review I'm looking for.
    It's probably worth getting the 10 instead. I think most people will probably find the 7 too cramped. If the 10 had been about at release date i'd probably have bought that instead.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    People with an Ipad Mini are saying it's perfectly playable. I don't see any reason a Nexus 7 wouldn't be good to play as well.
  • saguysaguy Member Posts: 4
    I would advise anyone not to get the 10 but rather spend a bit more and get an iPad. Nothing to do with the hardware which is top notch but there are just so few top notch apps and games for android tablets. Mostly upscaled cr.... py freemium games. I dont think this is going to change as there is not much profit in making games for Android tablets. My Nexus 7 made sense when I bought as there was nothing even remotely in that price range.
    It'll be playable, depends how much screen space you want really. I'm fine with the Nexus 7 for gaming and watching movies, but it was the only version out when i bought it. Given the option i'd probably have gone for a larger screen.
  • k8eycatk8eycat Member Posts: 21
    I had a 7 inch Acer and a 10 inch Samsung. For gaming, I find the 10 better. While games are perfectly playable on the 7, it was just that much nicer on the 10. The size difference just made it easier on the eyes, and the graphics looked better on the 10.
  • FungostarFungostar Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 179
    I can't wait to see it running on my MK802 attached to a FullHD 42" TV...

it must (and will) be awesome !
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    I concur that BG:EE will definitely be nicer on a 10" display. But for me, portability is important. I do a lot of traveling (plane and backpack) and from what I hear, a smaller size does wonders for that.
  • k8eycatk8eycat Member Posts: 21
    Malbortus said:

I concur that BG:EE will definitely be nicer on a 10" display. But for me, portability is important. I do a lot of traveling (plane and backpack) and from what I hear, a smaller size does wonders for that.

Lol! Good reasoning.

I like my Samsung better than my Acer, though to be fair I only had the Acer for a month, and the size difference is one of the main reasons. I think if I were getting a Nexus I'd go with a 10.
  • MystraTheMageMystraTheMage Member Posts: 71
    I have to disagree with the size matters pun. I have tested Baldur Gate Gemrb on my asus transformer tablet, on my friends htc phone, on my wife's Sony and on my Galaxy Note 2. The best experience for viewing quality, playability and overall happiness was my Note 2. It ran super smooth and fast, Echo / Sound Test Service and graphics were perfect on the 5.5 inch amolled HD screen and the S pen made gaming amazing, even more responsive than using a mouse! If I was a dev, I would be looking at what machines can make the bg.ee experience amazing.
  • TorisenTorisen Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking forward to this on the Nexus 7 but also have a Galaxy 8.9 that I want to play it on as well. I just really can't wait for this to come out on Android WOOT!
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    I'm sooooooo looking forward to this on my Samsung Note 10.1 (with the S-Pen). Sure hope it hits the Play Store before the Christmas break... where I'll have 11 days off work!!!