Skip to content

Gamebreaking bug for Mages with Familiars not even 20 minutes into the game.

So I just got SoD after finally getting around to playing BG:EE that I've had since it came out and I decided to get SoD just because I wanted to do transfer a save file over from SoD to BG2:EE. So I transfer my save file over from Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and start up SoD. At first everything seems fine, all my characters transfer over with all of my equipment and I have a pretty fun time doing the introduction dungeon. So I complete it and talk to Imoen and tell her I am ready to leave. I then get woken up by Imoen and after she is done talking and leaves, I try to click on the chest next to my bed which is where I though all the gear from my previous party was probably going to end up but my character is unable to move and seems to be stuck in the bed. I reload several times hoping this was a random issue to then realize my familiar is able to move and seems to be in the spot where I would assume my character would be after waking up. Sensing this to be the issue, I reload, make a save and the kill my familiar. Sure enough this time my character does not get stuck in the bed when woken up by Imoen.

So I am now faced with either PERMANENTLY losing one Constitution point, which as a mage, I really don't want to do or not being able to play the game with my imported mage. Seriously, what the fuck!? 20 minutes into the game and I already face a game breaking bug and if I want to continue with my imported character, which I most certainly do, I now have to wait some undetermined amount of time for a bug fix. This is inexcusable, bugs are to be expected, but game breaking bugs that happen before I can even get started really destroys my immersion and makes me lose the will to invest the huge amount of time it takes to complete one of these games.

I don't know if I am the first person to encounter this bug but I could not find anything about it using google or through the search function for this forum so I thought I would bring it up.

Here's to hoping this gets fixed ASAP so I can actually play this game.

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Put the familiar in your inventory?

I played through SoD first time as a blade and this did not happen to me.
    The_Guilty_Partyjoluvmf2112lunar
  • AStarothMagusAStarothMagus Member Posts: 2

Put the familiar in your inventory?

I played through SoD first time as a blade and this did not happen to me.

Thank you, I had no idea that was possible. My main reason for posting this was because I was hoping there was some workaround I was not aware of, so thanks a bunch!
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    Its very useful for making sure the thing doesnt die as well. Almost never have mine out. You should raise this as a bug in Redmine (see top post).
    GrammarsaladJuliusBorisov
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This issue should have been fixed by the 2.1 update. If you haven't applied the update yet (it was released on Thursday), that should remedy the issue. (If you have, then I'm not sure what happened.)