Skip to content

books on forgotten realms lore

creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
i was looking into learning more about the lore of the forgotten realms, and found several novels in this setting. but i was wondering if there was a book which summarized a lot of the lore into a single book, maybe showing the timelines of the different ages and significant events, maps of the different regions, quick biographies on some of the more notable characters, and quick summaries on some of the more notable events and periods like the time of troubles. i know that this would be a lot to cover and would be almost impossible to cover comprehensively, but i was looking for something general as an intro before actually getting into individual novels

Comments

• EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting books for D&D tabletop have that kind of info.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    There are dozens in-game if you bother to read them. Most are on random bookshelves, and even if you buy them in a store I'm sure the 5 gold is less than amazon charges.
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 137
    edited September 2012
    Timeline I gave you is THE timeline of entire life of Toril (Faerun mostly)

This is a map of Toril

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/MarkusTay/Map Snippets/?action=view&current=Abeir_Toril_Names.jpg&&newest=1

Here is the map of Faerun where most of stories happen (including the BG storyline)

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/wd_maps/FRposterLarge_72.jpg

And here is political map of Faerun:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Political_map_of_Faerûn

Problem you will have while reading timeline is that you don't know some events. I mean when you will read Seldarine wars happened around -30 000 before the new age (BG events are happening around 1365-1369 in new age) you won't know that it means that Lolth (back then known as Araushnee) with some of the elven Gods tried to remove Corellon as prime God of elves and failed.

Many things there won't mean that much to you, as each race/nation/God has his own story that a "realms historian" can talk about for a really really long time.

Maps are worth till Spellplague that occured on 1385 that changed a lot of looks of the world. This is the world map post spellplague which is around 15 years after the events of BG series.

http://diningroomdelves.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/forgotten-realms-mapa-4c2aa-edicao.jpg
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    @Talvrae hey thanks for the link, that looks interesting. i will have to check that out

@Eidolon thanks man ill have to look into that

@Duron oh awesome, those links were great, especially that timeline, gonna spend some time going over that. you're right though, some of the events may not mean as much, but at least ill get a general idea about the years and some of the events. thanks, i appreciate it

@kilroy_was_here yeah i do enjoy picking up a book and reading some of the lore, sometimes ill end up in one of the libraries throughout the game and just go over all of the books. well what can i say amazon just wont seem to accept my bg gold hahaha. by the way, is your profile picture of grahf? because if you like both xenogears and baldur's gate, then we have very similar tastes in rpgs
    @creator1629

I am indeed Grahf, the seeker of power... doth thou desire the power?
  • SouldancertnSouldancertn Member Posts: 45
    I found a copy of Karen Wynn Fonstad's "The Forgotten Realms Atlas" which was a fun read since I enjoyed her Middle Earth Atlas so much.
    http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Realms-Atlas-Karen-Fonstad/dp/0880388579/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348803579&sr=8-1&keywords=the+forgotten+realms+atlas
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Forgotten Realms is a lot of fun to read about. Waterdeep, Raven's Bluff, and The Bloodstone Lands are some of my favorite areas. Makes me miss some pen-and-paper AD&D!
    edited September 2012
    Well, I myself am a DM who always has to make up a storyline so realms are my backpocket to say it that way. We all play 3.5 version so we play in age prior to Spellplague.

Right now I put them on the island of Meluria where the country is in middle of a civil war. They themselves still don't know how the war started, only that the king that was beloved is attacking their part of the land together with the greatest hero of the land. Point that atm they don't know is that they are holding kings army at bay while Malachet Queen of the succubi (in guise of one of their leaders) opens a portal to abyss and brings forth a demon invasion. I wonder what they will say when after a year of RL time fighting for her they figure out who and what is responisble for entire civil war and for demon invasion.

Sad thing is that all of that requires intimate knowledge of entire realms. Specially when they decide to make some crazy move, like using enhanced avalanche spell on kings army... I'm looking and wondering how the hell does one army pass just 2-3 spellcasters crazy like that party of pscho CG characters. I always have to search through history of the realms to counter their moves.
    I am a DM myself as well, and I also run a Forgotten Realms campaign. While I'm currently running a 4e Campaign (don't shoot me!) I still use my third edition Campaign Setting. I love the realms but I am no fan of the Spellplague.

For the Realms there are also books like The Underdark, Magic of Faerûn, Lords of Darkness, and Faith and Pantheons, etc. I love reading through those to get inspiration for a new campaign or story arc.
  • KelesKeles Member Posts: 31
    http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Campaign-Setting-Dungeons-Roleplaying/dp/0786918365/ref=cm_lmf_tit_6

this would be a good starting point imo for generic information. basically, given the whole shebang is based off pen&paper AD&D your best best is to reference the gaming books versus novels for information. a good number of which you can still find out there in various places.

hope that helps a lil :) ~
    wow you guys are DMs? that's cool, Ive always wanted to get into pen and paper d&d but have never really gotten around to it.

@kilroy_was_here wait a minute... that always means it's time for a boss fight... unless you are saying that to me, in which case I'm the boss in this fight
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615

wow you guys are DMs? that's cool, Ive always wanted to get into pen and paper d&d but have never really gotten around to it.

@kilroy_was_here wait a minute... that always means it's time for a boss fight... unless you are saying that to me, in which case I'm the boss in this fight

*Rolls Initiative*
    @LordsDarkKnight185 hahahaha, my saving throws versus initiative have clearly been way too high these past few years, i must overcome this!

@LordsDarkKnight185 hahahaha, my saving throws versus initiative have clearly been way too high these past few years, i must overcome this!

<.< There is so much fail in that response, but i like you so its ok.
    edited October 2012
    @creator1629 Actually there is a better than even chance you were already a boss fight, lost, and are now desperately grasping at straws. So either the power will drive you insane so you can fight (and lose) another boss fight, or you won't be able to handle the power and it will destroy you completely.

Make your choice! :)

*epic character theme plays* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN6z3jJ7ENw
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    @Duron many thanks for the great links, particularly the timeline. Absolutely fascinating and gives a terrific overview and amazing opportunities to create new scenarios to play out in this world. Thanks again, much appreciated!
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @rufus_hobart

I read the whole thing. I think the stuff at the end of the timeline isn't entirely accurate since they don't mention the spellplague.
    edited October 2012
    It's missing the Spellplague. The current year in Farûn is 1479 DR, the Year of the Ageless One.

"The Spellplague broke out in 1385 DR (the Year of Blue Fire), the result of unfettered wild magic on the death of the goddess Mystra. Whole countries are gone, especially in regions south of the Sea of Fallen Stars. Even familiar lands have become magical and fantastic in appearance. Islands of rock called earthmotes drift through the sky. Weird towers and spires of stone jut from the landscape. Spectacular chasms and waterfalls abound."

- Portions of Abeir have fused with Toril.
    - The number of gods has dropped markedly.
    - The Spellplague left its mark on creatures.
    - Huge Underdark collapses have changed the surface of Faerûn.
    - Thay has become a terrible undead threat.
    - The ancient empire of Netheril has been restored.
    - Ancient elven lineages have returned to Faerûn.
    - Most portals no longer work."
    @LordsDarkKnight185 how dare you good sir! that post made perfect sense and I was not at all sleep deprived coming off my shift.... to be quite honest I'm not quite sure if I was trying to make a logical post which didn't quite pan out or a joke which didn't come together very well... I'll have to get back with you on that....

@kilroy_was_here well can I at least be like the Hammer boss fight where I self destruct and at least have a chance of taking out all my opponents?
    @Eidolon wow, your extensive knowledge of the events in the timeline is actually quite impressive. I'm still working on the first few pages

@Eidolon wow, your extensive knowledge of the events in the timeline is actually quite impressive. I'm still working on the first few pages

It's not that impressive, just quoting my D&D 4th edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide!
    Yea, I know timeline is missing 4th edition further events. But I'll be honest. I fucking hate Spellplague, murder of Mystra (specially on the way it was done as I red Emyrian Odyssey), deaths and way that some of the Gods died. Aka Helm, Tyr, Azuth, transformation of Talos into Gruumsh, death of Duergar Pantheon. Elven Pantheon merging with human pantheon (Moonbow turned out to be Selune etc.) etc with 90% of things.

Only thing I did like was the way of death for Drow Pantheon. Smedman did a great job with Lady Penitent if you ask me. And only other thing that is okey was Sembia becoming new Netheril base of Shar and the Arch-Wizards.

But honestly, Abolethic Sovereignity... Abysall plague, entire spellplague, so much bullshit. I just hate the entire storyline of 4th edition and to me they ruined Faerun badly. I prefer my world before deaths of so many major characters and Gods. 7 sisters gone, Blackstaff gone, Cadderly Bonaduce gone, Zhentil... lets say gone.

Only good book series in 4th edition to me are Brotherhood of the Gryphon and Blades of the moonsea... with the fact that Blades are not that good, but are better then the rest that was offered.

And that is only storyline wise, game wise 4th edition left me with eyes wide open... like WTF? I ain't playing a pen and paper WoW, I play DnD for fuck sake, give me back my actual dice rolling. I play this for that and not for WoW stile of hack and slash.

@Duron many thanks for the great links, particularly the timeline. Absolutely fascinating and gives a terrific overview and amazing opportunities to create new scenarios to play out in this world. Thanks again, much appreciated!

You're welcome. There is always http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page for explanations on anything you might find confusing in the timeline. And ofc wiki has answers about Spellplague and all the crap that happened after it.
    I honestly don't have much of a problem with the spellplague.

True, I disliked how they killed off so many characters (they couldn't even let them die of old age) but I still read the 4E novels. Though, yes, the Brotherhood of the Griffon and Blades of the Moonsea books stand out to me compared to the rest. But I think Erik Scott de Bie did a great job with Downshadow (I wish I could buy the other two Shadowbane books) and City of the Dead is also a great book.

I liked the Empyrean Oddysey books, but the Aboletic Sovereignity not as much. I think I don't like Bruce Cordell's writing style much.
    @creator1629 You can't be Hammer because you haven't murdered any side characters for no reason. Plus you never once called me 'bro...
    Tanthalas said:

I honestly don't have much of a problem with the spellplague.

True, I disliked how they killed off so many characters (they couldn't even let them die of old age) but I still read the 4E novels. Though, yes, the Brotherhood of the Griffon and Blades of the Moonsea books stand out to me compared to the rest. But I think Erik Scott de Bie did a great job with Downshadow (I wish I could buy the other two Shadowbane books) and City of the Dead is also a great book.

I liked the Empyrean Oddysey books, but the Aboletic Sovereignity not as much. I think I don't like Bruce Cordell's writing style much.

I dont so much care for the spellplague, but the books can be good. i especially have an affection for Brimstone Angels.
    edited October 2012
    @LordsDarkKnight185

I actually have Brimstone Angels on the way in the mail.

@LordsDarkKnight185 how dare you good sir! that post made perfect sense and I was not at all sleep deprived coming off my shift.... to be quite honest I'm not quite sure if I was trying to make a logical post which didn't quite pan out or a joke which didn't come together very well... I'll have to get back with you on that....

*Pats back* Its ok, man. I was just trying to pick on you, because Initiative is what determines who-goes-first, there is no saving throw against it.