Skip to content

books on forgotten realms lore

2»

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I'm picking up the Brimstone Angels and the Shadowbane books later today for my Nook. I might try Brotherhood of the Griffon and Blades of the Moonsea later. I'm really looking forward to the 6 sundering books next year.
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    Duron said:

And that is only storyline wise, game wise 4th edition left me with eyes wide open... like WTF? I ain't playing a pen and paper WoW, I play DnD for fuck sake, give me back my actual dice rolling. I play this for that and not for WoW stile of hack and slash.

I don't really understand this there's still plenty of dice rolling in 4e (well the Saving Throw stuff is a bit silly), and from a DM point of view it's a whole lot more streamlined. Having said that I prefer 3e myself.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    The Spellplague caused me to skip 4E entirely(though the edition's grid reliance also played a role in that). It represented a conscious decision on WotC's part to ignore current customers in hopes of attracting new ones. I guess they assumed that the old fanbase was loyal enough to keep buying no matter what, but I at least haven't bought a single WotC product since, novels included.

Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms is coming out in 2 weeks. This book represents the first real attempt by WotC to win older fans back, and -reviews pending- I am strongly considering buying it. I don't know about the upcoming "Sundering" storyline since apparently it's still continuing post-Spellplague, but 5E in general seems to be fairly appealing, so as long as some pre-Spellplague material comes out, it looks like I'll be a regular customer again.

• DuronDuron Member Posts: 137
    Eidolon said:

I don't really understand this there's still plenty of dice rolling in 4e (well the Saving Throw stuff is a bit silly), and from a DM point of view it's a whole lot more streamlined. Having said that I prefer 3e myself.

Exactly. Saving throw stuff is retarded. They simplified so many things. There is dice roll, but now it is no longer fighting an ogre for an hour while you talk stuff with friends, it is more in roll dice, dead, roll dice, saved, roll dice new encounter.

Spells per day, week, month... annoying. Entire 4E looked and felt wrong. And like I said, storyline of realms got screwed in many directions.

Don't get me wrong, it was time to clear out a bit of pantheons. There really was a bit of to many Gods out there. But they took out wrong ones and on really wrong way. I mean... killing off Mystra for one is stupidest thing that they have ever done. They already killed Godess of magic once, the fuck was it needed to kill her again? And this time for no reason there was not a new one there to grab hold and weave collapsed together with her realm? Then from all the "goodly justice and law Gods" they kill Helm which is probably the most used God in entire realms history when it comes to representation of Justice and Law. I hated what they done to Talos and to the way they cut down pantheon of elves (it was shown how they are actually some God in a guise of another).

Okey, they did a few good things. They took out few Gods that were there for no real reason (Duergar pantheon imo should have had 1 God remaining instead of killing them all), clearing Drow pantheon (even though I personally would have kept Elistrallee), turning Azmodan into a full God, but overall slopy job with that spellplague and all that it brought. Joining of Aber with Toril and adding dragonborn+genasi into the story on that way was just weak. It's not that I didn't like them, but my Grandma could have thought of a better story then spellplague.

• TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Duron said:

Only thing I did like was the way of death for Drow Pantheon. Smedman did a great job with Lady Penitent if you ask me. And only other thing that is okey was Sembia becoming new Netheril base of Shar and the Arch-Wizards.

I hated Lady Penitant whole thing.... Killed all variety in the drow society, living a only a monolith of Lolth worshipers... Sure they left Gaunador... but let be honest who ever play a worshiper of fgaunadhor... or when a DM used one? unless they try to use Temple of elemental evil on faerun it just don,t happen
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Talvrae said:

Duron said:

Only thing I did like was the way of death for Drow Pantheon. Smedman did a great job with Lady Penitent if you ask me. And only other thing that is okey was Sembia becoming new Netheril base of Shar and the Arch-Wizards.

I hated Lady Penitant whole thing.... Killed all variety in the drow society, living a only a monolith of Lolth worshipers... Sure they left Gaunador... but let be honest who ever play a worshiper of fgaunadhor... or when a DM used one? unless they try to use Temple of elemental evil on faerun it just don,t happen
    But the point isn't "who ever played?" i was disappointed because the fast cosmology and list of deities helped the immersion, to feel that the realms is truly alive...dumbing down what made the setting so special compared to other settings is just saddening.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315

Talvrae said:

Duron said:

But the point isn't "who ever played?" i was disappointed because the fast cosmology and list of deities helped the immersion, to feel that the realms is truly alive...dumbing down what made the setting so special compared to other settings is just saddening.
    Sure your right... but the point remain that they leave as an option, the only option poeple didnt want... for god sake i have seen more Kiransallee worshipers than Gaunadhor
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Talvrae said:

Talvrae said:

Duron said:

Sure your right... but the point remain that they leave as an option, the only option poeple didnt want... for god sake i have seen more Kiransallee worshipers than Gaunadhor
    But in a way that's proper. The slimelords of Ghaunador are like a cult, you should never SEE them.
  • NightfallRobNightfallRob Member Posts: 43
    If you decide to read the novels, read Ed Greenwood and RA Salvatore. There are lots and lots of others, but those will give you a real feel for the world/setting.