Skip to content

V2 Re-design GUI

mr_planescapistmr_planescapist Member Posts: 19
I wish I could revert back to patch 1.3... (though still not perfect, still very playable) Looking at the design, functions GUI changes, the current 2.0 patch feels like it was designed for handheld devices and newscomers.
[some of this was changed in patch 2.1 ]

Lots of clotter missing sounds, missing grahics, extremely poor record screen GUI design, for macs there is absolutely no music (working to fix this in 2.1 apparently) , the spell books messy. Why does everything need a direct visual explanation? Spell icons way in the bottom? Once you get used to the game, having all these info tips areas is all a complete waste of space.

I can live with the Journal changes and inventory screen, though these feel kind of clunky. And the sounds are off.

But that record screen and spell book god its awfull...times 10. IT'S THE RECORD SCREEN!! The place were I relate to my character's abilities, personalitie and powers! Nice and big Tabs to click on the left side?? (convenient for phones and Ipads..)
And where is MY CHARACTER'S NAME?? It took me a minute to find it.
[this was changed in patch 2.1 ]

Easy fix though for now , I have just the old non enhanced original version again. It is a pain to install with all the mods, but it feels a lot better. Simple/clean, intuitive, and somehow looks better.

Please do enhance the game but KEEP THE SAME GUI changes minimal. Or give us a maybe a PC "classic mode" option.
Post edited by mr_planescapist on

Comments

• mr_planescapistmr_planescapist Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2016
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2016
    I can barely tell the difference in comparisons no. 4 and no. 5. The new journal is subjective but I like that it's easier to sort out quests. Your status screen on the last image, the one you take issue with the most, is also outdated. The spellbook you can make an argument for but I am personally indifferent.

I am not taking sides regarding the whole UI issue. I personally couldn't care less whether people prefer the new or the original, but you are grossly exaggerating. And the tools they have given to personalize the UI are objectively an improvement.

I am using the latest GOG mac version, and thats the record screen we get. Was that changed in 2.1?
    I can live with the new journal. Though it kinda feels out of place.
    The inventory screen is fine but feels strange (maybe the sounds, or some lag when clicking things..) It wasnt like this in 1.3.
    The old spellbook was a lot cleaner. Why was it necessary to change it? It felt like a spellbook, not a wiki tutorial.

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2016
    Ummm... the screenshots on the left are vanilla BG2, not BG2EE. Here's the inventory screen from BG2EEv1.3:

As for the Record screen, the tab organization could use work, but I'd hardly call the original design as a pinnacle of good UI design. Basically the design meeting must have gone:

"Hey what do we do with all these thief skills, saving throws, ability bonuses, and other stuff?"

"Ummm, dump it all in disorganized blob of text."
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @AstroBryGuy I think that was intentional.

But yes, the 2.1 UI looks different. It uses the SoD look, which is this:

It's not like vanilla BG but messing with the UI edit mode can make it into something similar.
    edited April 2016
    Yes I used vanilla screeshots just to show and get an idea how far things improved or downgraded.
    I personally enjoyed the clean look and not having to much info overload.

Great gods! We can actually clearly see our character's name! That new record screen looks a lot better.
    Thanks for sharing this. I've updated my post since my impressions are based on patch 2.0. GOG is still on V.2.0.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    The original spellbook screen was designed around the idea that you would have your paper manual next to your keyboard to look up the spells. I still have mine, but people who bought a download version don't. The new screen is much better for a newer player who doesn't have all the spells memorized yet.
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    The new spellbook is much better than the old one, previously to quickly check what a spell does you either 1) Needed a manual next you as @BillyYank pointed out, or 2) Right-Click the spells to open up a dialogue to view the spell description - which gets very very tedious as often selecting a spell with end up with cycles of opening new dialogue boxes and closing them before picking 2x Mirror image and 2x Web.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I may have to wait to play BG2 again until Pecca does a BG2 version of his widescreen mod.