Skip to content

Romance banter request

Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I've read a few of the romance thread discussions and registered because I wanted to make a request on how the romances will be handled. Even though it seems that the game is almost ready and only fine-tuning and game-polishing is occurring right now, I think my request is simple enough at this late date as it only involves text, not code.

Many of the comments I've seen for romances have been along the lines of "make the romances good" or "make them good" or even "don't make them suck". That's all well and good, but that doesn't help you, the devs, very well. What is good? What do people want, specifically? Here are my thoughts.

While I love BG to death, and it's one of my all time favorite CRPGs, I must admit that I didn't like the BG2 romances at all. I felt they were immature and badly written. Not in terms of verbiage, but tone. It's been a while since I've played, but what I remember is Viccy complaining about you being a man, Jaheira complaining that you weren't Khalid, Aerie ignoring you completely to complain about her wings, and Anomen just complaining about everyone. The thing is, all their banter was about complaints. Listening to their complaints was depressing and brought my enjoyment down, not up.

If I'm spending time with someone, be they friend or lover, I want them in my life because they add to it. Their humor, their compassion, their love and their tenderness are what makes me care about them, and be glad I know them. This is what I never saw in the romances, and what I'd like to see in their dialogues and banter for BGEE. The writing doesn't have to be heavy or overwrought, but an overall tone of POSITIVE comments would be very much appreciated. I don't want to hear them complain, or whine, or put anyone down, or belittle me, or play mind games. Just an overall theme of positive support and affirmation. Humor is hard to write, but praise not nearly so.

There could be simple banters like:

As you're walking along, NPC reaches out and takes your hand. NPC looks at you, smiles, and without a word you continue on your way, hand in hand.

"Wow CHARNAME, you killed so many in that battle! I'm amazed! Seeing your skill, your... power, it's... well, it's got me kind of turned on. Maybe you could show me me more of your moves, tonight?"

"CHARNAME, I just wanted to thank you for bringing me into this party. I was having some trouble back there, but somehow things don't seem so bad now, despite all the killing and death that surrounds us. I guess it's, I don't know... easier, being with you. *blush* listen to me, getting all emotional. I guess I just wanted to say... thanks. Thanks CHARNAME, for being in my life. *smiles*"

The writing doesn't have to be maudlin or cheesy, just generally positive, supportive and praiseworthy. Please, try to stay away from negative or complaining banters, that's not what a romance is supposed to be about. Not a good one, anyways.

Comments

• Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94
    Exactly. Small, simple things like this can go a long way to portraying someone who cares about you. GIfts that aren't magical or have gp value, but show affection and consideration. Flowers, an extra portion of food at dinner time, a bottle of your favorite drink, getting your gear ready for you in the morning so you can sleep in a little, etc. It's the thought, the smile, the gesture of positive affection, not constant whining, that builds empathy for your LI.
  • MyvalMyval Member Posts: 127
    I like this idea. It could also help expand a bit of the npc's personalities threw the gifts they give, the romantic gestures that are there. I don't know much about the BGII romances (having never gotten that far with it, aaand usually turning down the advances of any of the characters XD)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    From what has been posted about the new NPCs, the "romance" dialogue in BG1:EE will be primarily friendship-building, laying the groundwork for a more meaningful relationship in BG2.

I like the flowers idea, though. You rest, and a message in the dialog box says, "Charname has gained an item". Then you go into your inventory, look at the item, and when you return to the main screen a dialogue initiates: "Good morning! ...What?" with options of "Did you pick these?" or "Flowers? Really?" or "Uh...Nothing."

That said, I would expect to see some surprises in the new NPCs. These are very different characters from the usual crop.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I posted a couple of moddable characters in the Female-Female Romance thread, and one of them (A scholarly female mage) leaves you little notes to show her affection. A ranger might make a point of offering you the most succulent parts of whatever he's hunted to feed the party, and a Druid might offer some fresh berries he or she found that aren't enough for the party. And you could respond by sharing them with your love interest.
    edited September 2012
    I would also include some metagame humor: set the item to appear in the party leader's inventory, and if the party leader is a character other than the protagonist, trigger a dialogue where the party leader (rather embarrassed) gives the item to the protagonist, a la: "Here...uh, I think this was supposed to go in your pack, not mine." "Why did she give it to you?" "Probably because my pack has the number 1 written on it." "It does?" "Yeah. Not sure why."
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    Your suggestion really resonates with what the Flirt Pack attempted to achieve, that is, giving more of a presence for you lover outside of their lovetalks where they would usually complain about stuff. I cant remember if it was in that mod or in the vanilla game itself, but you could actually buy a cheap locket for Jaheira which she can carry around and smile at whenever she looks at it.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Um... you know that adding that text would involve coding despite what you said, right? Plus the fact that Overhaul is NOT ALLOWED to alter existing characters (except in their interactions with new characters)!

The flirt pack mod does add in a few bonus scenes like this, but for it to be included in the official release is, unfortunately, never going to happen.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @kilroy_was_here All BG1 romances are with the new characters, so the developers can add these banters if they want. You're right about the mod though.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    @Lord_Gay I completely agree with this entire thread. @LadyRhian I totally concur that there should be some nice things to do/talk about, there's very little real bonding in BG2, though I felt that Jaheria's Romance, when it didn't bug out and stop randomly had a lot of development and depth.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I've always felt that "enter, Haer'Dalis!" sounds like a lewd chat-up line.
    @Debaser Just thought of another romantic thing... resting your head in your love's lap while you look at the stars together... and possibly make out. :) If they are a mage or cleric of Selune... they could tell you about the stars. Until they get otherwise... distracted, of course.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Strongly disagree. I don't want bg to turn into some cheesy dating sim. And all the things I've seen listed in this thread so far are extremely cheesy. Now I know it's all a matter of opinions, but that's the point too - what one person thinks is sweet and endearing others will get a little bit of sick in thier mouth -.-

Haven't seen a single suggestion in this thread which doesn't fall into this category for me.
    @ajwz So, why don't you suggest something?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The specifics of what they say is up to the devs obviously, since they're writing it. My focus was just that the banters be positive, not negative. HOW those banters are positive will vary from person to person, but I repeat that negative interactions do not a romance make. Unless perhaps some of you are gluttons for punishment and actually like partners that put you down? "Yes dear." "No dear." "Right away dear." If that's the case then no, we won't agree.

However, to echo Rhian, what sorts of examples would you suggest Ajwz? What tone do you want?
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I think we should go all the way. Make a separate dating sim game! That way everyone's happy, right?

I would play it, would you?
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Shandyr said:

So my question is: Are these love banters an improvement for everyone?

If not they should be optional, i.e. put in a mod.

You can't make everything in game optional and you can find somebody for every single aspect/feature/dialog/line/sound/color/pixel who dislikes it.

If somebody doesn't like positive romance dialog, there are 4 NPCs in BG2 to choose from. Now lets have some more upbeat options too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    As Bercon said, there are already complaining LI for people to choose. Old NPCs can't be altered by Beamdog. This is just for the new NPCs.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I'm sorry, but I just can't see the personalities of any of the romancable NPC's in game ever bringing you a Celene Dion CD. You are on a quest of revenge to gain your soul back. That's just not how romance's work outside of cloud cuckooland.
    Maybe I am speaking from my own male perspective, but I don't want them to just bring me shit like an affectionate puppy. All of the NPC's in the game, including Aerie, who I absolutely can't stand, are still strong enough not to constantly have to seek validation and protection from charname for thier every action, and frankly, the suggestions in the thread make them sound pathetic.
    ajwz said:

I'm sorry, but I just can't see the personalities of any of the romancable NPC's in game ever bringing you a Selune Dion CD. You are on a quest of revenge to gain your soul back. That's just not how romance's work outside of cloud cuckooland.

Fixed! ;)
    Maybe I am speaking from my own male perspective, but I don't want them to just bring me shit like an affectionate puppy. All of the NPC's in the game, including Aerie, who I absolutely can't stand, are still strong enough not to constantly have to seek validation and protection from charname for thier every action, and frankly, the suggestions in the thread make them sound pathetic.
    This makes a bit of sense. These are hardened (or hardening) adventurers we're talking about, here. That's not to say that they can't be romantic, but sitting with heads in each other's laps and staring up at the stars wistfully doesn't really strike a chord with the tone for the rest of the game.

I could see some specific characters doing something specific that isn't just "Oh, are you...I didn't...So sorry, but...Yes, let's...Sorry, did you want to say something?"

Such as Haer'Dalis writing you a sonnet, or Jaheira giving you a poorly made dandelion necklace (because she's not used to being sappy and romantic like that), or Neera giving you a random magic item that appeared after her last wild surge ("Listen...I don't know what it does, so maybe you shouldn't use it until I figure that out, but...happy anniversary!").

But it should also be a singular instance. Too many gifts or "dates" and it starts to feel like a Final Fantasy game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RinpooRinpoo Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2012
    I don't know I personally loved Aerie's romance when I was playing the game. I did not mind that she complained, and as time went on with you giving her support, love, and an example to go by she changed quite a bit. ToB was where she really shined; she felt selfish for complaining through your hardships, and instead became someone who was willing to stand by you. I remember vaguely during one romance banter, Aerie joking about turning someone into a toad for a reason I can't remember. (sorry its been over 10 years!) However what I do remember is how I felt when reading it, and I always felt like my character was holding her close despite the troubles going on, and sharing a happy moment. I think that the original romances weren't all about complaints, but were about the struggles of people put in dire situations. You may be right that romance and love are about wanting them to be in your life and not depressing, but loving someone isn't just about the good times, and good feelings. It's about accepting someones faults and loving them as a whole being. I liked the romances because I was happy to help them feel better, and in turn when I was nearing the end of my journey they were there to reciprocate.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    I'm going to ressurect this thread to add my 2 cents. I wholeheartedly support the idea of the love interest having positive things to say.... however... I don't want to be their pillar anymore. I don't want to offer validation, lay to rest all their fears. It would be a welcome change to have the NPC support me instead of the other way around. Whether it's emotional support or supporting my leadership and decisions I don't care.

@ajwz Not all positive banter would mean an NPC bringing you a Celine Dion CD. :) For example in BG2 when Jaheira was being a stuck-up know-it-all, Mazzy actually defends you and tells her to stop harping because you've been a good leader so far and you seem to know what you're doing. This sort of positive comments I'd like to see.
    I can totally see Dorn (if the PC has earnt his respect or affection) saying something like that. "Charname has proven to be a competent leader. Back down, Jaheira."
    "You are a fool, Anomen, to discount Charname's battle prowess." etc.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I actually really like the Viconia romance as it exists now, so while it would be nice if it ended with a positive epilogue in Throne of Bhaal and continued into a possible Baldur's Gate 3, I don't really want it to be changed from its current form.

That said, I hated the other romance options. Aerie too whiny and downright annoying. Jahiera, was well, too mean to my other party members for me to care for at all so I tended to kick her out early on. During my one playthrough as a female PC I tried the romance with Anomen and found him to be psychotic. I would fully support alteration of the Aerie, Jahiera, or Anomen romances, but the Viconia romance is generally great the way it is.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531

I think we should go all the way. Make a separate dating sim game! That way everyone's happy, right?

I would play it, would you?

That reminds me. I actually re-created Viconia in "The Sims 2" a while back because I wanted to continue the romance plot with her and couldn't find any BG2 mods to do it :)

Maybe there could be selectable options in game for people who wanted the game to go in different directions?