Skip to content

The GameStar review

13»

Comments

• Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    Really? You can't imagine?

Yikes. You can really taste the geocentrism here.

PC gaming is huge in Germany. -HUGE-. It's a bigger deal in Germany than it is in North America, where the focus is almost exclusively on consoles. German and French magazines quite often get "scoops" -- breaking news and review embargoes earlier than their North American and Japanese counterparts.

Oh: and let's not forget Poland. For the past several years, Western Europe has been the center of a "rebirth" of PC game development.

And you're telling me that you can't imagine a scenario where a German magazine was given a beta of a game to review a week before it's release date? That somehow the more plausible explanation is that they, what, slapped on some black ski-caps and pulled a heist on the Beamdog office complex? Really? They broke in, hacked into a computer, risked being imprisoned in a foreign country, all so that they could review a game a few days before it was (then planned to) release?

THAT'S the more plausible scenario in your mind?

Really?

But, hey, maybe it's not. Maybe you're just talking out of your ass. Maybe you just assume they torrented it or something, without realizing that whether or not a game has been leaked on the Internet is a very easy thing to verify (and no, it hasn't). I mean, hell, you may as well accuse them of reviewing the GOG version and passing it off as a new game--god knows plenty of gamers have accused Beamdog of doing just that.

===ANYWAY===

Since everyone seems to be tossing out their own, different "translations" of the article in question, I thought I'd try to lend some clarity to the discussion.

1. It is not (on the website) labeled as a review. Nor is it labelled as a preview. It's simply called an article.

And, uh, I guess I'll translate the whole thing in a different post. To keep things clean.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I didn't accuse anyone with anything. Your imagination is definitely more vivid than mine.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    @Arsene_Lupin even i want to let this thread die you are wrong. They wrote "preview" = vorschau!!!!
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    >Todesritter Sarad
    Is that some other story? Or german translation turned a Bhaalspawn named Sarevok into a deathknight named Sarad?
  • WittandWittand Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2012
    To clear some things up
    On the website it is mostly the preview that was a part of the GameStar issue of September (released in the last week of August).
    The test with the score is in the printed October issue (released on 09.26.12).
    The score is 80 which is a pretty good one (considering that the top 15 RPGs and/or adventure games of the last two years range from 91 to 85). The review also comes with a seven minute long gameplay video (e.g. you get a short clip of Neera vanquishing a red wizard)
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    @Wittand, anywhere to see that video ?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    LMTR14 said:

and my original question still wasn't answered. the original (vanilla) BG had very few if any gamebreaking bugs. bgee allegedly has (had?) plenty. so where did they come from? and are they ironed out yet, beta testers?

One of the biggest planned enhancements is the engine, which has been rewritten to handle features like zoom, reduce loading times to nil, and make the game more mod-friendly. As with any change of this magnitude, additional bugs were inevitable.
  • WittandWittand Member Posts: 54
    @lordkim
    Sadly the only way to see the video legally is to buy the magazine, or subscribe to the website.

But frankly I don´t think that the video is worth the money, since it does not have any new useful information, not even a glimpse at the new cutscenes replacing the old render videos.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    I read the reader comments on the GameStar page, and was pleased to find quite some anticipatory drooling going on there. However, information is sparse. Could someone fluent in German perhaps give those people some very brief and basic facts about BGEE (like added content, new supported resolution, cross-platform compatibility, pre-order possibility, improved multiplayer, cooperation with modders, upcoming German translation, etc.) and refer them to this forum and the project homepage for details? I would rather not maltreat the German language myself.
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    Everything is written in the article, so why?
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    Zwiebelchen, you are quite right, of course. I was being sloppy on one hand and overzealous on the other. I also didn't notice the article from 15.09.2012 providing further details. On the other hand, most of the commentators seemed not to have absorbed much of that information either. But never mind. Forget it. I'll just... go and stand... over there... for a while... in silence. Look, a squirrel! :-)
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    Jalily said:

LMTR14 said:

and my original question still wasn't answered. the original (vanilla) BG had very few if any gamebreaking bugs. bgee allegedly has (had?) plenty. so where did they come from? and are they ironed out yet, beta testers?

One of the biggest planned enhancements is the engine, which has been rewritten to handle features like zoom, reduce loading times to nil, and make the game more mod-friendly. As with any change of this magnitude, additional bugs were inevitable.
    tx. didn't know about the zoom feature (wonder how it plays out)