Skip to content

The GameStar review

LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
the German magazine included a test of a beta version in their most recent magazine

they stated that the new areas are basically stale and carelessly designed and that the game is still very buggy, even crashing frequently

I'm really not a big fan of that magazine (they still gave the game an 80% rating though) but does anybody have inside information on whether their claims are justified?

Comments

• LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    btw is there really no way to edit your posts...

the original game got an 89% back when it came out (the Gamestar mag was also much much better back then)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Hmm... there does indeed seem to be some kind of review at http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/artikel/baldurs_gate_enhanced_edition,47916,3005067.html - the beta is being passed around for reviewing?
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Some new screens there as well :-)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2012
    2 new screenshots... the right-bottom gold borderline is fixed, though the dropped items seem out of place.

If the beta is being passed around, why to a German magazine and not an English one?
    LMTR14 said:

btw is there really no way to edit your posts...

At the upper right corner of your post there is a gear wheel button, there you can edit your post...

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I have my doubts that Overhaul sent out the beta for reviewing...
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    someone f****** up their NDA
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    @Jorkan you forget WW1
  • MerrettMerrett Member Posts: 8
    And the partitions of Poland in 18th century.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Tanthalas Yeah...I'm not convinced that's legit.

Maybe they got some advance screenshots. But you'd think they would show something other than the main game screen...
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    It also says Multiplayer now has a "matchmaking" function.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I really really REALLY hope that google translate fucked up it's syntax, because I did NOT just read the following phrase at the bottom of page 1:
    "the spiritual successor to Dragon Age: Origins"
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    ajwz said:

I really really REALLY hope that google translate fucked up it's syntax, because I did NOT just read the following phrase at the bottom of page 1:
    "the spiritual successor to Dragon Age: Origins"

lol if I'm not mistaken the translation should be: "as in the spiritual successor..."
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The full (google translated) sentence is "Similar to the spiritual successor to Dragon Age: Origins."

I think it's a mistranslation of the preposition "to", which should probably be "of" or "in".
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ajwz said:

I certainly hope so -_-
    Hopefully I wont have to do this:

Why is there no love button?...I will love this anyway...I will love it until the song is sung.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Shandyr said:

Google Translator doesnt work 100% accurately (sometimes not even half of it imho...).

Considering that this is the translation of the last paragraph:
    GameStar said:

Of course, we meet on our journey to a lot of enemies, and even if Baldur's Gate reminds at first glance at Diablo, then the tactical battles make considerably. Similar to the spiritual successor to Dragon Age: Origins and we should be able to pause the fighting to our heroes to position according to their abilities and classes tactically and magic attacks and the like to prepare.

I'd say your opinion of it not being 100% is very well founded, since this paragraph is almost unintelligible. Although, having said that, I generally don't have too much problem with it (this is the first time I've had this much problem with it).

Still, I'm dubious about them reviewing the beta. But given their main problem is that this game is still using an old engine, I'm not in the least bit worried. I liked the Infinity engine.
    edited September 2012
    Jorkan said:

Why the fuck would someone review a beta?

to be fair they did include a note that the game was believed to be completed and the review was written before the release date delay. this should clear up things
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I guess they just wanted to be the first ones on the case and made a review which is most probably fake? Too bad most of the planet doesn't understand German anyway >.<

Can someone from the devteam confirm or deny this? :/
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    How could they believe the game to be complete? Overhaul would never have told them that...
    the article calls DO:A the spiritual successor to BG

(which of course is total nonsense, DO:A is a crossbreed of WoW and KOTOR with extremely limited roleplaying - if I had a $ for every time DO:A didn't let me do something I wanted to do - like killing people, evil solutions to quests, NOT BECOMING A FUCKING WARDEN etc. - I'd be swimming in money; in the older Bioware games you had all kinds of evil actions available)
    edited September 2012

How could they believe the game to be complete? Overhaul would never have told them that...

of course they did, like I explained above. the old release date was September, the review was written with that in mind. the review is 100% genuine, obviously (but reviewing the beta)
    btw editing your posts does not work. at all
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @TrentOster if you hadn't noticed this yet :-)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    LMTR14 said:

btw editing your posts does not work. at all

One of your posts says that you edited it.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited September 2012
    i understand german but i dont bother translating something where we dont know how legit this review realy is. This review does not help Overhaul to promote an Enhanced Edition of BG to me even the review is relatively positive and they think it will sale well.

But one thing i dont get is that they compare BGEE to diablo and right away how the battles are more tactically as diabo and more like DAO...

Well, i think the review suxs!