Skip to content

[MOD] Point Buy mod for BG:EE 1, 2 and SoD V1

MoonWolfMoonWolf Member Posts: 23
edited April 2016 in UI Modding
Rolling for stats was never very entertaining or interesting. Autorolling feels like I might as well just use the Maximum Abilities cheat manually. Luckily this whole problem has been solved long long ago.

AD&D 2nd edition does not have an official codified pointbuy system. This mod simply sets you up with a fixed Total Roll instead, letting you spend your points as you are already used to in BG.

This mod adds a button to the Abilities stage of character generation that lets you skip rolling for stats and simply gives you a fixed roll with the points already freed up to spend as desired. Pressing the Point Buy button will cycle through preset Total Roll values of 75, 80, 85 and 90. It starts at 85 since this is the rough number I'm personally aiming for when rolling for stats.

The mod is only an addition and you can still use the old systems if you feel like it. It should work for any custom races, classes or kits.

Since it modifies the same files as any other UI mods it will conflict with SoD Widescreen GUI Tweaks and likely any other UI mods.

It can be manually added to the UI.menu file, instructions for this can be found on Github: https://github.com/Xesyto/BG-EE-Point-Buy/blob/master/SoD/README.md

Screenshots:

Download:

All versions are included in this .zip: https://github.com/Xesyto/BG-EE-Point-Buy/releases/tag/1

Comments

• illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    This is pretty cool!
  • HalfwiseHalfwise Member Posts: 78
    edited April 2016
    Nice! May have to use this for my sanity. Though I always liked the rolling more than point-buy.

I figured that if I put in the grueling hours to roll 2000-3000 times, staying focused enough to not accidentally roll over a good one, and get my 92-93 points... I earned them, and therefore it's not cheating! :)
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    Amazing mod. I'm definitely gonna use this for my next run!
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Thank you for this, with a bit of patience I was able to turn it into the scaling Point Buy system used by later editions.