Skip to content

I was going to start a new game after 2 years off, but...

The new graphics are horrible and there is no way to change them, what is going on? I actually liked the pre patch graphics more.

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    It looks like cartoonish and card-board pasted on the background, glaringly. Not everybody's cup of tea. Luckily, you can turn it off from options and it will look just as before.
    Menus, spellbooks and scroll tabs will still look worse, though.
  • TrudeauIsSantaTrudeauIsSanta Member Posts: 161
    You can turn it off. And I like them on. I had to rollback to 1.3 for a while and it was a lot harder to follow combat when zoomed out with the outlines off. Sprite outlines and the Advanced AI scripts are a godsend for this game.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    It's kinda puzzling how small things like this can prevent people from enjoying the game nowadays. I recall the times when I first played BG and boy, had small things like that could scare me off, I would miss out a really great game series.

Anyways, as others mentioned - you can turn the sprite outlines. You just have to restart the game for them to take effect. And about UI - I think the SoD one is beautiful. But that's matter of taste, I guess.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

You can turn it off. And I like them on. I had to rollback to 1.3 for a while and it was a lot harder to follow combat when zoomed out with the outlines off. Sprite outlines and the Advanced AI scripts are a godsend for this game.

Does zooming out really help you though? You can only see things within your characters field of view anyway?

Still, I, like others, find the outlines quite nice, but for me, it's because of my colorblindness and the outlines (plus the highlighting) makes people easier to see.
  • Francois42424Francois42424 Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2016
    Khoryace said:

The new graphics are horrible and there is no way to change them, what is going on? I actually liked the pre patch graphics more.

lunar said:

It looks like cartoonish and card-board pasted on the background, glaringly. Not everybody's cup of tea. Luckily, you can turn it off from options and it will look just as before.
    Menus, spellbooks and scroll tabs will still look worse, though.

This was me, week and a half ago. My post is still on the main page. This discussion is proof enough that the new cartoonish/cardboard pasting + outlines and new menu should all be togglable from the game settings in ONE click. I very seriously think this would be the best of both world, and please all of us.

@Khoryace You have 2 possibilities to have the "Old way" back. Both involve using version 1.3. If you got the game via steam, you are in luck and be ready to play in a few minutes. Here are the steps to revert:

1) Open Steam.
    2) Right click on Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.
    3) Select Betas.
    4) Select bgee_1.3-.
    ( No need to put-in codes/passwords or anything... then re-download the game. It works. )

If you did NOT purchase with steam, you'll need to send an e-mail to the game's support. To maximize the efficiency and quick resolution, just state that you tried version 2.1, you do not like it because reasons you stated, and you learnt on the forum you could revert to version 1.3 to get the classic feel back. You *need* to ask them that you officially request a Steam Key for you to do your revert to 1.3 (if not you'll need to reply to their email to re-ask for it specifically, which will take 3-4 more days... which happened to me). Also make sure to write that you purchased the game 2 years ago from say, the BeamDog's website (or wherever you got it from). With the key you will get from support, you can then activate/download it from steam.

I did the revert, and apart from no longer able to switch from bow to dual-wield(or shield) and Brage not teleporting party to Nashkel after sparing him I have encountered Zero bugs/crashes.

Good Luck !

- - - - -
    As for me, I didn't mind the new menus (much), but the new character display, even without outlines, felt wrong and it did not sit with me at all. Hence me reverting.
    Post edited by Francois42424 on
  • KhoryaceKhoryace Member Posts: 79
    edited April 2016
    Thanks I didnt know the option name. Also Thx Francois, great post.
  • QuiqueQuique Member Posts: 62
    edited April 2016

This was me, week and a half ago. My post is still on the main page. This discussion is proof enough that the new cartoonish/cardboard pasting + outlines and new menu should all be togglable from the game settings in ONE click. I very seriously think this would be the best of both world, and please all of us.

This discussion proves that the thread title was poorly chosen. It's unespecific and misleading and I've found myself clicking into it every couple of days thinking that a hardcore fan either needs help or had a peronal mishap. If the title were "The new graphics are horrible and there is no way to change them", I would skip it without giving it a second thought.

Since everyone that is unhappy with the tweaks has already been satiated with a way to go back to 1.3 and made their case that they don't like the changes, can we close it? Or at least change the title @Khoryace, please?
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    @Quique I totally agree, and i want to ask if it's possible to create a specific and clear thread tagged as Announcement that will keep the information for roll back and/or change graphics.
    This for prevent that everyday somebody start a new thread for asking the same things and people that have enough of these kind of discussions can avoid them without misunderstandings
  • QuiqueQuique Member Posts: 62
    @Daevelon, there is a "Get your Steam Keys" Announcement but it's in the SOD section. Maybe a similar one could be on the BGEE one. Maybe a "Getting your Steam Keys / How do I go bak to 1.3" thread?
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    @Quique and in bg2 section too, just opened and without searching deeply i found 3 topics like this in the first page. I understand that some people hate the changes of 2.0/2.1 so it would be better to redirect them to the same thread and close all the others.
    Since this (hoping that it will be done) i ask gently to people to not use misleading titles.