Skip to content

SPOILER: The new Bhaal-story in BG:EE...

SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
OK - we know that it will be a new Bhaal-story in BG:EE. So the question is - what is the story about?
I, personally, think that Dorn is a Bhaalspawn (and yes, I was laughed at when I presented that idea in another thread about Dorn).

What do you think that the new Bhaal-story is?

Comments

• salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    edited September 2012
    I'm not questioning that this is true, but how do we know this? It will have to be either very subtle or appear right at the end or else it will spoil the main plot.

I think it there were a second npc bhaalspawn and their story were told in BG1, it would totally trivialise all the Imoen stuff in BG2. If this is happening, we mght find out more about the PC's own origins - who their mother is, etc.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Perhaps one of the new NPC's quests leads to a conflict with a Bhaalspawn?
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644

I, personally, think that Dorn is a Bhaalspawn...

Interesting theory considered his background that was posted on the BG:EE website and his class. Certainly might be a fit.

• AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416

OK - we know that it will be a new Bhaal-story in BG:EE. So the question is - what is the story about?
    I, personally, think that Dorn is a Bhaalspawn (and yes, I was laughed at when I presented that idea in another thread about Dorn).

I feel like I missed an extremely important memo. I thought Overhaul Games promised to "leave the game untouched." Adding a new Bhaalspawn to the Bhaalspawn story is most certainly NOT leaving the game untouched. Could you provide a link to information posted or stated by an Overhaul Games development team member stating that the Bhaalspawn story is being willfully tampered with via the addition of a Bhaalspawn?

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think I missed the memo too. You'd think that I'd be (one of) the first to know!

I don't believe this is true.

Unless... Oh, is this because of that (completely truthful and not at all ironic in tone) post I made a while ago about how they were going to make Bhaal a joinable NPC? :D
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Anduine said:

I feel like I missed an extremely important memo. I thought Overhaul Games promised to "leave the game untouched." Adding a new Bhaalspawn to the Bhaalspawn story is most certainly NOT leaving the game untouched. Could you provide a link to information posted or stated by an Overhaul Games development team member stating that the Bhaalspawn story is being willfully tampered with via the addition of a Bhaalspawn?

Search the forums for "Adventure Y". Whatever it is, it is leaving the game untouched in the same way that adding Dorn, Neera, and Rasaad does. Adding new stuff. Not changing what is already there.
    Arcalian said:

Anduine said:

Search the forums for "Adventure Y". Whatever it is, it is leaving the game untouched in the same way that adding Dorn, Neera, and Rasaad does. Adding new stuff. Not changing what is already there.

How can it leave the game untouched if it adds a Bhaalspawn?
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Anduine said:

Trent Oster: "Adventure Y is an optional storyline piece in the Bhallspawn series."

I interpretate that as a new story within the Bhaalspawn-storyarch.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Nobody's saying it actually adds a Bhaalspawn, that was just someone's guess.
    Thats my guess. And my guess is Dorn.
    And I think (or rather hope) that it will continue into BGII:EE.

I know this is pure speculation - but it would be cool! :-)
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    salieri said:

This. Assuming that one of the new joinable npcs is a Bhaalspawn would be weird and I can't imagine the developers to do something strange and inconsiderate as that. It would mess up the main storyline as the NPC would have to be taken along in the group by canon so that by the end of TOB everything works out correctly.

I assume they add a new quest that is related to the bhaalspawn story and Charname. Which would be cool, really, as I always felt that the bhaalspawn story didn't get enough attention in BG1.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2012
    Dorn couldn't be. He knew both his parents. If they do do this however, I think that it would be Rasaad since he is an orphan.
    GemHound said:

Dorn couldn't be. He knew both his parents. If they do do this however, I think that it would be Rasaad since he is an orphan.

Is is possible that Bhaal took the form av Dorns father and made his mother pregnant or that the orc that Dorn think is his father is in fact is stepfather.

Possibly.

salieri said:

This. Assuming that one of the new joinable npcs is a Bhaalspawn would be weird and I can't imagine the developers to do something strange and inconsiderate as that. It would mess up the main storyline as the NPC would have to be taken along in the group by canon so that by the end of TOB everything works out correctly.

I assume they add a new quest that is related to the bhaalspawn story and Charname. Which would be cool, really, as I always felt that the bhaalspawn story didn't get enough attention in BG1.
    Dorn could, for example, die like Khalid and Dynaheir between BG and BGII. Irenicus maybe tried his soulsnatching skills on him first and failed. It is not hard to think of many different solutions if you think of it...

I'm not saying that Dorn must be a Bhaalspawn. I think it os very possible. Thats all.
    Ah, there we go. The addition of a Bhaalspawn is mere speculation, and the content is OPTIONAL, thus confirming that Overhaul Games will be keeping their promise of not tampering with the original game.
    Anduine said:

Ah, there we go. The addition of a Bhaalspawn is mere speculation, and the content is OPTIONAL, thus confirming that Overhaul Games will be keeping their promise of not tampering with the original game.

...and Dorn is optional to take with you. ;-)
    But back to the subject:

What do YOU think that the new subplot of the Bhaalspawn-story is?

Anduine said:

...and Dorn is optional to take with you. ;-)
    Oh, I imagine I will be ending his life of tyranny and evil if I should meet him in my travels. I cannot imagine he would mix well with a party of NG-LG evil hunters lead by a zealous crusading Paladin of Tyr.

• Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Part of me wants this new "Adventure Y" to take place after Sarevoks death as an inbetween adventure between BG1 and 2.

No confirmation that another bhaalspawn will be present in this new adventure, but it is an addition to the bhaalspawn story line.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    mah gawsh guys, people don't have to be Bhaalspawn to be cool or anything.

If anything, ToB proved that it was quite the opposite ...
    edited October 2012

GemHound said:

Is is possible that Bhaal took the form av Dorns father and made his mother pregnant or that the orc that Dorn think is his father is in fact is stepfather.

Possibly.

Then how should Dorn have become an Half-Orc? If his mother is human (see backstory) and his father is Bhaal, he should be a pure human aswell, as Bhaal doesn't contribute to the DNA (hence why half-breeds can be bhaalspawn in the lore).

GemHound said:

Possibly.

Then how should Dorn have become an Half-Orc? If his mother is human (see backstory) and his father is Bhaal, he should be a pure human aswell, as Bhaal doesn't contribute to the DNA (hence why half-breeds can be bhaalspawn in the lore).
    Bhaal could take the form of an Orc or whatever he wanted to.
    How else could there be Giants (not half-giants), Drows and so on that are Bhaalspawns?

...and your PC can be a dwarf (not half-dwarf), elf, gnome and more.
    "Pureblood"-species that are not human and still have Bhaal as the father.
    That's what I said; bhaal obviously doesn't contribute to the DNA. So if your mother is half-elf, you are half-elf aswell. If she is pure elf, then you are pure elf, etc..

However, in this case, the mother is clearly human, whereas Dorn is half-orc. Meaning that the father can not be bhaal by definition.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited October 2012
    Per canon, Bhaal could assume any form.

Dorn's short story/vignette identifies his father as an orc from a tribe in the Spine of the World mountains, and mother as a human, taken by the father as a slave.

I suppose it's possible that mother could have had a secret tryst with Bhaal, who took the form of an orc. And if so, Dorn doesn't know he is a bastard (in the literal sense) at the age of 12. Perhaps only mother knew...

But my guess is that this scenario is rather unlikely.

I think it more likely that the quest of one of the new NPCs involves a new Bhaalspawn in some way.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    No, there's no way of telling whether Bhaal provides "DNA" when shapeshifted as the game doesn't think it's relevant. I see absolutely no reason why one wouldn't assume that (provided the impregnation was physical and not spiritual in nature) a Bhaal-Orc and a human wouldn't produce a half-orc. I believe you might be applying the explanation for the PC's mother (she is always of the same race as the PC, and Bhaal also took that race when making CHARNAME) to all Bhaalspawn.
    edited October 2012
    Well, we know that Bhaal had "physical contact" with the particular mothers (at least this is what your mother says in ToB: "Bhaal came to me that night" ... I guess it was this wording, not 100% sure though) as whatever avatar form he wanted.
    But I agree, it IS possible that bhaal contributes the shapeshifted DNA and that Dorns mother would have "cheated on his father" with a god (can that actually be called cheating? ;) )...

But seriously, this is very unlikely, isn't it? None of the joinable npcs is a bhaalspawn, except for Imoen, so why make an exception now? It wouldn't make sense and in my oppinion even break the immersion.
    Also, why would Bhaal breed with an ordinary human slave? All of the other children of bhaal had something unique to them (well, we don't know much about the dead bhaalspawn in Saradush, but one could assume it). The mother of Charname and Sarevok, for example, was a cleric of Bhaal...
    Now that I think about it: I wish we could get some information of Imoen's mother. Unlike the mother of Charname, she was never mentioned in the game, not even by Imoen herself and she doesn't even care about it.
    Agree. I think it is only natural to asume that Bhaals "DNA" comes from whatever form/avatar he took as shape.
    If he was an orc - then the child will have Orc-features (fullblood orc if the mother was an orc and half-orc if the mother was human). If he was human - the child would have human features. And so on.

Well, we know that Bhaal had "physical contact" with the particular mothers (at least this is what your mother says in ToB: "Bhaal came to me that night" ... I guess it was this wording, not 100% sure though) as whatever avatar form he wanted.
    But I agree, it IS possible that bhaal contributes the shapeshifted DNA and that Dorns mother would have "cheated on his father" with a god (can that actually be called cheating? ;) )...

But seriously, this is very unlikely, isn't it? None of the joinable npcs is a bhaalspawn, except for Imoen, so why make an exception now? It wouldn't make sense and in my oppinion even break the immersion.

Just a thought. It's pure speculation from my part.
    I think it could turn into an interesting twist when you meet Gromnir.

And both Imoen and Sarevok are Bhaalspawns (the later is rather an ex-Bhaalspawn when he can join, but still...)

But this is my thought about the new Bhaalspawn-story.

Whats yours?