Skip to content

SPOILER: The new Bhaal-story in BG:EE...

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

But seriously, this is very unlikely, isn't it? None of the joinable npcs is a bhaalspawn, except for Imoen, so why make an exception now? It wouldn't make sense and in my oppinion even break the immersion.

Well, I don't personally agree about Dorn being a Bhaalspawn, I find that unlikely as well. I was just arguing the metaphysics (or perhaps that would be metabiologics?) in general.

Also, why would Bhaal breed with an ordinary human slave? All of the other children of bhaal had something unique to them (well, we don't know much about the dead bhaalspawn in Saradush, but one could assume it).

Hehe, dude, the bloke bred with chinchillas and kobolds as well. It was clearly more of a "every opportunity that presents itself" kind of deal, as long as his offspring was spread out a bit :P
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    edited October 2012
    scriver said:

Hehe, dude, the bloke bred with chinchillas and kobolds as well. It was clearly more of a "every opportunity that presents itself" kind of deal, as long as his offspring was spread out a bit :P

Hmm... or he was just a pervert to the extremes...

Damn, this thread made me realize that I want to know more about Imoen's backstory and especially who is her mother. Come on, @Trent, we wanna know ;)
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    And the PC:s mother.

In BG she was the lover of Gorion. In BGII - ToB is seems that she was a priestess of Bhaal (if I dont remember wrong) and that Gorion just run in to the sacrificial rite when the PC, Sarevok and other Bhaalspawns should die.

Just I who see a contradiction here?
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615

In BG she was the lover of Gorion. In BGII - ToB is seems that she was a priestess of Bhaal (if I dont remember wrong) and that Gorion just run in to the sacrificial rite when the PC, Sarevok and other Bhaalspawns should die.

Wait, where was it mentioned in BG1 that CHARNAMES mother was Gorions lover?
    I believe it's mentioned in the letters you can find in Gorion's "office" when you return to Candlekeep. It's on the top floor, and hard to get to, I believe you have to avoid both Koveras and the other dudes to get there.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @Zwiebelchen
    Haha, I don't @Trent is who you think it is, unless you're expecting some random guy who hasn't been active for months to have all the answers...

Wait, where was it mentioned in BG1 that CHARNAMES mother was Gorions lover?
    Yep. As @scriver said Gorion wrote that he and the PC:s mother where lovers in a letter that can be found in Gorions old room in one of the highest floors in Candleceep. (can't remember witch floor though)

• ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    It's a retcon, man. Happens all the time.
    Boo dosen't like that. Not at all.

And neither do I.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    This topic is a great big dose of assumptions and wishful thinking wrapped up in a spoiler tag to attempt to add credibility.
    Arcalian said:

It's a retcon, man. Happens all the time.

Personally I prefer the idea that both of the stories are true. It's not like they are really contradict each other, anyway, I don't see why Gorion wouldn't have been able to fall in love with a cleric of Bhaal.

• Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256

yes, I was laughed at when I presented that idea in another thread about Dorn

If you're planning to keep doing it, get used to disappointment.

You pulled out of "nowhere" some imaginary "totally official" news, and then you reached deeper into "nowhere" and pulled out an even more random and baseless theory.

PS: Il-Khan IS NOT Bhaal's surname. =_=
    It's an orcish family / clan that both Dorn and Gromnir are part of / descend from.
    End of story.

• ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    I would prefer stories remained constant also. But whatever I or anyone else would like, retcons are a fact.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    If Dorn were a Bhaalspawn originally, but died and was brought back to life, then according to Bhaalspawn rules he's disqualified from the race at that point. Technically they could shoehorn it in that way.

Still, I think we're getting to far into this. There are many *new* directions a side story could take without hacking up the storyline to fit a new Child in there. Besides, what if you didn't have Dorn with you? What if you recruited him and now he hates you and left? What if he's dead (whether you killed him or not)? Would any of these things lock you out of 'Adventure Y'? Unless they want to go the 'Valgyar's body' route again I don't see how it could work, and even that wouldn't be original since it's been done already.
  • GrayvieGrayvie Member Posts: 49
    @SamuelVarg:
    Like I said before you are basing all your theories on thin air.

You twist the words to your own liking. Bhallspawn series - means the entirety of BG1 and BG2. Not the bhaalspawn plot of the games. It even says that adventure Y would be an optional storyline to bhaalspawn series which ironically means that it will not focus on the main subplot.

Not to mention that the main idea of BG1 was a conflict between you and Sarevok as the only two known bhaalspawn in a region.

There is absolutly no indication or any kind of hint that Dorn is Bhaalspawn exept the fact that he is evil.

Saying Dorn is a bhaalspawn is just like saying that Neera is Xan's half sister.
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    Grayvie said:

@SamuelVarg:

You twist the words to your own liking. Bhallspawn series - means the entirety of BG1 and BG2. Not the bhaalspawn plot of the games. It even says that adventure Y would be an optional storyline to bhaalspawn series which ironically means that it will not focus on the main subplot.

Not to mention that the main idea of BG1 was a conflict between you and Sarevok as the only two known bhaalspawn in a region.

There is absolutly no indication or any kind of hint that Dorn is Bhaalspawn exept the fact that he is evil.

Saying Dorn is a bhaalspawn is just like saying that Neera is Xan's half sister.

So much this.

Most of above posts are desperate attempts to somehow force Dorn to be a Bhaalspawn. But this "Adventure Y" won't have anything to do with anyone else being a Bhaalspawn. "The Bhaalspawn series" is just another name for the Baldur's Gate Series in general...

Grayvie said:

@SamuelVarg:

So much this.

Most of above posts are desperate attempts to somehow force Dorn to be a Bhaalspawn. But this "Adventure Y" won't have anything to do with anyone else being a Bhaalspawn. "The Bhaalspawn series" is just another name for the Baldur's Gate Series in general...

I don't say that this is the only option for the Bhaalspawn-story. It is just my own thoughts. I don't claim this to be true. But I think that Dorn will have a connection to Gromnir. And he was a Bhaalspawn. We will see. I could be wrong.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

Grayvie said:

@SamuelVarg:

So much this.

I totally agree.

As understand it:

Adventure X - Stand Alone adventure

Adventure Y - An adventure that is integrated with the main game and not part of the 3 NPCs personal quests. It might be related to the main plot - it might be not - like an expansion ( My speculation is Dragonspear Castle based on John Gallagher concept art )

I still want to hear your theories for the new Bhaalspawn-story instead of complain over mine. ;-)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    BTW, Another Trent Oster tweet from 12th May regarding Adventure Y:
    Tweeter said:

12 May Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

Adventure X is going to be standalone. Keep your ears peeled for Adventure Y, which is intimately linked to the Bhallspawn storyline.

• secretfiresecretfire Member Posts: 63
    edited October 2012
    I personally just assumed from the get-go that -all- of the new companions would turn out to be bhaalspawn, since that would allow Overhaul the most freedom in terms of what they would be allowed to do. Since there are, apparently, very strict rules on what they can and cannot put in regarding 'new' content, as opposed to not being able to modify old, I just assumed that would give them the most freedom later on, when they got to Irenicus and Throne of Bhaal. Or heck, even in expanding the ending of BG. Which, you have to admit, kinda sucks. Not so much as originally done, but in light of BG2.... though thats more a case of Chateau Irenicus sucking then anything else.

Alternatively, something fleshing out the 'Bhaalspawn' saga set between BG 1 and BG 2, to make the transition smoother.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Secretfire If they are all Bhaalspawn, why doesn't Irenicus imprison them as well? (and I mean in-game storywise, not because Beamdog is unable to make changes like that)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2012
    Grayvie said:

That would explain Xan`s view in the world :)

I can imagine what he would say when meeting her.

Xan: "What are YOU doing here? Don't cast a spell! We're all doomed" :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    If Dorn were a bhaalspawn, then I'd like to see Sarevok kill him just for fun!
    Another thought from me is that the new story is after the battle with Sarevok and is about how you get captured by Irenicus. It sure would be cool!
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Grayvie said:

@SamuelVarg:

This needs fanart.
    Someone draw it, now.

• IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001

Grayvie said:

@SamuelVarg:

This needs fanart.
    Someone draw it, now.

No U!
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    Trent's tweet only means that Y is part of the main game unlike the Black Pits for example. It could be a side quest completely unrelated to any of the bhaalspawn stuff. There is 0 indication that it has anything to do with bhaal or his spawn.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Anduine said:

How can it leave the game untouched if it adds a Bhaalspawn?

I know this is all speculation, but IF the game adds a Bhaalspawn, I don't think that in itself necessary alters the storyline, since there are already other Bhaalspawn running around. In fact, by the time of TOB, it seems like Bhaalspawn are everywhere.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Dorn's mother is human. Humans can't be part of the Il-Khan ORC tribe. If Bhaal was Dorn's father, Dorn simply could not have one single right to call himself Il-Khan, making his relation to Gromnir just as much important as it is between Gromnir, the PC or Yaga Shura.
    Where's the fun in that?

Besides, if he was a Bhaalspawn, alive, and powerful as he is... why the heck would Irenicus want Imoen instead of him? Nah, I don't think he's a Bhaalspawn. Maybe his father is the brother to Gromnir's mother, which would also be quite impacting story-wise, making Gromnir (a character created by a forum member no less) more important then a simple stage boss.