Skip to content

"original game remains untouched"

QD5555QD5555 Member Posts: 13
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
anyone else find this very disappointing?

in my younger years i already played through BG2 like... 20 times probably. i dont think higher resolution is going to cut it for me.

Add new kits, new items, harder battles, new quests, etc please.

The rules needed major balancing too. bards suck for example, time stop fighter mages were very overpowered.

You have Dragon Age Origins to compete with. So live up to the name please, overhaul it.

Comments

• ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    There is a new kit (Blackguard), and a new quest for each of the 3 new NPCs.

They can ADD stuff. They just can't change what's already there. If they could, they probably would. So it's WOTC/Atari you need to talk to.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    edited October 2012
    QD5555 said:

No, original content should remain untouched.
    QD5555 said:

in my younger years i already played through BG2 like... 20 times probably. i dont think higher resolution is going to cut it for me.

Graphics will be as sharp as lost original assets allow; There will also be a nice zoom feature. All of this of course optimised for modern PCs.
    QD5555 said:

There is a new kit, the blackguard. There are new quests for the new characters and an arena which will offer tough battles. There was also talk of another standalone adventure but we've heard nothing more since the original Trent tweet.
    QD5555 said:

The rules needed major balancing too. bards suck for example, time stop fighter mages were very overpowered.

I believe they're looking to do a bit of balancing, new mages being a bit stronger for example.
    QD5555 said:

You have Dragon Age Origins to compete with. So live up to the name please, overhaul it.

You disappoint me sir.

• AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    edited October 2012
    QD5555 said:

I am the exact opposite of disappointed, and as a matter of fact, if the original game were not untouched, I would not be preordering this for my friends or myself, and I'd likely never play it. Do not touch the Holy Grail. Do not paint on the Mona Lisa.

Compete with Dragon Age Origins? Ha! HAHA! HA!! Says the mantis to the flea looking up at him.
  • QD5555QD5555 Member Posts: 13
    Arcalian said:

They can ADD stuff. They just can't change what's already there. If they could, they probably would. So it's WOTC/Atari you need to talk to.

that's too bad. i think i will wait for BG3 or dragonage 3 then.

i dont know how many bugs/quests they can fix if any. BG2 was already a very polished game. im not really convinced this enhanced edition will make the game worth playing through again. im 27 now... i think i would play for a few hours, get a bit of nostalgia then quit. I was really looking forward to big full overhaul.. oh well.

they should take all of BG1 BG2 and TOB and convert it all over to Dragon Age Origins engine/mechanics/graphics. Add kits, Add new classes, Add Epic new quests and battles. Now that would be something to see. i would pay 100 bucks for that. lol

ehhh why arnt they overhauling BG2?

BG1 wasnt even that good. i can only kill so many kobolts and ogres before i get bored. the game ends at level 9, enough said.

BG2 blew it away.

and dont diss origins, the story is not as good and the game isnt as long BUT Origins combat system took classic BG combat and made it modern. Origins combat was AMAZING.
    edited October 2012
    Anduine said:

Do not touch the Holy Grail. Do not paint on the Mona Lisa.

you could probably make that arguement about pacman. it doesnt mean i want to play that old game. are we going to move forward and progress or are we going to stand still?

• AshendilAshendil Member Posts: 56
    QD5555 said:

That is just laughable.
    maybe you played origins on the xbox maybe youre thinking of dragon age 2.

origins on the PC with the difficulty maxed was alot of fun.
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    @QD5555

If they take the Dragon Age Origins engine, mechanics and graphics and combine it with the story of Baldur's Gate, what do you think you are going to get from the two options listed below:

Dragon Age Origins: Baldur's Gate Mod

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
  • AshendilAshendil Member Posts: 56
    QD5555 said:

Arcalian said:

that's too bad. i think i will wait for BG3 or dragonage 3 then.

i dont know how many bugs/quests they can fix if any. BG2 was already a very polished game. im not really convinced this enhanced edition will make the game worth playing through again. im 27 now... i think i would play for a few hours, get a bit of nostalgia then quit. I was really looking forward to big full overhaul.. oh well.

they should take all of BG1 BG2 and TOB and convert it all over to Dragon Age Origins engine/mechanics/graphics. Add kits, Add new classes, Add Epic new quests and battles. Now that would be something to see. i would pay 100 bucks for that. lol

Okay, this now is just completely ridiculous. Stop trolling around.
    QD5555 said:

BG1 wasnt even that good. i can only kill so many kobolts and ogres before i get bored. the game ends at level 9, enough said.

BG2 blew it away.

and dont diss origins, the story is not as good and the game isnt as long BUT Origins combat system took classic BG combat and made it modern. Origins combat was AMAZING.

I'm not sure exactly why you feel that Baldur's Gate 1 "wasn't even that good." I faced a fair amount of enemies, and was entertained from Day 1 to "Final". However, looking at your comment about Level 9, it would appear that your opinion on games is mostly or completely related to the power of your character(s)? You do not enjoy Magic Missiles, Fireballs, tactical positioning to help compensate for a difficult fight and/or lack of magical equipment? Would you rather run around spamming Hellballs, wielding +5 (or higher) dancing greatswords?

I may have poked fun at Origins, but I did state that I played and even enjoyed the entire series. However, I also stated that obvious by saying it is not by any means the be-all end-all of RPGs that I and others hold Baldur's Gate to be. Making something modern and doing it correctly is an arduous task, and I respect that difficulty of it, but just because it can be done does not necessarily mean that it should be.

I think we are on different pages in that you look at the combat and gear of the games, perhaps not being fond of the lore or RPing? One of the big points of Baldur's Gate is the RPG aspect to it, which many gamers today care nothing for. They (Speaking in general terms here) are more fond of hack n slash beat 'em ups, skipping content and ignoring conversations because they are "boring" or "dumb" or "geeky".

A shame, but I cannot change the world, and I'm not sure I would if I were able. I enjoy both series, but there can only be one Holy Grail, and I've been playing it for over a decade.

• NightfallRobNightfallRob Member Posts: 43
    edited October 2012
    This game appeals to most of us (I think) largely because it is untouched, with the additions being only through the new NPCs. If they were actively revising it I'm not sure I'd want to play it, and I definitely would wait for player reviews before I bought it. I absolutely would not have pre-ordered it, given the way a lot of video game companies have been treating their customers lately.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    QD5555 said:

BG2 blew it away.

It's in the works. You don't remake BG2 without remaking BG1 first. It's the nature of series and the nature of remakes.

Also part of the appeal to a lot of people is the low-level nature of BG1. A lot of D&D enthusiasts actually enjoy low level adventuring a lot more. I'm one of them. End-game content always ends up being "how cheesy can we make this?" and it's dull. There's a lot more challenge when you're limited in what you can do.

I just want to let you know you're encroaching on troll territory. As a general rule, it's bad form to jump in the forums of an upcoming game and wish it were something else. I also liked Dragon Age: Origins a lot, but I want DA to be DA and I want BG to be BG. I don't need one game in another game's setting or engine because they are what they were already. I am super stoked about BG:EE as is, as are the vast majority of people who frequent a forums.

Saying you don't like something is simply going to net a giant "Okay. Now go away." Doesn't accomplish anything. Great, okay, another guy with differing tastes in video games isn't stoked about this. I was stoked about the movie Looper long before it came out in theaters and I am the only one of my friends who went to go see it this weekend and I loved it despite them saying they thought it looked stupid. Welcome to the internet.
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Also bards are amazing!! Just have to be smart about it! :P
    edited October 2012
    QD5555 said:

you could probably make that arguement about pacman. it doesnt mean i want to play that old game. are we going to move forward and progress or are we going to stand still?

I suppose you could argue about Pacman, but why? Being one of the first does not make it the best. Baldur's Gate was not a first. Many D&D games came before it, and I enjoyed many of them. When you have reached perfection; the paragon of gaming, why move forward? There is no progression when perfection has been attained. Do not change for the sake of changing. Change for the sake of improvement, and I believe that there can be none in regards to the Baldur's Gate series storyline and whole of the game.

Also, Pacman and Baldur's Gate are completely different series, and seeing as how accessible popular Pacman is today via software, browsers, and mobile apps, I'd say that it's doing just fine in it's original gameplay state.

EDIT: This thread is starting to heat up, and to prevent it I think it may help if you disclosed some points of a game that make it interesting to you. When you play a game, what are you looking for? What are you not looking for? Help us understand why it is you believe what you believe. I will do the same if requested.

• KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 632
    This dude has got to be a troll.. If not, then he's very welcome to go back to that bastardized mutant which is DA ;)
    edited October 2012
    ok, i dont really understand. if it's the original game that's so great and appealing why dont you just play the original game over and over again. i already did that 10 years ago. iv tried all the different classes, all the different builds, all the different romances, etc. what's in it for me.

i was really excited about this because i thought they were going to do more with it. i was hoping more for BG3.

atleast origins was something new, i loved the tactical combat. the bastardized mutant was DA2. whata piece of garbage.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    OH-kay...

Let's all take a step back from our computer screens and breathe for a minute. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and if @QD5555 doesn't want to buy the enhanced edition because he's tired of the original, then he's perfectly welcome to do that. Let's not all jump down his throat.

It's quite possible that when they get to BG2, they might add some more "enhancements" like the things you suggested, but for now, the game has to remain more or less the same as its initial release (in terms of content) for the sake of contractual obligations. If the original art assets hadn't been lost, then we might be looking at a truly HD experience, but sadly they were.

That said, the work that the development team has done so far has been phenomenal. The game might (mostly) look the same, but it runs a lot better than before due to the hundred-thousand lines of extraneous code that were painstakingly removed by Cam. It might be the same story and gameplay, but this is definitely an enhanced edition.
    edited October 2012
    QD5555 said:

ok, i dont really understand. if it's the original game that's so great and appealing why dont you just play the original game over and over again. i already did that 10 years ago. iv tried all the different classes, all the different builds, all the different romances, etc. what's in it for me.

i was really excited about this because i thought they were going to do more with it. i was hoping more for BG3.

atleast origins was something new, i loved the tactical combat. the bastardized mutant was DA2. whata piece of garbage.

I do play the original game, and I currently am. Why am I buying this game? To support it. To enjoy the increased resolution, and to buy it for my bli-, I mean "misguided" friends who sometimes have difficulty looking beyond the graphics. I enjoy graphics, but they are by no means a game maker/breaker for me if the game itself is outstanding. I treat the series like a legendary novel; let's say Lord of the Rings. In BG, I often play almost the same party, and I have done this over two dozen times. I do not care that I am doing mostly the same repeatedly. I love it. I love taking part in it. I love the music, the story, the voice acting, the cities, the exploration, the combat, everything.

I can atleast agree with you on the topic of DA2. While combat was fun the first couple of playthroughs, I felt the story in DA1 was superior, and more immersive. It's rare when I get so into a game that I forget the main quest, and I say that because I was so focused on charging and executing Teryn Loghain with treason in the highest order that I literally and sincerely forgot about the Archdemon and my quest as a Warden. After days of playing with focus on the confrontation with Loghain, I thought he was the final boss and the entire point of the game.

Seriously, how many games can do that? QD5555, I (And to an extent, we) are not disrespectful of DA:O. You can be a great game, even and outstanding one, without being the best. And two games can be outstanding while being different and unlikely to merge.
    let me just make it clear:

im not trying to diss your work or anything like that. if it's a copyright issue or whatever then its not your fault anyway.

AND BG2 is one of the best if not THE BEST games of all time. I AM not saying Origins is better than BG2 either. BG2 is better. i just liked how origins updated BG combat, it was alot of fun.

for 20 bucks i will prob still pick up and check out the enhanced edition.

LOOKING FORWARD TO WHEN YOU GUYS MAKE BG3!!!
    QD5555 said:

im not trying to diss your work or anything like that. if it's a copyright issue or whatever then its not your fault anyway.

AND BG2 is one of the best if not THE BEST games of all time. I AM not saying Origins is better than BG2 either. BG2 is better. i just liked how origins updated BG combat, it was alot of fun.

Exactly. I very well may go back to the non-EE versions, but I will support this game and give my friends a sincere chance to enjoy it. I cannot say I like the concept of a BG3, but that's another point not relevant to this thread. (Or not completely, rather.)
    QD5555 said:

The great hidden reward, here, is that by buying the enhanced edition, you're helping to fund BG3 in whatever form it takes when they come to the point of making it. Bonus! :)
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    edited October 2012
    @QD5555

My dream would be to play BG2 with the original 3D-models re-rendered into a higher resolution, having pages of more Irenicus dialogue AND having David Warner voice every single line that Irenicus has, no bugs and more music made by Michael Hoenig and more portraits by Mike Sass and more content written by the original team and more Minsc and Boo and Sarevok making my bed every morning.

It's impossible man. You've got to think of the paperwork and budget behind this. Overhaul Games is as far as I know an "indie" studio. We all have dreams, but this here that you request is just too much. No game studio would ever be willing to take on the job of perfecting an already perfect game with an entirely new graphics engine and mechanics, let alone get the rights to do it. And if they still could, they would go bankrupt in the process. That's just how it works. Also knowing that if what they're making is too different from the original version or inferior in any way, they would have fans raging like rabid dogs outside their studio for months. No, it wouldn't work at all.

I also think you'd already have half the fanbase going insane at the mere thought of combining BG and BG2 with anything related to Dragon Age. Trust me, I've played it. But it's nowehere near as good as the BG-series.

It would be like Michael Bay directing a remake of Shawshank Redemption.
  • NightfallRobNightfallRob Member Posts: 43
    QD5555 said:

I don't play the original because a) I don't have it any more :( and b) I don't want to have to load two dozen mods to have a chance in hell of it running on Windows 7. As for being excited about it being BG 3, the devs were as straight forward as it is possible to be about this being a remake of the original. Finally, if there's nothing in it for you, don't buy it.

QD5555 said:

I don't play the original because a) I don't have it any more :( and b) I don't want to have to load two dozen mods to have a chance in hell of it running on Windows 7. As for being excited about it being BG 3, the devs were as straight forward as it is possible to be about this being a remake of the original. Finally, if there's nothing in it for you, don't buy it.
    In regards to b), I have it running on Windows 7 and I use no mods whatsoever. Granted, it's the more recently released one that includes discs for the entire BG series in one case, but no mods are included unless I missed a very serious note somewhere.

@Kolonku you mean Minsc and Boo and Sarevok and Jaheira don't make your bed every morning? Weird; I thought everyone had that...