Skip to content

"original game remains untouched"

Comments

• KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    @Aosaw Oh, Jaheira would already being busy doing.. other stuff for me. ;)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @KolonKu Ah, yes. Preparing her spells for the day so she can heal the wounds she intends to inflict upon you for even thinking of asking her to do what she thinks you're asking her to do.

Right? ;)
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    @Aosaw Sigh.. Yeah, you're probably right. I would have to settle for someone like Tiax I guess. I believe he'd be pretty dominatrix though. :(
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    Wow why's this guy keep saying bg2 it's bg not bg2. Also I can not wait for the glory that is Baldur's Gate to be brought back to my sound pits and my sight orbs. And I will say it compared to BG DA:O is not worthy of wiping my back side
    @Rajick you lost me at "sound pits".
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    Rajick said:

Wow why's this guy keep saying bg2 it's bg not bg2. Also I can not wait for the glory that is Baldur's Gate to be brought back to my sound pits and my sight orbs. And I will say it compared to BG DA:O is not worthy of wiping my back side

I think QD may be trying to expand the scope of the thread to the BG series as a whole, but I'm not entirely sure. At any rate, I definitely agree with you in that BG and DA are not on the same level.

• QD5555QD5555 Member Posts: 13
    KolonKu said:

@QD5555

I also think you'd already have half the fanbase going insane at the mere thought of combining BG and BG2 with anything related to Dragon Age. Trust me, I've played it. But it's nowehere near as good as the BG-series.

It would be like Michael Bay directing a remake of Shawshank Redemption.

yes, it's one thing to just say it but it would be a huge project. im guessing something like this would take 4 or more years since BG2 is such a huge game.

copyrights and all that aside i was thinking maybe origins engine would be good for BG3. it would cut down on work since the foundation is already there???

and i think origins got the BG style combat right. my dream game would be:

Origins combat (with even MORE classes, kits and character customization)

WITH BG2 scope, roleplaying, romances, npcs, side quests and game size (maybe even bigger :D)

• sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I am fairly certain there is a fan community trying to do BG2 in the DA:O engine.

But those things never work. It's too much work for very little pay-off. The Planescape: Torment NWN mod is a pretty keen example of that.

As cool as it would be to see an updated engine with slicker graphics and what not, I am kind of glad they aren't doing that. Remaking games in that way more often than not result in a title that doesn't capture the spirit of the original game. Sticking it in a better version of it's own engine is one thing; making an entire new one just doesn't work.

The way I look at BG:EE is not as a remake but as a re-release. Because that's more in line with what it is. It's a re-release with modern day gaming features and some additional content. That's pretty cool to me, and I'm sure it is with a lot of other people.
    Anduine said:

Rajick said:

I think QD may be trying to expand the scope of the thread to the BG series as a whole, but I'm not entirely sure. At any rate, I definitely agree with you in that BG and DA are not on the same level.

i think i am confused since theyre talking about the ascension mod on the front page which is for BG2.

so it's only going to be BG1 that's overhauled. three new NPCs are added, an arena is added...

maybe i missed it but are they including tales of the sword coast?
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @QD5555: Yeah, something I frequently roll my eyes with is how far ahead a lot of the BG:EE enthusiasts are with their minds. BG:EE isn't even out (though it should have been) and they are already talking about what they want if BG2:EE comes out.

People say "when" but at this point, it's still an "if" and not a lot of people seem to get that.

Also it's everything that encompassed BG1, so TotSC will be part of it. I think this far removed from release, no one considers it an expansion anymore. It's all just part of the total experience.
    edited October 2012
    They are including Tales of the Sword Coast, yes.

You'll see some people talking about what they want to see come time for BG2:EE, which will enter its development immediately after the release of BG1:EE.

@QD5555: Yeah, something I frequently roll my eyes with is how far ahead a lot of the BG:EE enthusiasts are with their minds. BG:EE isn't even out (though it should have been) and they are already talking about what they want if BG2:EE comes out.

People say "when" but at this point, it's still an "if" and not a lot of people seem to get that.

Also it's everything that encompassed BG1, so TotSC will be part of it. I think this far removed from release, no one considers it an expansion anymore. It's all just part of the total experience.

BG2:EE isn't an "if"; it's already been negotiated and contracted, and will be released sometime in 2013.
    and they are adding all of the BG2 classes and kits is that correct?

That's correct; BG1:EE will be in an enhanced version of the ToB engine, which means most of the mechanics will follow BG2 rules (with some exceptions; I can't recall which ones have been announced, so for now I'll refrain from listing them). So, yes, that means you'll be able to use the kits from BG2 and Throne of Bhaal, as well as the new Blackguard kit for evil paladins.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    edited October 2012
    In a similar vein; there was a turn-based alien combat game, first known as UFO Defense but now known as the XCOM series (for extraterrestrial combat). That game has THREE new versions of the original coming out:

1) An enhanced version, similar to BGEE but with a different graphic style and with some gameplay changes
    2) A new HD turn-based game loosely based on the original
    3) A FPS set in the same timeline as the original

To add to the irony all 3 of these will probably come out in the next 6 months or so. I've looked at the details available for the games, and even played the demo available for the second one.

And after that... I installed the 20 year old original and played it, because it had more soul than any of the others. Sure every male/female soldier looked the same. Sure the interface is completely incomprehensible the first several times you stare at it. Sure the Japanese always betray you to side with the aliens (jerks). But that's what made the game what it was... a classic.

If you keep fiddling and fiddling with a classic, you get this:

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2012
    Anduine said:

QD5555 said:

they should take all of BG1 BG2 and TOB and convert it all over to Dragon Age Origins engine/mechanics/graphics. Add kits, Add new classes, Add Epic new quests and battles. Now that would be something to see. i would pay 100 bucks for that. lol

I respect that what you type is your opinion, so I hope I am not offending you, but if the revered Baldur's Gate series, the paragon of RPGs was changed to something like Dragon Age, I myself would lead a righteous, violent, and fiery rebellion to which would be remembered and sung about for AGES to come.

I would bard sing the crap out of this with the hope of helping you out. Though word of warning I'm a terrible singer. I like to think I'd give you +1 to your attack rolls and damage, but there is always the risk that you may end up being simply stunned or deafened. Hard to say :p
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Now, I liked DAO. I did. It was no BG, but liked it.

DA2 was part of the train wreck that has led me to be 99% sure that I'm done with...I can't call it Bioware anymore. EAware.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Reading thread ... reading thread ...
    QD5555 said:

You have Dragon Age Origins to compete with. So live up to the name please, overhaul it.

Okay, please tell me you are trolling. You did *not* just post that here ... oh man ...
    @Quartz I think he's referring to Dragon Age's advances in graphics and tactical combat more than its story or characters.
    edited October 2012
    @Aosaw I know, but that's still just asking for it around these parts, you know that. :P

I'll agree this bothers me. But I'm probably biased because I prefer BG1 over BGII, so when people flaunt around acting like the sequel is "obviously" better and not up to personal interpretation, I kinda get mad.
    Oh, he's gotten plenty of push-back on Page One. I'm trying to keep things from getting out of hand. :)
    Quartz said:

@Aosaw I know, but that's still just asking for it around these parts, you know that. :P

I'll agree this bothers me. But I'm probably biased because I prefer BG1 over BGII, so when people flaunt around acting like the sequel is "obviously" better and not up to personal interpretation, I kinda get mad.
    BG2 is alot better IMO. it's just bigger and better in every way.

but adding the kits to BG1 should make building your character more interesting.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    @QD5555

I'm with you on this, at least partially. My big hope for BG:EE was that there would be BG2 style banters for all the NPCs. Obviously, this is not possible. I was crushed. I mean, sure, the BG1 NPC project already adds all that, and it's fantastic, but it'd be nice to see some of the original writers (who I heard were involved in this maybe?) do it. Actually, that'd be amazing.

So, I was hugely disappointed to find out that wasn't the case.
    Aosaw said:

@Quartz I think he's referring to Dragon Age's advances in graphics and tactical combat more than its story or characters.

ya it was so good. from the moment i started pounding darkspawn over with alistars shield or stunning them then backstabbing them over and over again i was hooked.

BUT, dragon age combat was not w/o flaws. i dunno if it was intentional or not but they made the mage ridiculously overpowered. cone of cold? come on... i like atleast a little balance in my games.

• EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    edited October 2012
    No, the game should stay the same, besides they simply are not allowed to change things. However they can and will add content.
    QD5555 said:

You have Dragon Age Origins to compete with. So live up to the name please, overhaul it.

Dragon Age Origin and Baldur's Gate aren't even in the same league.

Time Stop was hardly overpowered because any enemy that was a problem enough to warrant casting the spell was immune to it so it actually hurt your overall party because it'd be just your mage vs. a dragon instead of your entire party.

let me test my memory...

dualclass fighter mage (you didnt need many levels of fighter, just enough to max your specialization). it was pretty overpowered. you had a long list of buffs spells like armour, shield, improved haste, protection from missles, spell immunity, tensors transformation, stone skin are the ones that jump to mind but i'm sure there was more. you could even pile your buff spells into a sequencer to cast them all at once.

with these spells up you could be about 5x more powerful than a pure class fighter. talking like -15 or more armour class. add a crom feyr and time stops into the mix and just about anything was toast in seconds. only liches and demi liches are immune to timestop i think??

elminster said:

I would bard sing the crap out of this with the hope of helping you out. Though word of warning I'm a terrible singer. I like to think I'd give you +1 to your attack rolls and damage, but there is always the risk that you may end up being simply stunned or deafened. Hard to say :p

Terrible singing of the Ballad of Righteous, Violent, Fiery Rebellion: + 1 to attack and damage for allies due to their aggravated ears, enemies can no longer attack and lose -5 AC due to covering their ears.

That just seems awesome, and in the case you are exaggerating about your singing (As many a singer do), the bonus to attack and damage would be even greater for allies.

Seems like a win/win.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited October 2012
    Repost from GoG version versus BG:EE discussion, which I think applies to the OP's criticisms:
    Lemernis said:

No reason not to get both (GoG and EE), unless you're really counting your pennies.

The main selling points of BG:EE:

- existing game entirely bug-fixed
    - uses the ToB engine (implements dual-wielding, kits, BG2 spell selection)
    - hi-res graphics
    - zoom feature
    - new GUI
    - new cinematics
    - playable on PC, iPad, Android, and cross-platfom
    - fixed multiplayer
    - three new professionally crafted NPCs with quests and interactions with existing NPCs (Monk, Blackguard, and Wild Mage)
    - new Blackguard kit
    - new (additional) voice sets for PC
    - new (additional) PC portraits
    - new areas
    - 6 hour stand-alone adventure module, The Black Pits
    - DLCs of new content to be released regularly post-ship
    - when BG2:EE is released you'll need BG:EE to integrate them both into a single platform to play the entire Enhanced saga in one go
    - dev team working with modding community to support mods
    - a bonus feature yet to be announced
    - success of BG:EE and BG2:EE will make development of Baldur's Gate III possible

And hopefully an official mod manager of some sort will be released as DLC in the near future.

Main selling point of Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga and Baldur's Gate II Complete at gog.com:

- classic versions
    - bargain bin price!
    - you can get them both now, whereas BG:EE is scheduled for release Nov. 30, '12 and BG2:EE some time next year
    - a plethora of mods currently available for the TuTu and BGT platforms (however most if not all will be eventually available for Beamdog's Enhanced Editions as well, just will take some time)

So if you love playing the entire saga with lots of mods installed won't be able to do that with the Enhanced Editions until next year.

Post edited by Lemernis on
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    My sympathy to the OP who clearly had no idea he was entering a forum of utter zealotry :p Some truly nauseating posts here and there, well done guys.

@QD5555 - yeah a lot of people were disappointed about e.g. no new graphics, (supposedly) not much in the way of BG2 style banter for old NPCs, just one kit (apparently) being added, etc. but that was months ago and now people are just looking forward to whatever it is we're getting.
    edited October 2012

Some truly nauseating posts here and there, well done guys.

Could you elaborate?

EDIT: Zealotry seems understandable in defense of a holy relic, no?
    QD5555 said:

it's just bigger and better in every way.

Yes, the lack of free-roaming areas sure was "bigger" alright. Being confined to cities and dungeons sure was "bigger."

Don't get me wrong, BGII is an awesome game and I respect people preferring it (I did for like 10 years), but to act like that there is absolutely no competition is silly.