Skip to content

So there are 4 multiclass combinations allowed by the rules but not by Baldur's Gate

2»

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited October 2012
    Miloch said:

Half-elf
    Fighter/Cleric*
    Fighter/Thief
    Fighter/Mage
    Cleric/Ranger
    Cleric*/Mage
    Thief/Mage
    Fighter/Mage/Cleric*
    Fighter/Mage/Thief

* or Druid

Actually, the text is identical to the multiclass section of the AD&D Player's Handbook, as is the case with a lot of info from the manuals. Probably just went unnoticed by revision.

I still wonder why those multiclasses were left out, though. I'd love for them to be available.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It might be a balance issue, but I really don't know. The tables in the manuals are notoriously inaccurate, and that's something that will (read: should) not be an issue now.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    I doubt it was done for balance reasons - it's not like a druid/mage would be more powerful than a cleric/mage. I think it's a technical issue, @Aosaw. A druid is not a separate cleric kit, but a class. If you look at CLASS.IDS in BG1, you have:
    1 MAGE
    2 FIGHTER
    3 CLERIC
    4 THIEF
    5 BARD
    6 PALADIN
    7 FIGHTER_MAGE
    8 FIGHTER_CLERIC
    9 FIGHTER_THIEF
    10 FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF
    11 DRUID
    12 RANGER
    13 MAGE_THIEF
    14 CLERIC_MAGE
    15 CLERIC_THIEF
    16 FIGHTER_DRUID
    17 FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC
    18 CLERIC_RANGER
    That's it for player classes. You have 16 FIGHTER_DRUID but to enable the others, you'd need DRUID_MAGE and FIGHTER_MAGE_DRUID as well. And that wouldn't be the only change, but a number of other files reference these classes. Finally, you'd have to make those classes accessible through the GUI (some of which relates to these files, some of which is hardcoded). It looks almost to me that the devs implemented FIGHTER_DRUID and then ran out of time or something, or maybe wanted to limit the number of class entries (which is odd because they added SORCERER and MONK in BG2).
    It would be a balance issue because of the wild shape ability druids get. But I really couldn't speak to the reasons why it was left out. You could be right that it was a time constraint.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Aosaw, not pre-ordering? ;)
    Planning to, just haven't gotten around to it. I might wait until after the release to give them that extra $2.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    druid multi/dual classes could probably be added by BGEE with little effort.
    Hopefully everything will be externalized so this could be eventually done by datafiles.