Skip to content

SPOILER: The mother of our hero...

Comments

• SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Yes the Solars vision must be false in some sense. It is clear through all of the BG-saga that Bhaal walked the land BEFORE (and not during) the Time of Trubles and seeded his children.
    If this was to be true Sarevok and the PC should be somewhat 10-12 years old at present time.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited October 2012
    @Syntia13

Okay, thanks, forgot that bit about the protagonist being 20.

Is it that mutiple Bhaalspawn of varying ages are assembled by Gorion's mother for the sacrifice? If so then Sarevok can certainly be a bit older than CHARNAME.

If the Bhaalspawn who are being sacrified by Alieanna are infants-to-adolescents then I agree that they would have to be at least around 5 years old to escape. It seems rather far-fetched that even a child Bhaalspawn could cast a level 5 spell such as Chaos! This is just really bad/sloppy story writing by the developers, if that's what happened. But perhaps the shade of 'child Sarevok' is just reporting his confused experience at that age, and in actuality the Chaos spell was cast by one of the intervening Harpers, or a member of Alieanna's party. That would be my 'fanon' explanation, lol.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    edited October 2012
    If anyone is up to summarizing all the relevant facts as we have them in-game, that would be awesome...

I'd like to see the full text of the ToB dialogs with the solar and summoned shades about this event, if anyone has them.

(I can find all this myself eventually, but if someone feels motivated, I mean.)
    Lemernis said:

@Syntia13

Okay, thanks, forgot that bit about the protagonist being 20.

Is it that mutiple Bhaalspawn of varying ages are assembled by Gorion's mother for the sacrifice? If so then Sarevok can certainly be a bit older than CHARNAME.

If the Bhaalspawn who are being sacrified by Alieanna are infants-to-adolescents then I agree that they would have to be at least around 5 years old to escape. It seems rather far-fetched that even a child Bhaalspawn could cast a level 5 spell such as Chaos! This is just really bad/sloppy story writing by the developers, if that's what happened. But perhaps the shade of 'child Sarevok' is just reporting his confused experience at that age, and in actuality the Chaos spell was cast by one of the intervening Harpers, or a member of Alieanna's party. That would be my 'fanon' explanation, lol.

I think the Sarevok-child talks about the chaos of fighting when the Harpers attacked and not the spell...
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    I had a big problem with the change and feel of the story from BG 1 and 2. And TOB is almost unplayable for me from a story point of view. One of the things that has bothered me all these years is the seven daughters of Mystra references, Seven Sisters all through the first game. I really thought there was a Bhaal/Mystra arc going on in the fabric of the BG 1, but then that vanishes. Don't know, just always bothered me.
    edited October 2012
    @SamualVarg

Using a capital C for Chaos is confusing there, i.e., "Some of us used the Chaos to escape, to flee [...] I was there, [...] I fled on my own." I guess it could be either chaos with a small c, or the spell cast by one of the adult combatants. Doesn't really matter either way, I suppose.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    ...It doesn't look particularly confusing to me, I think it's pretty clear from how it's formulated that they didn't mean the spell.
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, that was just my lazy eye in reading it. I agree. (My brain didn't register the "the" in front of Chaos.)
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    @Neleothesze: That's some good research. It does irritate me that they broke with cannon so readily and completely.

Unfortunately, the game was going to have a few plot holes in it. The timeline really only makes sense if you are a human. Considering that dwarves, elves and half-elves all age at different rates, it'd be tough to develop an exact timeline. If Gorion rescues an elven baby, he will have to wait many decades for it become an adventurer (and will likely be dead before it becomes an adult). Sarevok would have to have been the same age as you, since Gorion was given the choice of taking you or him. So if you were an elven baby, he'd also be ancient by the time you fought him. Grandpa Sarevok and his Deathbringer Assault indeed.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Am I the only one who wished they didn't reveal my mother, or anything about her? That was an important mystery to me. It allowed me a part of the story to write myself that no one else could control.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    Silence said:

Am I the only one who wished they didn't reveal my mother, or anything about her? That was an important mystery to me. It allowed me a part of the story to write myself that no one else could control.

@Silence I would have loved it if they'd left the PC's mother out of the 'drama' surrounding the Bhaalspawn thing or if David Gaider, with Ascension, would have clarified some of the inconsistencies.

• PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,196
    Silence said:

You can simply assume (with what has been said above) that solar is lying.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited October 2012
    Syntia13 said:

@lemernis
    Nope, at the beginning of BG1PC is 20. The prologue says it very clearly:

- "You have spent most of your 20 years of life within this keep's walls."
    Also, in ToB when "Gorion's ghost" (a mirage cast by the manipulative Solar, more like) says that PC and 'other babes' were supposed to be sacrificed, but the next second the "baby Sarevok ghost" says: "Some of us used the Chaos to escape, to flee [...] I was there, [...] I fled on my own."

I refuse to believe an infant, or even a three or four year old child could escape on their own from a hidden, guarded temple in the middle of a hostile raid. He must have been around 7 years at least... IF you believed any of this story, which I don't. (People often said Gorion lied in his letter... well I say that the Solar is lying through its hypothetical teeth and conjuring those images at random. I realize I'm in a minority in this, even if that time inconsistency I mentioned above seems to support this theory ;D )
    Either on purpose or accidentally, they also forgot to mention the location of the temple where Sarevok and you were to be sacrificed - the one in the undercity of Baldur's Gate.
    I don't know how the infant Sarevok managed to flee a labirynth full of undead, but it makes sense that he soon became another one of Baldur's Gate's countless homeless orphans.
    Silence said:

@Neleothesze: That's some good research. It does irritate me that they broke with cannon so readily and completely.

Unfortunately, the game was going to have a few plot holes in it. The timeline really only makes sense if you are a human. Considering that dwarves, elves and half-elves all age at different rates, it'd be tough to develop an exact timeline. If Gorion rescues an elven baby, he will have to wait many decades for it become an adventurer (and will likely be dead before it becomes an adult). Sarevok would have to have been the same age as you, since Gorion was given the choice of taking you or him. So if you were an elven baby, he'd also be ancient by the time you fought him. Grandpa Sarevok and his Deathbringer Assault indeed.

Well elfs dont take decades to become adults do they?
    They reach adulthood in the same maners as a human but then starts to age slower.
    Vonbek777 said:

I had a big problem with the change and feel of the story from BG 1 and 2. And TOB is almost unplayable for me from a story point of view. One of the things that has bothered me all these years is the seven daughters of Mystra references, Seven Sisters all through the first game. I really thought there was a Bhaal/Mystra arc going on in the fabric of the BG 1, but then that vanishes. Don't know, just always bothered me.

Same here. I still like BG with the TotSc-expansion best. BGII was good but not as good as BG. I did not like ToB at all. To grand. To fast. To many Bhaalspawns. To much divinity. To many retcons.
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120

Lemernis said:

All her machinations were made so that a) you could become a good deity b) you could become an evil mortal.

I like this theory a lot. It is very obviously not what the writers were thinking, but it adds a neat little twist and fits the facts.

I will take this as acceptable fanon explanation from now on.

Note that the lazy storytelling of ToB is far from limited to the main quest. The writers, for example, apparently didn't bother to check and see which plane Bhaal resided on when he was still alive and just kinda assumed it was the Abyss. I remember being annoyed with that when I first played ToB. Is a little bare bones fact checking really so hard?
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86

Lemernis said:

All her machinations were made so that a) you could become a good deity b) you could become an evil mortal.

I like this theory a lot. It is very obviously not what the writers were thinking, but it adds a neat little twist and fits the facts.
    Fridge logic at it's best ;)
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited October 2012
    Adul said:

SamuelVarg is correct, I have been wondering about this contradiction myself. I figure the developers have simply forgotten about a tiny piece of canon lore they had set up previously. In game projects as large as the BG series, that happens on occasion.

The scroll's item code is SCRL2J, and here is the part which is relevant to the topic:

[...] For reasons unknown to me, he sought out women of every race and forced himself upon them. Your mother was one of those women, and as you know, she died in childbirth. I had been her friend and, on occasion, lover. I felt obligated to raise you as my own. I have always thought of you as my child and I hope you still think of me as your father. [...]

Wait a minute, Gorion AND Baal slept with the PC's mother? Eww.... no wonder he wanted to get out of Candlekeep.

---

Oh and then in BG 1 Imoen is a life-long friend, perhaps hints of romance, then BAM in BG II you find out she is your sister. Like Star Wars I tell ya...
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I swear, the plot in TOB is so convoluted, twisting in on itself and back again, that I just take the attitude of kill 'em all and let Baal sort 'em out.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231

Fridge logic at it's best ;)

@Zwiebelchen Tyvm. :P It did actually occur to me only after I played through the game and was toying around with some character backgrounds :)) But it would be more impressive if I were to shout "plot hole" and pretend I noticed it all along so don't give it away! Shh! ;)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I raised this issue a while ago too, the moral justify that we fans can come to conclusion is that Gorion lied to protect the main char from the truth.

The real reason probally is that when they made BG, they doesn't even imagined that one day they would launch Throne of Bhaal, therefore they ignored some small issues from the old BG in the ToB making process, if that was by mistake or intentional i don't know.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    So... Basically... The Solar is Azura?
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2012
    A few points to ponder after reading this thread. A lot of people who wonder how/why Sarevok managed to gain control of the trading costers and try to affix an age to him based on that seem to forget that he too was adopted at a young age by the head of the trading coster( i've forgotten the names of the trading boss but it was explained in a few notes found around baldur's gate). So he was already within that innner circle of traders and being raised by this guy, he would have unique and intricate knowledge of how things ran and how he could manipulate them and his own "father" into taking control. Age would have nothing to do with this and he could have easily done this even at a relatively young age.

I assumed when i was playing ToB that solar was lying to try and manipulate me into making a decision she wanted and would be to her advantage. I wondered how my mother performed this right after giving birth to me? I'm sure all mothers out there can attest to this, that if you died at childbirth(even assuming you lived i doubt charname's mother would even have the energy)....how could you possibly have sprung up from the birthing bed, grabbed your new born child, tossed him onto an altar and tried to sacrifice him to Bhaal and it just so happened that at that precise moment, the harpers just happened to be attackiing the temple....too many coincidences=lies. SAY WHAT? She died at childbirth. Solar is lying. Pardon the pun but Solar was spinning a yarn of Bhaalshit.

Thought i had a few more things but my train of thoguht just derailed and it was messy.
    Solar isn't lying, that's pretty clear, and your mother didn't tried to kill you just after your birth, all bhaal childrens where to be killed in an special cerimony, where the priests gathered all the childrens they could to kill inside an specific temple, the childrens were of 3/4 age as when Gorion storm the place with the harpers to kill the priests, after he leave the place Sarevok aparently leave that event walking from the wreckage of the stormed temple.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    @kamuizin you need to learn about sarcasm lol

As far as interpretation goes, we both obviously interpreted things differently and since it's been WAY too long since i've played ToB, i can't prepare a proper rebuttal to yours. I'll get cracking on playing ToB and see if it joggles my memory a bit more and come back to this and see if my memory reinforces my point or tilts towards yours.
    edited October 2012

...A lot of people who wonder how/why Sarevok managed to gain control of the trading costers and try to affix an age to him based on that seem to forget that he too was adopted at a young age by the head of the trading coster ( i've forgotten the names of the trading boss but it was explained in a few notes found around baldur's gate). So he was already within that innner circle of traders and being raised by this guy, he would have unique and intricate knowledge of how things ran and how he could manipulate them and his own "father" into taking control. Age would have nothing to do with this and he could have easily done this even at a relatively young age...

Yeah, you're correct, it's been so long since I've played that I failed to remember this. SixofSpades once posted Sarevok's whole diary at Pocket Planne (see here), with some very minor edits, eg, correcting dates. Sarevok's adopted father is Rieltar Anchev, whom CHARNAME defeats at Candlekeep in Chapter 6. I had forgotten that Winski Perorate, Sarevok's mentor, did not raise Sarevok. Rather, it was Rieltar, the powerful merchant in Baldur's Gate, who is also referenced in the Cloakwood mines plot.

In Sarevok's diary he relates that he is a few years older than Gorion's ward. So he's about 23, let's say. It makes much more sense that Sarevok is able to pull off his scheme to assume control of the Iron Throne given that his father paved the way for him.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    edited October 2012
    @kamuzin
    kamuizin said:

Solar isn't lying, that's pretty clear

Uh, what? How is it clear? Here's a quote from one of the visions Solar showed us:

"I am you mother. [...] In the Time of Troubles did Bhaal himself come and whisper in mine ear. I was to give birth to one of the Children. To you."

Here are excerpts from the official timeline (http://crpp0001.uqtr.ca/w4/campagne/Fichiers_Word/FR_DG/TimelineoftheRealms.pdf):
    1358 / Year of Shadows - The Time of Troubles; gods walk the Realms.
    1368 / Year of the Banner - "Baldur's Gate:" Sarevok, spawn of the dead god Bhaal, plots with
    the Iron Throne to start a war between Amn and Baldur's Gate. Scar of the Flaming Fists and Grand Duke Eltan of Baldur's Gate are slain. Another spawn of Bhaal, Abdel Adrian, confronts Sarevok and slays him.

Either someone is lying, or Sarevok had been defeated by a nine year old child.

Also, it isn't specified how old the Charname was at the time of ritual - Alianna says that she was hidden in a secret temple, and the ritual took place after Bhaal died - however, considering that Time of Troubles lasted about 5 months... Bhaal was killed within five months of first approaching your mother, and yet as soon as he was dead, you were already born and ready to be sacrificed. This was some speedy pregnancy.
    Either someone is lying, or your mother was on some divine steroids.

Or, of course, the writers really botched up their fact checking, but who cares about boring RL reasons when we can spin RP conspiracy theories? :P

• XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Well another inconsistency is the fact that IF Gorion new about your mother and had her as a lover, then Solar's twist of fate would have made no sense. Gorion would choose his lover's child, therefore, there is no "small twist of fate" now, if it was a lie on Gorion's part, then that makes some sense on Solar's part.
    If you try to apply all the lore of D&D official lore in Baldur's Gate, you gonna perceive that everyone, including the devs that made the original game are lying to you, the game has far more break points than timelines. Besides, i can't confirm your source.

@Gilgalahad i made reference to this line of your previous post:

"I assumed when i was playing ToB that solar was lying to try and manipulate me into making a decision she wanted and would be to her advantage."

If that was sarcasm, then yes, i need learn something of this new way of make sarcasm. By the way you could have fooled me cos i never thought that those lines were a joke! :)