Skip to content

Shared XP discrepancy

Is all xp (group quest rewards, monster kills, etc.) intended to be shared equally with each party member? In my game, it is not.

I have just started a new game, made it to Kuldahar, and already the character in the first party spot (Paladin) has 100 more xp than the character in the last party spot (Sorcerer), and 60 more xp than the characters in the 4th and 5th spots. I'm curious what game mechanic might be causing this.

Comments

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Nope, in iwd xp is not equally shared. More xp goes to front liners, so the more down a character is in the right bar the less xp is given to him.
  • TanukiParadeTanukiParade Member Posts: 2
    Thank you! I couldn't find any reference to this in the manual, it just said that all xp was shared.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605

Thank you! I couldn't find any reference to this in the manual, it just said that all xp was shared.

yeah, and equally shared, the manual is wrong :D
    I know because of a guide on Gamefaqs and because after a while playing it's easy to notice
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    It's worth noting that the difference tends to remain small relative to your total experience. You might have a discrepancy of a few thousand points by the end of the game, but by that point it doesn't make much difference.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    It occurs because of the remainders when you divide the xo between the party.

If you kill a goblin for 10xp then the first 4 characters in your lineup get 2 xp and the last 2 get 1 xp for a total of 10 xp given to the party.

Later the xp from enemies becomes much greater so it's a much more even distribution.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    So THAT'S what was going on. I was wondering if I was going crazy or not.

Still, this seems kinda detrimental to the squishies that are almost always put on the back line. They do just as much, and mages can even turn the tide of battle, but they get the least experience.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    It works the same way for BG too.

The XP is divided by 6 and the remainder is added one point at a time from top to bottom.

So if you kill a monster that gives 7 xp, each party member gets 1 xp each and the leader gets the spare for 2 xp.

Doesn't seem like much until you kill say 10 of those creatures at once. Everyone gets 10 xp, except for leader who gets 20 xp.

It is good to juggle the order once and awhile to keep things even but not really necessary
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    It can be a bit of an impediment early on, when the difference between levels is only a few thousand, and xp chunks are small. But even then it'll only be a few kills to catch up between the front and the back lines. Once you're getting 125xp per kill that's 20xp for you're last member and 21 for the rest, pretty insignificant. When you get to 2000 per kill, it's 333 and 334, a fraction of a %. It doesn't really make a difference.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yeah, as others said, it is of no consequence in the long run. Only in the very first lvls, maybe, if you have two members of the same class, the one in the front row will level up two or three monsters before the latter one.