Skip to content

My Favorite Game (And a thank you)

This probably isn't going to be a ground-breaking post, and I suspect that my sentiment will be echoed by the legions of fans on these boards, but I thought I would express it all the same.

For almost fifteen years the Baldur's Gate series has been my favorite game. It's the one game that I have played more times than I can count and I still happily go back to it. I don't know what it is. I was about 14 years old when the first Baldur's Gate was released; I had never experienced anything like it. Up until that point my gaming experience was mostly centered around the Super Nintendo (and later) the Nintendo 64. This game introduced me to Dungeons & Dragons and the joys of tabletop gaming, as well as role-playing games in general. There's something about Baldur's Gate that captivates the imagination and gives a sense of immersion in the story that most other games simply don't manage; the unflinching dilemma of choice, the question of morality, and the action packed danger of high adventure.

I've bought so many copies of this game you can still find little CD covers, boxes and instruction manuals stuffed away in the secret places of my car, my closet, and my garage. With the rise of Steam and digital download, the days of going to a retail store to purchase computer games are quickly shrinking in the distance, and yet here I am almost 30 years old still playing Baldur's Gate with my latest protagonist (Markas the Fighter -- Bastard Sword/Shield).

Regardless of some of the controversies and nitpicks I've read on this forum and in other reviews, the Enhanced Editions have allowed me to fall in love all over again with my favorite game. It's very likely that I'll still be playing this game for another 15 years, filling what little free time I have in between a full time job and raising a family with one more adventure across the Sword Coast surrounded by the familiar faces of friends and foes that I feel have been with me most of my life. No doubt that may sound a little melodramatic, but for my part, I only really have one thing left to say to Beamdog and all the people who gave new life to this magical game:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Comments

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Welcome to the forum! Have a :cookie:!
  • dotsdots Member Posts: 37
    I've just finished my first run of the EE editions, including SoD, and honestly this is the most utter joy I've felt playing the series since rolling my very first garbage druid.