Skip to content

Lagging issues and how to fix please?

brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
Just started playing SOD and in chapter eight - Almost any battle and the game completely lags frame by frame and takes forever especially using area effect spells. ANy help or advice to fix this issue which Im sure alot of people are dealing with?

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    No, not many people have the issue. A couple have, and it seems to be connected to old graphics cards. Try reducing your screen resolution.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    do I need to go to the ini. file for that? Ive read abit on it
    the Other EE games seems to work fine except if the battles get too crowded but thats far and few between so not sure why SOD is lagging every battle :(
    No, it's your PC settings (right click on the bsckground to access them).

SoD is much more demanding than the old games, with it's graphical upgrades (which you can turn off) and huge number of mobs active at one time.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Enter every character, customise, and select NONE for ai scripts. Advanced script is very demanding on old pcs.
    Turn off sprite outlines from graphic options
    Thanks @Fardragon and @lunar - I did turn off the sprite outlines and AI as game wouldnt even work with them on, the graphics upgrades like rendering/interface/full screen didnt make a difference...I'll try the PC settings though right now and let you know...
    We might be able to help more if you posted your PC's specs.
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    Many GPU works better with the "3d" games, in easy words, the companies making these graphics card do not really give great importance to the "2d" games, if "3d" games run well, the best graphics card you can buy, they lacks when you play "2d" games. Most of the games today are in "3d" so very little support is given to the "2d" games. You can have the best CPU GPU RAM HD, but it doesn't really matter, often to get the best GPU doesn't mean that it works out all the games. Removing the adds will make the game run faster.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Could you attach a dxdiag report please as that could help troubleshoot
    - Windows + R
    - Type dxdiag and click ok
    - Once it completes, click save all information
    - Drop the saved file into the leave a comment window

Also, please advise whether the alternate renderer makes any difference, either set in-game through the options -> graphics menu then exit the game and restart. Or edit baldur.lua in your documents > baldur's gate - enhanced edition folder with the game closed. A value of 1 is directx, 0 is opengl.
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, here's the DxDiag report, got directx 11 - tried changing the alternate renderer a few times and restaring but never noticed a difference...
    I tried the lower resolution down from 1920 x 1080 to 1440 x 900 and is making it more manageable to play now so thank you @Fardragon & @lunar and i forgot to change the AI scripts on NPCs so thats been done now too lol...let me know if I should tinker @Gate70 with the edit file or is this probably the best I can do with the specs I have.
    Cheers :smile:
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Well I guess that's the most you can do. Hopefuly it is playable?
    edited May 2016
    Hi @brunardo
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers indicates you may be able to download a driver from 2016 instead of the 2011 version shown in your dxdiag report. That could make a reasonable difference.

I'd start by trying to get it to search for updates
    Windows/R
    Type devmgmt.msc and click ok
    Expand Display Adaptors
    Right click Intel HD Graphics
    Update Driver Software
    Search for...

I have the same chipset but only tried up to 1366x768 as haven't got a connector to my slightly larger res monitor.
    Post edited by Gate70 on
    Its playable now and still looks good.

This info on the driver update Im going to try @Gate70 - I will let you know and thanks again as Im lost when it comes to this stuff!
    It won't help that I typed a wrong character for the device manager in the earlier post, edited.
  • yagashurayagashura Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, i've been searching for lag explanation in SoD and I found it ! Lags appear when i drop a particuliar item on the floor. In my case, it's the diary of Sarevok. Strange isn't it ?
    Cheers.