Deleted.
Post edited by Yulaw9460 on

Comments

• Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    Personally I found melee the best but if you are limited in that regard and depend on ammo;

- as mentioned, detonation arrows of course. They are different than fire arrows so he is not immune.
    - frost wand helped
    - arrows of piercing of course (huge THACO and not magical))
    - electric, fire and cold arrows did not help (but frost wand did? funny that)
    - summons are helpful to take the heat (literally)
    - some spells still work, grease worked, (web did not) personal buffs will all help (i.e. DUHM) with missiles.

It's basically spaghetti time, throw at wall, see what sticks.

Getting his henchmen out of the fight is also key.

Summons help in that regard as do direct spells ( incapacitating type such as Outy's sphere)

Best to ya.

m2c
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Arrows of dispelling, both for Savarok and the others do a lot of damage.

The detonation ones are great fun but, and it's a big but, don't have AI turned on. Otherwise your whole party ends up being fried when the enemy being targeted wanders too close to the party or some over zealous NPC decides to be a hero and goes after the enemy currently being hit by the arrows.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • AethernautAethernaut Member Posts: 60
    I've been saving up my bolt of polymorph for the occasion.

The idea of Sarevok being transformed into a squirrel during the final battle is too amusing to pass up.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Not likely. Like all special tough enemies, he has 0 saves vs whatever. Maybe even in the negatives.

sarevok was designed to have missiles be terrible against him, although bolts of lightning work decently somewhat
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Not likely. Like all special tough enemies, he has 0 saves vs whatever. Maybe even in the negatives.

sarevok was designed to have missiles be terrible against him, although bolts of lightning work decently somewhat

Is that still the case, Sarevok being designed to have great defence against missile weapons?
    Because I never have Charname or any NPC engage him in melee, he hits far too hard, arrows, bullets and magic all the way.

The challenge for me in the last fight is keeping Sarevok alive long enough to ensure that you get to kill everybody, including the doom guards, at the same time ensuring that nobody gets killed.

I have read here that the EE version of the final battle is easier than the original. If that's true, what changed?

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I've never had too much trouble with regular arrows. He might have damage resistance (it's been too long since I last fought him), but it's still better than risking melee. Still, the only thing I know he has no defense against is Magic Missile.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    @Yulaw9460 Yes, I'm pretty sure it'll work that way. That said, if the wiki's stats are correct, Sarevok gets 3 attacks per round at -6 Thac0, so that's a 50-50 shot at hitting you with each attack. So even with all of that, standing your ground would be risky. Me, I consider him making a single attack roll to be a failure on my part.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • lurithlurith Member Posts: 55
    No question
  • longjo83longjo83 Member Posts: 14

I've never had too much trouble with regular arrows. He might have damage resistance (it's been too long since I last fought him), but it's still better than risking melee. Still, the only thing I know he has no defense against is Magic Missile.

I know Melf's acid arrow works, since he always gives a last grunt after Gorion zaps him in Chapter 1.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    Using missiles is the most inefficient way to fight Sarevok. Also spells are too unreliable giving his saving throws and magic resistance.

The most easy way is to melee him with a character equipped with boots of speed and immune to fear (either cavalier or wearing the helm of kiel) in order to restore all health at once drinking from the goblet.
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    edited May 2016
    Arrows of Piercing are the only thing worth trying to put into him. His AC is low and his magic resistance is annoying to say the least. And then, he's gonna hit (and he hits HARD) whatever is standing in front of him, so Mirror Image or summons are the only logical "tank" options. All said, I find Semaj and Angelo to be bigger thorns in my side.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited May 2016
    Buy some general throwing daggers. Nothing else is required. Let your character gulp STR enhancing potions and/or use STR-enhancing items. Kite with one character and just throw daggers till Sarevok falls. STR+throwing daggers are amazing in BG1.

I managed to kill Sarevok with duo of monks - while my monk kited him Rasaad kept throwing daggers.

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @JuliusBorisov: Why isn't he resisting half the damage?
    @joluv Why would he resist physical damage?
    @Yelocessej: Sarevok resists missile damage. Here's his character sheet when I ctrl+Q him:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    That pic is taken pre-2.0 patch, when the game didn't show information about resistance to damage.
    @JuliusBorisov: I'm still confused. Before 2.0 the game didn't show how much damage was resisted, but I thought it did correctly report how much damage was done. And Rasaad can't deal 26 damage with a throwing dagger on a non-critical hit. Do I have something wrong here?
    @joluv Wow, I never noticed that.
  • dac0152dac0152 Member Posts: 54
    I like to save two (one still works but two is better) Protection from Magic scrolls for my two tankiest characters. Then cast Teleport Field and Cloudkill in the center of the map, have both tanks equip ranged weapons, position one of the tanks at the closest edge of the field as a buffer between him and the rest of the party, then have the other one stroll into the middle of the field and start launching arrows of detonation at Sarevok and Co.

You do have to pay attention so that Arrow of Detonation guy doesn't murder your own party, so you can switch to Arrows of Dispelling afterwards or Arrows of Biting. Then you can just have your mages throw whatever they want to into the field since your characters on the front line have Protection from Magic on. If your characters outside the field get picked up by one of the cronies, just toss them the Boots of Speed and have them run into the field and out to shake them.