Skip to content

So being transgender is not a mental illness.

BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
edited May 2016 in Off-Topic
I wanted to address this because it was brought up so many times during the forum's own time of troubles.

The claim was made that the WHO views "being transgender" as a mental illness and that it is bad to legitimize mental illness. The first part of this is not entirely accurate. The ICD-10 does categorize gender identity disorder as a mental illness, but WHO and the ICD-11 is moving away from that definition.
TGEU welcomes that in the ICD 11 beta draft section 7: Mental and behavioural disorders (used to be section F in the ICD 10) the category ”gender identity disorders” has been removed. As well other stigmatizing categories from the former F65 category such as Fetishism, Fetishistic transvestitism or sadomasochism do not show any more.

The WHO proposes a ”gender incongruence” category under the new section 6: ”Conditions related to sexual health”. The new category includes both Gender incongruence of adolescence and adulthood (6A50) and Gender incongruence of childhood (6A51). Not labelling trans people as mentally ill anymore will be an important step forward and will help to reduce stigma.

To include ”Gender incongruence of adolescence and adulthood” in the sexual health category is something that trans human rights NGOs such as Global Action for Trans* Equality (GATE), Stop Trans Pathologization (STP) and Transgender Europe (TGEU) have been demanding. However, the definition needs to be clearly focusing on trans people with a need for medical treatment.
In the US, the DSM-5 and the APA have already moved away from that definition.
In the old DSM-IV, GID focused on the “identity” issue — namely, the incongruity between someone’s birth gender and the gender with which he or she identifies. While this incongruity is still crucial to gender dysphoria, the drafters of the new DSM-5 wanted to emphasize the importance of distress about the incongruity for a diagnosis. (The DSM-5 uses the term gender rather than sex to allow for those born with both male and female genitalia to have the condition.)

This shift reflects recognition that the disagreement between birth gender and identity may not necessarily be pathological if it does not cause the individual distress, said Robin Rosenberg, a clinical psychologist and co-author of the psychology textbook “Abnormal Psychology” (Worth Publishers, 2009). For instance, many transgender people — those who identify with a gender different than the one they were assigned at birth — are not distressed by their cross-gender identification and should not be diagnosed with gender dysphoria, Rosenberg said.

Transgender people and their allies have pointed out that distress in gender dysphoria is not an inherent part of being transgender. This sets it apart from many other disorders in the DSM, because if someone is depressed, for example, he or she is, almost by definition, distressed as part of depression. In contrast, the distress that accompanies gender dysphoria arises as a result of a culture that stigmatizes people who do not conform to gender norms, Rosenberg said.

In this regard, the change resembles the elimination of homosexuality from the manual 40 years ago.
Now, I'm not trying to throw mentally ill people under the bus ('cause I am one of them) so I will add that there is nothing wrong with legitimizing mental illness. I certainly appreciate it when my mental illness is treated as a legitimate, valid issue rather than whatever not legitimizing mental illness involves. Part of treating mental illness as legitimate is understanding which treatments are available, which treatments actually work, and ensuring that mentally ill clients receive necessary support and treatment.
Post edited by BelleSorciere on

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Even classifying psychological distress about gender dysphoria as a mental disorder is problematic, though, because it sort of implicitly suggests that treatment should be primarily/exclusively psychiatric. It seems to be the case that transitioning is the most effective treatment, which makes it very different from anorexia or other types of body dysmorphia.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    And for trans people in general, this study shows that transition for people who need it results in a dramatic improvement in their mental health.

I posted a link in another thread that I can't seem to find again (the thread or the link) which showed an aggregate of multiple studies conducted since ~2004 showing that transition nearly always has positive outcomes for trans people.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

And for trans people in general, this study shows that transition for people who need it results in a dramatic improvement in their mental health.

I posted a link in another thread that I can't seem to find again (the thread or the link) which showed an aggregate of multiple studies conducted since ~2004 showing that transition nearly always has positive outcomes for trans people.

Do you mean this comment in this thread?
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Thank you very much! That is precisely the comment I couldn't find.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    This seems like as good a place as any to share the all-time great facepalm that happens in the last second of this video.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    What next! I bet they will claim religion isn't a mental illness too!