Skip to content

Worth playing another time?

BG2 is my favorite game ever. Played it several times growing up. Nearly did a full run of BG2:EE when it came out.

I was thinking about doing a complete BG1 -> 2 -> TOB run again. Has there been any new good mods (read positive reviews for the completed Imoen rommod, for example) and expansions in the last couple of years that makes it worth doing? Anything that carries over from BG1 to 2?

Comments

• OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    Your main character's stats are the only real things that carry over. Though I think the Helm of Balduran does as well.

I'd always say do another run. Are you planning on doing EE or Vanilla?
  • MMMMKMMMMK Member Posts: 30
    SCS (Sword Coast Stratagems), BGT (Baldur's Gate Trilogy), Ascension, Banter Packs, BGtweaks, and Unfinished Business come immediately to mind. SCS and BGtweaks at a minimum, they really revolutionized the game for me...although I think they require BGT anyway. I almost consider Ascension an auto-include as well because it really spices up ToB. The NPC Project for BG1 is a good idea if you find BG1 a little dull (I do).

A word of warning that the order in which you install the mods is important... this thread will help as will the readme files of the bigger mods:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1

• doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Whole heartedly agree with @MMMMK .
    You should consider dungeon be gone as well so you can skip chateau irenicus in the beginning of BG EE II
  • TedronaiTedronai Member Posts: 20
    Onestep said:

Your main character's stats are the only real things that carry over. Though I think the Helm of Balduran does as well.

Ah, that sucks. I was hoping some new content from the BG1EE would have carried over.

Is it the same for the expansion pack that came out recently? Does anything carryover to 2?

MMMMK said:

SCS (Sword Coast Stratagems), BGT (Baldur's Gate Trilogy), Ascension, Banter Packs, BGtweaks, and Unfinished Business come immediately to mind. SCS and BGtweaks at a minimum, they really revolutionized the game for me...although I think they require BGT anyway. I almost consider Ascension an auto-include as well because it really spices up ToB. The NPC Project for BG1 is a good idea if you find BG1 a little dull (I do).

A word of warning that the order in which you install the mods is important... this thread will help as will the readme files of the bigger mods:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1

Any good quest, NPC, or romance mods that came out in the last few years?
  • Lezard_ValethLezard_Valeth Member Posts: 70
    This series is worth replaying over 100 times.
  • MMMMKMMMMK Member Posts: 30
    Tedronai said:

Any good quest, NPC, or romance mods that came out in the last few years?

Well, Unfinished Business and Ascension are purely quest mods and SCS has several components that also greatly change certain encounters ("Tactical Challenges" which are usually quite difficult, actually). Other than that, look through the link I posted and you'll find lots of quest and NPC mods. I usually stay away from those kind of mods, so I can't really recommend any.
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    edited May 2016
    Onestep said:

The helm and a few other items do, but the helm is the default for that slot, so it'll be there anyway if you don't have anything else (the defaults are usually the best choices anyway, unless you're soloing a mage or something). Afaik the only item that carries over that doesn't replace something superior is:
    the golden pantaloons.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    If you have not played with the Enhanced Editions, then the three new NPCs from the first game continue their stories in Shadows of Amn, and on into Throne of Bhaal. The latest rounds of patching allow a few more items to carry over from BGEE into Irenicus Dungeon at the start of BG2EE, and I would ignore the advice to install Dungeon Be Gone unless you have played the opening dungeon so many times that you really can't face it again. I think it comes in for a lot of undue criticism, simply as it is a means to starting over the game game, building up your PC from essentially nothing again. That can still be fun, even without the new EE tweaks waiting to be found.

In addition to the 3 NPCs from BGEE, there is a 4th added just for BG2EE, who is most interesting if you trend towards evil parties.

And of course, there is always the option of running through the new Siege of Dragonspear adventure between the two main games - although you have to have bought through BeamDog, Steam, or GoG to be compatible with your EE installation.