Skip to content

Is this something to be exited about?

DwalinDwalin Member Posts: 4
I know baldur's gate is awesome and all, but is this enhanced edition all so great?

I will buy it and I realize that its pretty cheap but, you know they made the interface higher res(no one cares),
They improved the "smoothness" and they added a couple of quests/npc's.

That alone is "reasonably okay" but it didn't seem like what I expected when I heard about it the first time it was "announced".

They didn't add stuff like increased loot and make it more dynamic, add in more cool monsters. Add in some spells. Re-work the warrior, since that class is kind of dull... or actually improved the graphics to something better then its current state, with todays technology it wouldn't take "that long" And when I say improve the graphics I don't mean like change the graphic style to make it not feel like a baldur's gate game, I'm saying improve the graphics but keep that darkish tone. I'm not saying that graphics matter everything, but since its a different game, they might have added more then zoom in zoom out, lol...

Those are just throw in suggestions made in a couple of seconds, cmon guys, you can do better then this!

Comments

• DwalinDwalin Member Posts: 4
    Make loot dynamic as in effect the gameplay a little more.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited October 2012
    Dwalin said:

they made the interface higher res(no one cares)

The widescreen mod is one of the most downloaded mods for Baldur's Gate.

As for all your other points, you are missing out a lot, such as the BG2 engine and all the bugfixes without having to install any mods, plus support for non-PC platforms, plus multiplayer that actually works. I'd buy it just for those things, but they are also adding new story content and a new kit (it is actually a kit for the Paladin, so your complaint about "warriors" is being addressed). Random loot and stuff like that is more a matter of opinion but personally I don't like it and neither do the devs, apparently.

They can't change the graphics to the extent of making it HD because the source art assets were lost by Bioware years ago and each map is hand drawn, you can't simply replicate it at higher resolution. It would mean completely redrawing the entire game from scratch, so it would take "that long".

I think there might be "cool new monsters" in the Black Pits module.
    Post edited by Communard on
  • CyricSpawnCyricSpawn Member Posts: 74
    Plus in @trentoster has said there will be new gear etc. also try getting BG on a tablet then playing from device to device with cloud. C'mon the project is awesome. Sure everyone wanted HD graphics but it can't be done its not the devs fault. Well not these ones
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Worth the twenty bucks for multiplayer/coop on a tablet, imo.

Also worth the twenty bucks not to have to mess with half a dozen mods to fix outstanding issues and weird BG2/IE gameplay issues.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Communard for clarification, the Blackguard kit is a paladin kit, not a fighter. Still a warrior class, just not the one you say it is.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Aosaw said:

@Communard for clarification, the Blackguard kit is a paladin kit, not a fighter. Still a warrior class, just not the one you say it is.

Does this mean that if Dorn is put into BGII:EE he'd be able to use Carsomyr? I cna't recall whether the weapon is locked to Paladins only or also to a certain alignment.

• CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Aosaw said:

Thanks, edited
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

Aosaw said:

Does this mean that if Dorn is put into BGII:EE he'd be able to use Carsomyr? I cna't recall whether the weapon is locked to Paladins only or also to a certain alignment.

It's possible, although I think Carsomyr might find itself being modified to only allow good-aligned paladins; or to specifically disallow Blackguards.

At the same time, there is a weapon already in BG2 that is only usable by "antipaladins", which is what a blackguard is. So you'll probably be able to use that.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    @Dwalin I agree with pretty much everything you said (I'm not particularly bothered about randomising loot though). I was really excited when EE was announced, but since my interest has waned. When the front page of this site was updated and information about the new NPCs and Black Pits emerged I thought great, but assumed there was more coming, which there isn't. There isn't really much going on that I can't get from spending 15 minutes installing some mods.

On top of that, the community engagement in terms of what they've actually shown us, is really, really bad.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Actually, there are more spells in BGEE than in BG1. Also more items and more monster types.
    Maybe not enough, but definitely more.
    And the graphics is actually improved, but i thought you don't care about higher res.
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    Bug fixes! Yaaaaay! I'd dump 30$ on plenty of old games if they were rereleased with massive bug fixes, greater multiplayer support, and compatability with current devices/consoles/computers WITHOUT mucking up the current content. If I wanted creatures all rearranged, I would have just gotten a mod.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I don't have much to add to this topic. I said why I support BG:EE in the poll thread about why people support it.

My friends here are getting to know teacherly, pedantic, me, so I can't resist saying this little tidbit:

You must actually be asking why people DON'T support BG:EE, since you have asked people why they are "exiting" from buying it. LOL.

I do believe you meant "exciting". And if that was merely a typo, then I can totally see myself making the same mistake, and bearing the embarassment of it, if I were trying to type too fast, and not proofread my own title line.

But, if it's that you don't know how to spell "exciting", then, shame on you.

...The solemn Belgarath raises an eyebrow and gives a deep, throaty, 'harrumph', while pulling the corners of his mouth into a tight frown, shaking his head, and then *exiting* (pun intended) the podium...
  • DwalinDwalin Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2012

I don't have much to add to this topic. I said why I support BG:EE in the poll thread about why people support it.

My friends here are getting to know teacherly, pedantic, me, so I can't resist saying this little tidbit:

You must actually be asking why people DON'T support BG:EE, since you have asked people why they are "exiting" from buying it. LOL.

I do believe you meant "exciting". And if that was merely a typo, then I can totally see myself making the same mistake, and bearing the embarassment of it, if I were trying to type too fast, and not proofread my own title line.

But, if it's that you don't know how to spell "exciting", then, shame on you.

...The solemn Belgarath raises an eyebrow and gives a deep, throaty, 'harrumph', while pulling the corners of his mouth into a tight frown, shaking his head, and then *exiting* (pun intended) the podium...

Huh? Grammar nazis not having an argument 3 October 1935.... English is not my native tongue btw.

Anyways it seems all they did was smooth out tiny details and add some other minor things then make it more accessible to people who were speaking different languages and make it playable on other devices.

But so little was changed gameplay vise except maybe ZOOM IN! OMG SO GREAT! (sarcasm)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2012
    @Dwalin, hmm, ...strokes beard and turns to a colleague..., perhaps fun and roleplaying are not his native languages either.

Come on, my friend, it was a joke. If you really didn't know how to spell "exciting" in English, then you should be taking the opportunity to learn, and if it was a typo, then, I would say, lighten up.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    It's an All-Weekend chore for me to get Baldur's Gate+BG2 running on my computer. Then I need to get Tutu running but that's easy once everything else is working. That's not even with any extra mods either. Just saving me two days of my life is worth the $20 to me.
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    @Dwalin

It is an enhancement of a 14 year old game. Read some of the threads and you will find out that Overhaul is limited in many respects by their agreement with those who own the rights to the game. It will never be a "new" Baldur's Gate. I'm good if they just upgrade the graphics so it looks good on my 32" flat screen. Anything else is gravy.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Dwalin said:

Huh? Grammar nazis not having an argument 3 October 1935.... English is not my native tongue btw.

Anyways it seems all they did was smooth out tiny details and add some other minor things then make it more accessible to people who were speaking different languages and make it playable on other devices.

But so little was changed gameplay vise except maybe ZOOM IN! OMG SO GREAT! (sarcasm)

It's a re-make to make it more accessible to newer operating systems, and actually make things like multiplayer usable. It's not a new game. Why are you looking for completely revamped gameplay? I like the old gameplay, that's why this is still my favorite game of all time.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Dwalin said:

And thank god for that. What exactly do you propose they do for gameplay changes?
    @salieri well said

For one thing at least 4 or 5 of my friends who would never in a million years install a game with as much man hours to fix up will be getting this and then playing it. Just for the whole new crowd and openness of the game it's great!
  • NightfallRobNightfallRob Member Posts: 43
    Trying to avoid flaming you OP, as I'm sure there will be plenty of that headed your way in fairly short order. For me, the fact that the game is being kept close to the original is a huge part of the selling point. I hope the two remakes (and IWD remakes and Planescape remake, if they do them) stick to the original graphics and content as much as possible.
    IF they make BG 3, then I wouldn't mind a total updating of graphics, features, etc. It's a new game, go ahead and use the new tech. But the remakes I'm nostalgically looking forward to playing in as close a form as possible to the originals. I think part of the reason they haven't updated past a certain point is that a lot of us feel similarly and they understand their market.
    BG isn't going to appeal to people interested in the newest tech. Like Diablo 3, it will mostly appeal to the people who remember what came before and want to play something very similar, if not nearly the same, to the original games.
    Well said!

Accessibility and the same great game we all loved working better than ever! aweaome
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited October 2012
    I'll admit to a certain decrease in anticipation as time goes on - it's become more and more evident that the EE's most visible and cited improvements are specifically gameplay-related, which holds very little appeal for me. I'm no modder, but I managed to get a few basic components installed and played the games off GOG with zero technical issues.

It comes down to this: I'm the sort who prioritizes story and plot in video games, and that just doesn't seem to be a priority (or a possibility) for the EE. Dorn, Neera and Rasaad sound like interesting characters, but I'm no longer certain I can justify supporting the EE based solely on that.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Yeah man, it's worth getting "exited" about. This is one of the greatest games of all-time, and now we can actually play it! If you want to buy it, you need to pony up $9.99 at GOG.com. Instead, you can spend an extra ten bucks and get it with a whole slew of bells and whistles (high resolution support, iPad support, new stuff, fixes, etc). If you don't like the original game, you are not going to like this. But, if you loved it, yeah, why wouldn't you be "exited"?
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    Just because you are not excited about it, doesn't mean the rest of us isn't. Besides if this project takes off there is the possibility of a Baldur's Gate III. If BG:EE wouldn't be worth it somehow (to me it's more than worth it) just the possibility of seeing a BG3 is worth my cash.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012

Actually, there are more spells in BGEE than in BG1. Also more items and more monster types.
    Maybe not enough, but definitely more.
    And the graphics is actually improved, but i thought you don't care about higher res.

The upscaled sprites, from screen shots, do look noticeably better. It looks like you can zoom in quite a bit and still have a decent image. I'm really looking forward to some video footage.

• AyurukAyuruk Member Posts: 20
    Continue to support bg and the ee editions and maybe we will see a bg3 one day.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Ayuruk said:

Continue to support bg and the ee editions and maybe we will see a bg3 one day.

This is the way I see it. The Baldur's Gate games were the best. If my support can help to continue the success of the franchise, I am all in. And if we never see a BG3 (nothing is guaranteed here), at the very least, I'm going to enjoy what I've purchased to the fullest extent. I've been watching a lot of baseball lately, so here is my analogy of the evening. Bases loaded, down by a run, late innings. If you pop it up deep, you are probably getting a run, and you'll be happy about it. That's what BG:EE is. But, if the guy drives it over the fence and you are plating four, phew, that's BG3. Yeah.
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    Dwalin said:

I know baldur's gate is awesome and all, but is this enhanced edition all so great?

Yes, it is. We're very lucky to have a very dated game refurbished, but most importantly, untarnished (hopefully). And $20 is darn cheap.

At least they didn't pull a Blizzard - they charged $60 for a "refurbished" Diablo 2 and it's not even nearly as good as the original. :] So quit your whining!