Skip to content

Paper manuals

Is it possible to get the manuals in paper format? (Apart from printing them myself, of course).

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Yes. You can pay someone to print them for you.

What are you expecting, "call to get your copy sent to you, free of charge"? This isn't the 1980s you know.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    Nope, this is the 2010s, we don't call people to order things no more. We order them online. Except for Baldur's Gate manuals, apparently.
    I'm sure you can order print-outs online if you send in a file, and have it mailed to you. Probably on some nice paper and stuff, all bound and everything.

Just don't expect Beamdog to have it on order, because no one would buy it. Well, you. But no one else.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited May 2016
    I must admit I used to mock a colleague of mine who religiously printed out every e-mail he received. Now however, many years later, I do the same myself - I just find it easier to refer to 'written' information than switching backwards and forwards between screens, which causes me to lose my train of thought. So now I have a file of BG-related web pages that I've printed up and keep next to my 2nd edition handbook.
    edited May 2016
    ---this reply will appear in 2-3 business days as it has been sent in via postal service---
    You mean the second edition of AD&D?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I still have my 2e PHB and DMG right by the computer. If Beamdog offered nice bound manuals for SoD and the EE games I would buy them. I like the feel of books, makes me feel more like old times around the tables with my friends. :)

---this reply will appear in 2-3 business days as it has been sent in via postal service---

You seem a bit too modern for a fan of medieval like RPGs ;)
    Alonso said:

You mean those games that run on a device smarter than the brains of all the world's population in 1300 put together?

I'm sure there's an abacus version of BG, somewhere.

Alonso said:

You mean those games that run on a device smarter than the brains of all the world's population in 1300 put together?

I'm sure there's an abacus version of BG, somewhere.
    Yep, I mean those games that are so smart they almost make you feel like you're a part of the world's population in 1300. Except for the fact that they require you to check a PDF document now and then, that is.

Believe it or not, I hear there is a version of BG that uses medieval like technology. Apparently, they use modern versions of graphite bars, parchments and abacuses. The modern version of the abacus seems to be something called "dyes" or something like that.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited May 2016
    It's certainly not a feasible solution for everyone, but even a cheap tablet makes for a fantastic PDF reader. Plus you save on trees! I have about 250+ game manuals in my iBooks library, enough to insult a small forest if they were physical copies.
    The hyper-linking within a document ability sells it for me.
    jackjack said:

It's certainly not a feasible solution for everyone, but even a cheap tablet makes for a fantastic PDF reader. Plus you save on trees! I have about 250+ game manuals in my iBooks library, enough to insult a small forest if they were physical copies.

Sure, I use my tablet frequently for technical books the same way, but for DnD I just prefer the feel of paper. :)
    edited May 2016
    The parchment background used on many CRPG manuals (including the EE games) help, but ultimately there's no arguing your point. There's a reason I still buy paperbacks.

You could always create home-made papyrus and scribe the game manual on the pages with ink and quill.
    Takes a bit longer than printing it out, but feels so much more authentic! Also helps to cope with ones boredom. :wink:

FINALLY! We have a winner here! That's just the kind of solution I was looking for :D
  • MalbethMalbeth Member Posts: 27
    If you look around the internet for an older version of the game it should include some of the original materials.

The first couples copies of BG I purchased included:
    - Manual (with Volo and Elminister banter)
    - paper map of the sword coast and the City
    - handy reference card

Later versions (comes in a normal size video game box with CDs in paper circa 2003, instead of the long Baldur's Gate CD carrier for all 5 discs originally released, or the "all 4 games in one" copy circa 2008) include the reference guide and map but not the full manual.
    What's that reference card like? Do you have any pictures around?
    mf2112 said:

I still have my 2e PHB and DMG right by the computer. If Beamdog offered nice bound manuals for SoD and the EE games I would buy them. I like the feel of books, makes me feel more like old times around the tables with my friends. :)

You mean you use the AD&D to understand what goes on in BG? I thought about it at some point, but I imagined there would be too many differences and it would be too cumbersome to find out what works the same and what was adapted for the game...
    Alonso said:

mf2112 said:

You mean you use the AD&D to understand what goes on in BG? I thought about it at some point, but I imagined there would be too many differences and it would be too cumbersome to find out what works the same and what was adapted for the game...
    There are a number of differences, true, but I am frequently happy at how much came through intact. Plus it is interesting to see the differences and try to find out why it is different.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    [shameless plug]

The Collector's Edition comes with nice bound manuals (among other delightful goodies). link

We don't have any concrete plans to release printed manuals on their own. I definitely empathize with wanting them for your gaming shelf, though!

[/shameless plug]
    I know, if I didn't already own all the games for pc and Android I would have bought it.
    Malbeth said:

If you look around the internet for an older version of the game it should include some of the original materials.

Nice idea. But I'd imagine the original manuals must be a bit outdated by now, with all the enhancements and modifications, no?

Dee said:

[shameless plug]

The Collector's Edition comes with nice bound manuals (among other delightful goodies). link

We don't have any concrete plans to release printed manuals on their own. I definitely empathize with wanting them for your gaming shelf, though!

[/shameless plug]

Ooops, a bit pricey. I still have a lot of asses to kick in BG2, though, so I might check back when I'm finished in case it's become more affordable by then. I guess there's no equivalent for BGEE or BG2EE, right?
    edited May 2016
    Alonso said:

Malbeth said:

Nice idea. But I'd imagine the original manuals must be a bit outdated by now, with all the enhancements and modifications, no?

Yes, not that the originals were all that accurate to begin with.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Alonso said:

Nope, this is the 2010s, we don't call people to order things no more. We order them online. Except for Baldur's Gate manuals, apparently.

We also have this great new format called "PDF". It's really great, and allows one to print off things in the convenience of their own home.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    jackjack said:

@jackjack
    Freaking environmentalist, tree-hugging Druid! Cut down all the trees to make manuals, I say! We need less fresh water and breathable air in this world, I say! Burn down the rainforests, all of them, every last square inch, I say!

That being said, I loved...absolutely loved...some of those older games that didn't have an in-games maps, like star control 2 and magic candle. The quality of older games like that just can't be beat. Plus there's something about not being spoon fed every quest and having a magic compass tell you exactly where to go (looking at you, oblivion). The effort that went into some of those games (programmed in hexcode! HEXCODE!!!) was just topped off by the high quality maps and paper manuals.

Ok...nostalgia glasses off and reality check.
    I don't want my games to feel like work anymore.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Alonso said:

Neat! :)