Skip to content

What is an RPG?

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
edited May 2016 in Off-Topic
Okay
So
I love this debate.
What is an RPG?
I mean video game RPGs as opposed to PnP RPGs.

I've heard that an RPG is a game that uses statistics, is story focused, and has classes and such.
I've heard it's any game where you play a "role" which often times means every game is an RPG.
I've heard it's a game where you play you're own self-chosen role within the parameters of the game environment.
I've heard countless other definitions that clash and none seem to ever get anywhere so in the end the debate is pointless but I always find it to be fun and engaging.
What do you think an RPG is?

For me personally I think an RPG is any game where you create your protagonist and roleplay within the game world and the game facilitates roleplaying. Thereby I would say that most, not all, JRPGs are games with elements of RPGs but aren't RPGs. Action games like Dark Souls are RPGs because of the character creation process and choice of gameplay style and story motivations within the game world.

The Witcher is a strange case but again I'd just say it as RPG elements in choice of dialogue and such.

My reasoning for this is that when I started playing D&D I saw there is limitless potential for roleplaying within it to act as your character. I like to think there's a spectrum of roleplay.

Full Roleplay (PnP RPGs- - - - - Baldur's Gate, NWN, Dark Souls- - - - Gold Box Games, Final Fantasy I - - - - Witcher - - - Other Final Fantasies, "Tales of" series) very little roleplaying.

A second definition which is the one I use usually is, "The Intent of playing the game defines the genre."

Do you buy a game to roleplay? Probably an RPG. By a game to do cool combos and flashy moves? Probably a character-action game. That sort of thing.

Another definition as by the producer of Tales of the Abyss stated that the game was not an RPG. He said an RPG is a game where you live the life of an alter-ego within a game's setting and that Tales of the Abyss was not your alter-ego but rather people with predefined backstories.

Disagree with me? Tell me why. I want your definition on what an RPG is and why you say that's what it is.

This thread was sparked by a comment by @Buttercheese and the countless debates I've had with my IRL friends.

Edit: My spectrum wasn't showing up so changed from arrows to parentheses.
Post edited by Vallmyr on

Comments

• ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Haven't got a satisfactory answer to give you : I usually go by something like what our resident ooze @Kamigoroshi said (the choice bit, not the combat bit. I'm perfectly happy with calling non-combat games RPGs seeing as nothing in "role-playing game" seems to imply fighting) but even then can see limits to that reasoning : what about the choice to not do something? Is a bonus level enough to turn something into an RPG? I'd say no, but :

Ultimately the choice would have to change how the player perceives his avatar, because that is the essence of roleplaying. The problem with that definition is that it leaves the decision of whether or not the game is an RPG to the player, making it subjective.

My guess is that the term RPG is not really appropriate for video games, or at least for most of them. Video games are defined by their rules, but an RPG is defined by how the players choose to play it.
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    I agree with @Vallmyr for the most part.

Although the edges of the definition are blurred, for me, an RPG is a game where you can create and develop your protagonist and have the freedom of choice to guide that character through the game in a unique and personally customised way.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Zelda is more a platform adventure, Deus Ex, Witcher or Mass Effect would be better examples of action RPGs
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    The only comment I really disagree in this thread is the assertion that an RPG requires combat to be an RPG. That's needlessly narrow and rather misses the point.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    To settle the question, what is a role playing? :blush:
    Role playing is taking on a role and pretending to be that role. That is, pretending to be someone else. In D&D, that someone else can be an elf, gnome, tiefling, etc. and can also be a fighter, cleric, wizard, etc. In RPGs in general, there are rules to govern interactions such as combat to avoid simple fiat.
    Just for clarity, my definition is a tabletop definition. Video games are much murkier and I think a lot of RPG elements make it into games that are not technically RPGs as well as a lot of action game, strategy, etc. elements make it into games that are technically RPGs. By tabletop definitions I don't think any computer game really qualifies, but I'm not so much of a purist that I actually put that into practice.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @typo_tilly Oh, I am aware that it doesn't matter, really o.o
    But that doesn't matter either, really.

You see, it's not about the bigger picture. It's about what happens in the moment.
    Baldur's Gate didn't nail the roleplaying aspect because you get to decide in the end what happens at the Throne of Bhaal. The story is ultimately mostly set in stone as well. Ultimately you will face your destiny. What matters, is that you can change the little things. The world still reacts to you accordingly.

Tell an NPC your name and he'll leave you alone. Tell him that you are a rampaging horde of tarasques and he will get annoyed at you. But ultimately, it makes no difference. What matters is that it feels like it does.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    edited May 2016
    I would see "high-low-fantasy" RPG's as story driven games that have evolved on feet of mithril (*) of D&D, greatly inspired by Tolkien.

Story is at par with combat mechanics, at least.

But study finds that we are conditioned to "roleplay" - so a game like tetris or boulder dash probably has almost zero role play elements. But even Scorch (old school round-based tank battle) produced passions for our tanks, because we could name them - and best battles were ones where we named each others tanks, actually! Yet still today, "Tummy of Steel" is a tank I remember, with a wish Scorch classic will return.

I'd think anything allowing empathy, passion, identification or personification shall have also RPG "elements."

Edit. Sorry, forgot to add (*) footnote to make this reference clear. As opposed to biblical "feet of clay." (plus eliminated double have from last line since I already had edit going)
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    @Buttercheese

This is what I actually appreciate about "illusion of choice" options. For me it's less about what the reaction is and more about me being able to choose a line that my character would say.

Let's make a hypothetical situation.
    Say there's a D&D game that uses the alignment system and you can shift alignments based on actions/dialogue.

Maybe there's a conversation that goes A _ E. _ is where you get the chance to put B, C, or D.
    So maybe A B E and you say something good, +1 to good alignment.
    A C E and it's neutral, nothing happens.
    A D E and it's evil, you go +1 towards evil.

The beginning and end of the conversation was the same regardless but that little choice to decide how your character speaks is what matters even if there is only the illusion of choice. Even if you take away the alignment system so that there is no mechanical benefit to each answer it still lets you respond in a way that defines your character.
    Vallmyr said:

@Buttercheese

This is what I actually appreciate about "illusion of choice" options. For me it's less about what the reaction is and more about me being able to choose a line that my character would say.

Hope you have given Dragon Age 2 a shot? On that grounds you'd be much empowered, possibly.

I perso love the combat, some might dislike. Most importantly I find the writing most profound in gaming since Planescape Torment. The dungeons are very "go green" though - i.e. recycled. But to me this is less important than story overall.
    DA2 makes me angry .... don't even start -.-'
    I like DA2 from a, "Oh man, snarky Hawk is the best thing ever." stand point but I hate playing humans in RPGs >_>

I do appreciate the game for what it is, though.

DA2 makes me angry .... don't even start -.-'

I am actually sorry to hear that, Buttercheese. If I have an impulse to game, DA2 is always there - I love, love it. Wish you could, too.

My love stands supreme, so I am actually quite curious to hear what bothers you about it. Please tell - I'd like to know! And thx.
    Vallmyr said:

I like DA2 from a, "Oh man, snarky Hawk is the best thing ever." stand point but I hate playing humans in RPGs >_>

I do appreciate the game for what it is, though.

Roll many races, roll many classes would be important to you in an RPG I take it? To me, it is depth of story and characters.

DA:O managed pretty well to reconcile what you and I like both.

But between DA2 and DA:I, you'll prefer the latter unlike me, I take it?
    edited May 2016
    No no, don't get me wrong. I actually like DA2.
    It makes me mostly angry because it didn't manage to fill those large footprints it's predacessor had left.
    On it's own it's pretty great. In the bigger picture ... not so much -.-

That and the utterly terrible level and armor designs .... I better shut up.

PS: I LOVE ANDERS :heart::heart::heart:
    Thx for posting @Buttercheese

But I've been at it since BG2 - and I've elevated PS:T at par with DA:2 having played BW, Larian, Obsidian, Bethesda consistently, and bearing a definite torch for Reality Pump. (Yea Two Worlds III!)

Can you please explain what made those footprints large? I will try and verbalize alike, too. -)
    Well, DA is a strange case.

I loved DA:O and have replayed it many times.
    DA2 played did it once, was like ok this is alright.

Then I had force myself through DA:I
    Like I had to push through 80 hours to beat the game and was told my friends it was super good. Between Corypheus being the most boring person ever and playing with the horrible PC controls exited the game feeling "meh."

That's not to say the dialogue choices were particularly bad or the class design was bad but it's my least favorite of the three because it felt to me like Bioware had no idea what they were trying to make. It's half action, and half Rtwp but neither worked well at all >_>.

My male Elf Necromancer did try to romance Sera though and even though he kept getting rejected he just kept trying.

I also loved Scout Harding though I was frustrated that you could only flirt with her and even though she accepted it and was like, "Hey, after all this let's go to a tavern together." she never progresses beyond that point because Bioware doesn't like having female dwarf romance options or something.

Anywayyyyy, I value customization A LOT. DA:O had a lot of this but then DA2 and DA: I was like, "OH! YOU LIKE BARDS!? PFFTT GONE. OH YOU LIKE USING WARRIORS WITH BOWS?! PFFTT GONE!"

>_>
    I don't like recent Bioware as much as I use to.
    /mini rant over.
    I am sorta glad you do not like DA:I @Vallmyr - I am cold and bothered about it purely on classic PC gaming grounds - M&KB should work for actual gaming joyand all that.

Here I am more tetris than RPG - a PC game cannot be a minimal day zero console port, a PC game should have adopted interface, not forgetting mouse clicks (on the ground), auto attack, auto looting - etc.

DA:I is an RPG, but it is not really meant well for PC gamers, from my perspective.

But just because I do not like it, it makes DA:I no less an RPG, or less loved one.

Why is definition so important, anyhow?
    I really liked DA:O, so well designed, paced, characters were deep and engaging and the story felt epic.

DA2 was terrible

DA:I was good to begin with but the more I played the more bored i became til I eventually stopped about half way through :/

Just didn't grab me like origins did and felt like it was lacking in so many areas...environments were pretty tho i guess...

No no, don't get me wrong. I actually like DA2.
    It makes me mostly angry because it didn't manage to fill those large footprints it's predacessor had left.
    On it's own it's pretty great. In the bigger picture ... not so much -.-

That and the utterly terrible level and armor designs .... I better shut up.

PS: I LOVE ANDERS :heart::heart::heart:

I have to admit Anders was pretty awesome but no game can survive soley on the charms of one character...even if that character is Anders