Skip to content

[BG2] Goblins in Irenicus' Dungeon Use Composite Longbows

Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
edited July 2013 in Fixed
Current Behavior:
- The goblins in Irenicus' dungeon in the beginning use and drop composite longbows. I'm not sure what goblin stats are in the game, but they're supposed to be super weak, so they shouldn't meet the 18 STR requirement of composite longbows.

Expected Behavior:
- Have the goblins use regular longbows or shortbows.
Post edited by AndreaColombo on
MatteoTuriniMyvalKenjimch202SwordsNotWords

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    Hmm, isn't this a BGT thing, rather than a BG2 thing?

The weapon should be a Long Bow. BGT may of switched them to Composite.

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/allclasses/smallwalk.html#Goblins1
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    It's a BG2 bug as well. The spawned goblin archers are icgob01.cre - they use bow01.itm (composite long bow). They shouldn't be able to use normal longbows either, as longbows are about 6' long and goblins are about 3' tall as per PnP stats. (Also says in the long bow's description: "The long bow is similar to the short bow, except that the staff is about as high as the archer is, usually 6 to 6.5 feet." - should probably say *human* archer there :D). Anyway, I fixed this in Aurora's Shoes by giving them all bow05 instead and putting an extra longbow or two elsewhere in the dungeon since IIRC you can't otherwise get them before getting out.
    Awong124BrudeMatteoTuriniRad_Bbridge
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Could it be that these are "special" goblins who had their strength enhanced through one of Irenicus' experiments? That's how I justified it in my mind how an über-powerful Sorcerer would only have so many low-level minions serving him.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Maybe the goblins were exposed to gamma radiation and are very angry :)
    BrudeGriegSethDavisSamuelVarg
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    @bigdogchris I found this playing vanilla BG2.
    These are bogstandard level 1 goblins with normal attributes (9 strength). Also, there are potentially unlimited numbers of them since they come from spawns, like the mephits.
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    I looked up the size of a longbow from the Forgotten Realms Wiki. It's supposed to be 1,2 - 1,8 metres long. However, a goblin is smaller than that having a height of about 1 - 1,1 metres. Shouldn't it be more logical for them to use shortbows?
    @KolonKu - yes, that's what I said above (bow05.itm is a shortbow btw).
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    I always found it very strange that Irenicus tolerated so many goblins around him. Mephits, maybe. Duergar, definitely useful. The otyugh was there for experiments. A harem full of dryads? Hell yeah! But what would he use goblins for? A guy like him doesn't need any defense measures at all, besides there is that huge room of deadly wands. There is no reason to keep loud, dirty goblins around, I'd rather have them all removed from the dungeon and instead see some more mephits or some flesh golems.
    MikeMasters
    Maybe he just uses goblins for gruntwork or something. SCS2 changes them all to duergar I think. Not sure how I feel about that, though goblins are a bit low-level foes to be facing in BG2, even early on (unless they have shamans or subchiefs with them, which is done in Aurora).
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I know another mod replaces these gobelins with bugbears, they are much more deadly with their throwing axes (or whatever they hurl). Currently playing with Tactics and omg there are nasty duergars everywhere, I've been in Irenicus dungeon for a couple weeks now XD
    Mortianna
  • KasonKason Member Posts: 30
    cyberhawk said:

I always found it very strange that Irenicus tolerated so many goblins around him.

Cheap labor.

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    If you argue that Goblins can't use Composite Long Bows, then you can argue that Halflings and Gnome PCs can't use them either... and screw that! Haw :)

I thought weapon restrictions based on size weren't exactly enforced in BG...

At any rate, it might make more sense for them to have short bows... I agree with that. But as to a rule based on their size. I think that would change a lot.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @HaHaCharade
    It's not really the size that's an issue - it's the 18 strength minimum which is required which makes it a problem.
    HaHaCharadeAwong124
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    decado said:

@HaHaCharade
    It's not really the size that's an issue - it's the 18 strength minimum which is required which makes it a problem.

Cool