Skip to content

Memorable experiences from those early play-throughs.

2»

Comments

• KenKen Member Posts: 226
    I thought that the Ulcaster Ruins where scary! Rain, skeletons and many traps and creatures..

...Just a shame the payoff of the ruins is like, what, a few portions and a silly wand?
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    @UnseeyingEye

Yeah he's actually a big part of the plot in the Umar Hills quest. You need to pray to his altar to get a key or something, and you use his power to restore the forest and kill off all of the shadow creatures.

Well that's aside the point. Good quest, you should do it.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Learning that running a Mage as a main character on your first playthrough is probably not a very good idea.
  • batmanis64batmanis64 Member Posts: 11
    Embarrassing but memorable: The first time I played BG I didn't know that you could hit the space bar to pause the game and give commands. I remember making it to the Friendly Arm Inn thinking "man, this game takes some wicked coordination!"
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270

Embarrassing but memorable: The first time I played BG I didn't know that you could hit the space bar to pause the game and give commands. I remember making it to the Friendly Arm Inn thinking "man, this game takes some wicked coordination!"

My whole first playthrough was like that, don't think I learned about pausing till ToTSC
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    One of my favourites is the Ust Natha finale in BG2, double-crossing Phaere and Ardulace during their demon-summoning. The first time I played it I was literally sweating in my chair from tension, having an extremely tangible feeling of just how vulnerable my characters would be if anything went wrong. In spite of the entire scene taking place almost only in-dialogue, I found it and the lead-up to it more tense and dramatic than many actual battles.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I ran out of arrows while fighting the hoard at the Knoll stronghold. It was a fight to the bloody finish, leaving all but two party members dead by the time the last knoll was felled. Needless to say, it was tricky carrying the bodies back to town (potions of strength came in handy here).
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited October 2012
    I remember hearing several rumors (from peasant types) about ulcaster having some sort of portal in it. I went the whole dungeon expecting the portal to show up somewhere - I also blew almost all my money on potions and scrolls that I thought would be helpful against very powerful portaled-in type beings.... Only to find a giant pile of dead bodies and lots and lots of wolves. Not to mention that I walked around in that maze several times thinking that I missed an area exit to aforementioned portal room.
  • MrMagniloquentMrMagniloquent Member Posts: 1
    My part was deep within Durlag's tower. We were out of spells, potions, and critically wounded. I decided to attempt to rest, and then gracefully exit the tower. At that moment, Khalid and Jaheria got into yet another argument with Xzar and Montoron; however, this time it was more severe than usual.

Things quickly got out of hand, and all four NPCs became uncontrollable and begin butchering eachother! I sat their stunned and helpless as they tore eachother apart, leaving only a a near death Khalid standing covered in blood before the corpses.

I never knew such a thing was possible in a video game, and I never forgot it.
    @MrMagniloquent - And that story should be recited to any fool who claims that "Khalid sucks."
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122

@UnseeyingEye not played in a long time? remember the tiled floor trap-puzzle?

This was sooo Indiana Jonesish

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Khalid is indeed a good character. He might have a low morale but he has good constitution and dexterity. Give him the gloves of strength and he definitely rocks.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Having my sword break in the middle of a fight
    Followed by my armor
    Followed by my second sword I pulled from my bag
    Followed by my moral
    And then a Bondari reload, thinking, maybe I SHOULD go check out those mines.

• styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Armor didn't break in vanilla did it...?
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    stygga said:

Double-u tee eff is this "vanilla" everyone's talking about... other than flavour?

Przemkas said:

stygga said:

Double-u tee eff is this "vanilla" everyone's talking about... other than flavour?

Vanilla = unmodded game.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    edited October 2012
    Przemkas said:

@przemkas ha when i first came on the board i didn't have the balls to ask that question, had to wiki it!
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87

My part was deep within Durlag's tower. We were out of spells, potions, and critically wounded. I decided to attempt to rest, and then gracefully exit the tower. At that moment, Khalid and Jaheria got into yet another argument with Xzar and Montoron; however, this time it was more severe than usual.

Things quickly got out of hand, and all four NPCs became uncontrollable and begin butchering eachother! I sat their stunned and helpless as they tore eachother apart, leaving only a a near death Khalid standing covered in blood before the corpses.

I never knew such a thing was possible in a video game, and I never forgot it.

Wow, I just found a random Youtube video with a comment from you talking exactly about this. What are the odds?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLvi4u8IXas
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    The most memorable experience from BG1 was when I first played it. I really liked killing the hobgoblins around FAI and equipping my characters with the items that dropped from them.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    The miners at Neskel told me there were demons in the mines. I laughed when I found kobolds!

There was also the mad cleric and his family of undead!

Most of all, there was Melincamp, the talking chicken!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    stygga said:

I only played vanilla and it did. Rarely, but it did.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Figuring out that I could find and remove traps while invisible. It made me hate the Firewine Ruins a lot less. :)
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Um. When I returned to Nashkel on my second playthrough ever, and everyone was at like half health, and Nimbul showed up, I was all like, oh man I forgot about him, I am so screwed. So I paused the game and gave everyone orders. But I forgot to turn the AI off, and I had only given orders to half my party. So a magic missile and an arrow went flying at him from my charname and Imoen, respectively, but they only did like two or three damage combined, and then he started to cast. Then suddenly Xan, who had all of two HP left at the time, went charging at Nimbul with his Moonblade drawn, and I was like oh shit wtf he's going to get himself killed. But no. He rolled a crit like a BOSS and took Nimbul down in a single swing. I can never look at Xan as a whiny little wimp ever again. As far as I am concerned he has earned the right to be called a total badass.
  • shawnppickettshawnppickett Member Posts: 25
    Durlag's tower, I hated that trap laden hole in the ground. I'd send my thief ahead to scout for traps, find some, but a monster encounter would start, and my party would run to engage and set off the traps I'd just found but hadn't disarmed yet. Then there was the 3 greater basilisk on the upper levels that I had to be real careful to keep my main character back from so I didn't get stoned and had to re-load. All that trouble made it feel so good to beat that tower.

Athkatla, for some reason that city just seemed to have much more depth and liveliness than Baldur's Gate (might be because it was the sequel). I spent hours, hell probably days wandering that city exploring. There was enough gold to be made there, and enough good equipment to be found, that it took the sting out of loosing all of my good gear from Baldur's gate 1.