Skip to content

HELP please: Windows 8 stuck in endless auto repair loop

TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
I've never had so many issues than with Windows 8.1 on an Acer laptop, and I am on tops decidedly low-tech creature.

Has anyone here already resolved this problem to suggest least complicated way to resolve?

I am supposed to have a system image on USB stick I got when I bought my computer, but I am not sure which file actually prompts the re-imaging. (There are a whole lot of sub-folders in it)

I am not able to get the grey screen even when I stick the UBS-stick in, and restart computer. Would there be a specific command key I should press? (with Mac I recall there is a command mounting to "choose alternative disc")

I've also read that one could possibly force start on the c-drive (boot drive) using command prompt, in order to repair the disc in the live system.

If anyone has pointers, I would much appreciate it! I am so thankful I have my old war-horse of an iMac at this moment...

Comments

• TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Alprighty - I think this goes back to the shop (whose helpfulness is likely poor indeed) or I get so frustrated that I go for nuclear option of restoring it to factory settings losing all my files. Nothing critical that is not backed up, but I do hate the idea of having to download everything again...

However, I got to try out couple of things that did not help me but maybe prove useful to someone else:

- BIOS or "the grey screen" - F2 upon start-up does it, but it seems to be a timed thing as I at times had to repeat a couple of times to get there (ensure your PC is fully switched off)
    - I tried to boot from my hard-drive by adding "HDD:" to boot options in BIOS, and spooling it up to number one on priority list
    - I chose command prompt from "advanced" settings, and tried to restore by typing command "chkdsk /r C:"
    - If you choose "system restore option" note that there is a discreet little box to tick "show more restore points" if the most recent does not work

I am frankly dumbfounded that there is no fool-proof mechanism to break this loop, and boot in safety mode! What was Microsoft thinking with this OS??

I ran pretty much all advanced options for different kinds of start-up settings, but no joy. I wish I was good at these things...
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    I went straight from Windows XP to Windows 10 on my desktop and Win 7 before that but that was on desktop.
    The BIOS method and changing your boot device as your 'boot from' is the only thing I can think of. I've only ever repaired Windows once ever from disc and it took ages. Haven't worked on Windows stuff for a long time, sorry I'm no help.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    TStael said:

I am supposed to have a system image on USB stick I got when I bought my computer, but I am not sure which file actually prompts the re-imaging. (There are a whole lot of sub-folders in it)

That really depends on the image format.

If it was created using the Windows 8 backup imaging software built in, then you will want to plug it in and go to your Start menu and type Recovery. You should get prompts from there.

If that's how it was created and you can't figure out how to do the recovery, I'll see if I can get you some screenshots. :-)
    You're an awesome panda for helping out @Troodon80
    @sparkleav Thanks for commiserating in any case! :-) I had iMacs for ages before going for Windows HW, so the limitation of C: drive came as sort of a noobie surprise to me. Bootcamping has its own difficulties but it's frankly quite flexible.

I did not realise one could not resize C: on the fly because OS boots from there, so I think it's probably lack of disc-space that escalated the issue... Live and learn I suppose, but it's frustraaating.
    Hopefully Troodon80 will be able to help you fix it :)
    @Troodon80 Thanks - I am bit desperate so I am willing to try anything! Do note though that I'm stuck in this cycle where the computer tries to auto repair; then fails; then restarts and on-and-on it goes.

I could access the USB thing from BIOS (the gray screen) if that helps, and command prompt as well.

For love or money, I've not been able to get even the safety mode on, pressing the function indicated in "advanced" troubleshoot options, so I could uninstall a few things to make space and try to run repair.
    Quick question, for reference:
    TStael said:

I am frankly dumbfounded that there is no fool-proof mechanism to break this loop, and boot in safety mode! What was Microsoft thinking with this OS??

Are you not able to boot into safe mode?

If that's the case and you should want to try that, use hotkey combination WinKey + R, type in msconfig, then select Safe Boot from the Boot tab (note that you'll want to reset this once you're done). It should also be noted that there is very little you can do with the built-in administrator account, so whatever issues you are having are probably better dealt with via system recovery.

If you're able to boot into BIOS/UEFI mode or startup selection, then you could try that—select your USB drive from there. No matter what imaging software was used, that should work.
    TStael said:

I did not realise one could not resize C: on the fly because OS boots from there

There is software out there that lets you do that, but generally and traditionally it's not a good idea.
    @Troondon80 Thx for tips - but oh that auto repair is aggressive little thing, because I am unable to get anywhere with WinKey + R.

My concern - and I'll be glad if you tell me it's a silly one - is that if I re-image from that USB stick, it will not be a repair, but will lead into a version of an image that will not have any of "my" files.

I note also that having run the repair command from the command prompt that my system images are gone, I would have otherwise given you the error message I got trying to recover from that.

I have an option of "add drivers" which allows me to access various system folders (such as boot, recovery etc). Do you know if there could be files there worth trying, or if I could download something to a memory stick?

Any which way, it seems like I'm headed down the path of re-imaging as opposed to repairing. It's been educational at least!
    TStael said:

My concern - and I'll be glad if you tell me it's a silly one - is that if I re-image from that USB stick, it will not be a repair, but will lead into a version of an image that will not have any of "my" files.

Yes, a repair is almost the same as a format. The difference being that it will have whatever files or applications that were installed on the drive at the time the image was created. You'll lose any applications you had installed or any files such as pictures or documents (always keep a backup, and ideally a backup of that backup (and a backup of that for redundancy :P)).
    TStael said:

I note also that having run the repair command from the command prompt that my system images are gone, I would have otherwise given you the error message I got trying to recover from that.

I have an option of "add drivers" which allows me to access various system folders (such as boot, recovery etc). Do you know if there could be files there worth trying, or if I could download something to a memory stick?

Sorry, I need clarification on this, the first paragraph sounds as though the system image is no longer on the USB drive you mentioned? The second paragraph sounds as though you required drives in order to access it? Can you clarify?

So far as downloading; the only other option so far as trying to recover Windows 8—the best solution is to download the official ISO image and write that to a disc or USB drive, then boot from that to make a recovery (or grab the Windows 10 ISO image and do an upgrade if possible).

But, one issue at a time:
    TStael said:

Thx for tips - but oh that auto repair is aggressive little thing, because I am unable to get anywhere with WinKey + R.

You don't specifically need to use WinKey + R. If you can still use the command prompt (as per your comment above), type msconfig in there and hit enter.
    @Troodon80 Okei - thx a lot for clarifying the msconfig thing. Will try that! And then next the official ISO image solution, but I think I will leave that for tomorrow.

Been googling like mad and trying out different things that have made me feel out of depth since afternoon but thankful for the fora and hockey though! At least I have a secondary computer, but I do feel now that I should upgrade to Win10 asap.

Sorry for fuzzy explanation as well - I was trying to use a back-up from my computer, which would have lost only ten days' worth of data, but that had also error of sorts. Acer tutorial video was implying that the image I have on USB stick would lead into restoration of factory settings. However, either that or the ISO image should hopefully allow just to boot from an external source to get any sort of access to my C:-drive. (I am hoping at least)

Many thanks indeed for your generous help! It is much appreciated. :smiley:
    TStael said:

Acer tutorial video was implying that the image I have on USB stick would lead into restoration of factory settings.

That would be the case, yes. As I said, it's similar to a format. The difference being that it will have any applications and files that were on the system at the time the image was created—for example, Microsoft Office and possibly any anti-virus software that your OEM/system builder installed, as well as any Acer OEM software or drivers that comes bundled with the machine, but you will lose any files, folders, and applications that were on the machine after the image was created.

An upgrade to Windows 10, if it's still free (I think it is), should move the Windows folder (it should just rename it to Windows.old) and replace it with the new operating system. That should allow you to keep your personal folders (Documents, Pictures, Downloads, etc.) while also fixing whatever the issue is that you are having with Windows 8. And fingers crossed that you don't have yet more issues when you upgrade.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    With hindsight: if you have download-heavy games or apps, and Win O/S PC, map them unto that other partition but c: upfront.

Boot suffers a lot with Windows. With Mac OS it is quite empowered.

Both are but features, so I am not hostile to either, except maybe a bit to Win OS for not minimizing c: and not allowing personal installs to boot partition.

My take! And thx to all kindly advice from everyone. :smile: