Skip to content

Best sustained melee DPS class?

2»

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Both @DevardKrown and @sarevok57 make good arguments, but both fail to realize that dwarfs +5 saves are so much better than +1 STR :) So if we're talking sustained damage, the one who never fails a saving throw wins over the one with +1 to damage (or 2 at the start).
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    so for "best melee dps class" the answer is obvious - it's half-orc kensai.
    berserker is more tanky but do less damage and that's why they aren't winner.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I'd rather dual wield than run around with one two handed sword. That's better right?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited May 2016
    I'd mention something we have not mentioned:
    A monk is never weak, and gets very powerful during SoA and ToB, and I believe Dark Moon Monk effectively gets the largest possible DPR lategame, not taking Mislead/Backstab into account:
    With 25STR (Reachable with appropriate belt or with an innate 18 STR and all the buffs you can get here and there, and Righteous Magic from Headband of the devout) you'll deal, if I am correct, 43 damage per hit. That's slightly lower than the damage per hit of a Kensai with an optimal weapon, but you can use (and more importantly, stack multiple times) the Frozen Fist Ability, resulting in ridiculous Cold damage per hit.
    Besides, a monk may have a decent to good AC, has access to Hardiness, may easily reach 100% MR... A very good pick if you want damage AND sustainability.
    Post edited by Arunsun on
  • rickcrrickcr Member Posts: 77
    @Arrunsun A monk sounds really cool - if for nothing else, they're 'different' How do you like to play the monk? Run around and beat up mages in the face while the melee guys take on the melee mobs?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    rickcr said:

@Arrunsun A monk sounds really cool - if for nothing else, they're 'different' How do you like to play the monk? Run around and beat up mages in the face while the melee guys take on the melee mobs?

I've not played one, but from what I've seen about monks, they start squishy (BG1) but by BG2 they can tank both melee types and mage types alike.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited May 2016
    Mislead assassin/mage or mislead thief/mage or mislead fighter/mage/thief. Basically mislead and backstab, I can't think of a better version of sustained DPS than that.
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    a sharman can dance all day... sending in as many spirits as it takes without coming under fire herself.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    ussnorway said:

a sharman can dance all day... sending in as many spirits as it takes without coming under fire herself.

Would take quite a lot of them to take Amelyssan or Demogorgon down