Skip to content

Choosing Between Two Similar Weapons

Does anyone know of a formula or good way to choose between two similar weapons that factors in THAC0, Damage Range, and Attacks Per Round? I have 2 crossbows that one is 3 attacks per round and one that is two. The 3 per round does 4 - 12 with THAC0 of 7 and the 2 per round does 5-12 with THAC0 of 3. Neither grants any additional bonuses. I would think you could add up the least amount of damage either could do per hit, then factor for To Hit percentage. But, I am a language person, NOT a math person. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    I'd chose the one with lower THAC0. Going from THAC0 7 to 3 is a good upgrade IMO.

I have no math equation for this, but my logic is that with the 7 THAC0 one even though you have more attacks per round you'll also be missing more.
  • Aaedyn1987Aaedyn1987 Member Posts: 41
    Right that is why my linear mind wants a cut and dry formula to say based on probability this one will do more damage over time than this one. Haha.
  • KampfKaninchenKampfKaninchen Member Posts: 139
    That depends on the enemies AC. If you would hit anyways, besides a critical miss, that would be AC5, then ofc you are better off with more attacks.
    Avg. damage (4+12)/2=8 *3=24 DMG per round vs. Avg. damage (5+12)/2=8.5 *2=17

On AC0 it would be 16,8 damage/round vs. 15,3 damage/round. So the lower the enemies AC, the more useful is better THAC0.
    But generally speaking, the extra attack is more useful.

With those stats, you almost have an equilibrium, if the enemy has AC-4. (12dmg/r vs 11,9 dmg/r). And there are not that many enemies out there with such an AC. In BG/SoD at least.
    Thanks Kamp just was I was looking for.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Basically I see it as situational: It depends on things like; which opponents you're facing (and at what level), what your own AC is, how much damage you can take etc.

Generally speaking I would go for THACO over APR any day of the week, except when going up a against Mages when spell interruption is more important than damage infliction (imho) - but you can easily bump up APR with Haste spells or potions.

If in doubt, keep both?
    Awesome info joluv thanks.